Feeling disappointed

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    TLL09 wrote: »
    bannedword wrote: »

I'm sorry you feel that way but I put in everything I eat and this is whats happening. If you have no helpful comments then please post elsewhere. Thank you

That's not exactly how the internet works. You can't just dismiss me from an open chat board just because you don't like what I am saying.

And frankly, every thing I have posted has been helpful.

Try opening your diary. Try answering the questions you've been asked, like are you weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth. Try understanding that weight loss is not mystical and mysterious. It's science, and if you aren't getting the expected outcomes, it is generally because one of your inputs is incorrect.

@bannedword You could use some compassion and kindness in your wording and people would likely be more receptive to your opinion. A lot of people have medical issues that make them "special little snowflakes" as you put it.

As for the OP, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for your weight gain. As previously suggested, using a scale and measuring your food would be helpful in accurately tracking calories. If it is indeed some other reason, eliminating possibilities one at a time should point to the problem.

But you see she logs everything. She won't answer the question on whether she weighs and measures it.
  • CiaraMDalton
    CiaraMDalton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    But what your not understanding is I'm not here to be judged. My statement said I'm feeling disappointed... I know people that said this is a great support system. And I believe it can be. I'm sorry some of you miss understood my request. I was need of words of I couragement like keep trying,just keep weighing and counting. I won't be posting again.
  • TLL09
    TLL09 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way but I put in everything I eat and this is whats happening. If you have no helpful comments then please post elsewhere. Thank you

That's not exactly how the internet works. You can't just dismiss me from an open chat board just because you don't like what I am saying.

Try opening your diary. Try answering the questions you've been asked, like are you weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth. Try understanding that weight loss is not mystical and mysterious. It's science, and if you aren't getting the expected outcomes, it is generally because one of your inputs is incorrect.

@bannedword You could use some compassion and kindness in your wording and people would likely be more receptive to your opinion. A lot of people have medical issues that make them "special little snowflakes" as you put it.

As for the OP, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for your weight gain. As previously suggested, using a scale and measuring your food would be helpful in accurately tracking calories. If it is indeed some other reason, eliminating possibilities one at a time should point to the problem.

But you see she logs everything. She won't answer the question on whether she weighs and measures it.

We have given her something to think about. It is hard to post on here and leave yourself open to others opinions. I think she is brave and will figure this out.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you think you're logging everything if you're logging it all incorrectly. People are trying to help. If you wanted to sulk and not listen to anyone, why bother posting here?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

We have given her something to think about. It is hard to post on here and leave yourself open to others opinions. I think she is brave and will figure this out.

I agree if she's open to others suggestions. Hopefully she'll read some links.

I've been a long time vegetarian. I know the struggle, I gained weight when I wasn't vegetarian and when I was.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But what your not understanding is I'm not here to be judged. My statement said I'm feeling disappointed... I know people that said this is a great support system. And I believe it can be. I'm sorry some of you miss understood my request. I was need of words of I couragement like keep trying,just keep weighing and counting. I won't be posting again.

No one here is judging you. We are simply asking questions to try to help and encourage you. Maybe help you see things you might be missing, we have ALL been in your shoes. We are actually trying to save you some time and frustration.

You can log all day long, if you are not measuring and weighing your food then you really do not know how much you are eating. When I got a food scale it was VERY eye opening. If you are eye balling portions it is very much out of whack with what the serving size really is. If you are off on everything you eat by 50 calories...say you eat 9 items a day...50 calories over on each is 450 calories. You wouldn't really be at a deficit to lose weight.

If you want pats on the head and people saying it's going to be okay, then posting on the internet isn't the place to be. We are actually trying to help you.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ciara, I will add one more thing. I am sorry yo felt you were attacked. I can honestly say when I post on here I am taking the time out to try and help someone. I think most others feel the same. It may not always come off as encouraging, but you want a solution right?

I will tell you I have logged almost daily for a year and a half. That time was spent reading, researching, trial and error, learning how to log correctly etc...almost to the point of obsession. I am 50. I have found out I gain weight above 1800 cals/day. I maintain at between 1500-1800, and I lose when I stay below 1500. It took a long time to learn those numbers! Sorry, I know you're done with this...but if you want good solid advice and support feel free to friend request me.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    It's been one week. You could lose about 2 lb in a (very strict calorie controlled) week but your body weight can fluctuate up to 5lb naturally from water retention so you may not see it so quickly. How do you know your calorie intake is less that you burned? Did you count calories?

Yes I have I figured it was best. My doctor stated that I'm not eating enough calories so my weight is staying the same...then I've tried this new food choice and gained 5 pounds.

Your doctor is 100% wrong. That is ridiculous.

No, the doctor is right...in order to properly lose weight, you need to eat often (4-6 times a day) and enough calories. "Starvation" will hang onto the fat in your body and will not let go because of the defense mechanism built in to prevent "starvation".
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm a little uncomfortable seeing "husband" and "demand" in the same sentence. Nobody determines what I eat except me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

No, the doctor is right...in order to properly lose weight, you need to eat often (4-6 times a day) and enough calories. "Starvation" will hang onto the fat in your body and will not let go because of the defense mechanism built in to prevent "starvation".[/quote]

There is absolutely no science behind this statement. You can eat however often you want to and that whole starvation mode thing is bunk.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    hugheseva wrote: »

No, the doctor is right...in order to properly lose weight, you need to eat often (4-6 times a day) and enough calories. "Starvation" will hang onto the fat in your body and will not let go because of the defense mechanism built in to prevent "starvation".

It was only a matter of time until someone invoked "starvation mode".

Sorry I'm not sorry that some folks think I'm not nice enough. I don't really care. I do know I am right. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. There are no special snowflakes. Yes, there are people with medical issues, but they too will lose weight if they eat at a deficit, albeit more slowly.

No one gains 9 pounds in 2 weeks from eating at a deficit. Unless they are pregnant, and even then, whoa. I gained like 9 pounds in the first HALF of my pregnancy, which I'm pretty sure was longer than 2 weeks.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's been one week. You could lose about 2 lb in a (very strict calorie controlled) week but your body weight can fluctuate up to 5lb naturally from water retention so you may not see it so quickly. How do you know your calorie intake is less that you burned? Did you count calories?

Yes I have I figured it was best. My doctor stated that I'm not eating enough calories so my weight is staying the same...then I've tried this new food choice and gained 5 pounds.

I eat very little during the day. The vast majority (3/4) of my calorie intake is eaten between 6-10pm when I get home from work, but before I go to bed.

I've lost 90 lbs.

Eating at a deficit is important. Meeting your nuritional goals (Macros) each day is important. When and how you do this is not important.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say why without looking at your diary but there are a number of reasons this could be the case...Salt, carbs, calories. Something isnt adding up
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body wants meat? It sounds like some part of the way you are eating vegetarian isn't working for you. Too many calories or carbs or water retention or illness? I hope you find your solution.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

No. This is completely false. This man says it better than I ever could.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal/view/starvation-mode-is-a-myth-661119
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Please go read The Biology of Human Starvation before posting again. This is not a true statement, and it's been empirically proven.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You haven't gained 9 real pounds, you might be retaining a lot of water but in order to gain 9 pounds in 2 weeks you would have to ingest an extra 31,500 calories in that time period, that is a hell of a lot of cake and ice cream to consume and even if you aren't weighing your food and you are eating more than you think as so many are saying, I would go ahead and bet you aren't eating that much. Just keep moving forward talk to your doctor and see where you are in a few weeks. And ignore everyone that thinks you really gained 9 pounds of fat in 14 days.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Sorry some people can be really abrasive on this site. If you're looking for a more positive community/support system with tips, exercises, meal plans, etc to get you back on track, I would highly suggest following fitgirlsguide on instagram, or checking out the blogilates site/instagram. I find they tend to be much more positive, and those are the sites I'll go on when I'm stuck in a rut and need a boost out.

Good luck!