Food Diary for Men

Options
Anybody have any food diaries they could share, particularly the men in here? I just started calorie counting my food this week and I'm making great progress, not even a full week in. I need some meal ideas to follow. Currently, my daily goal is to consume no more than 1630 cals/day. I've been under that and experienced a 1lb loss in 4 days.

Would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wasnt aware that males and females ate different meals. Also, 1500 calories is a minimum for dudes.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I wasnt aware that males and females ate different meals.

It's in the bible.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Right? Because none of us little ladies know how to eat
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Height and fitness goals have more to do with it than gender, you might find it more useful to solicit opinions from people of a similar height who are looking to lose similar amounts of weight. If you wanna take a look at mine it's public, I have a similar calorie goal to yours and have been consistently losing/recomping.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I am a female, 5'4", and I'm losing weight on 1700 calories a day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

It's in the bible.
    slaite1 wrote: »

Give the guy a break. How many threads you see of ladies asking other ladies about anything for resistance training like men don't know?

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

It's in the bible.

Give the guy a break. How many threads you see of ladies asking other ladies about anything for resistance training like men don't know?

All in good humor.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

It's in the bible.

All in good humor.

Agreed. :smile:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.

Agreed 1630 is low. The goal is to determine how much you can eat while still losing steadily. The TDEE calculators can help you sort that out, then keep track and adjust as needed.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Agreed 1630 is low. The goal is to determine how much you can eat while still losing steadily. The TDEE calculators can help you sort that out, then keep track and adjust as needed.

That may be your goal; that is not everyone's goal. It could theoretically be defined as a math equation.

"Dieting" is any unnatural restriction in your food intake and as such produces a product that we'll call unhappiness. Unhappiness is proportional to the daily level of unhappiness (proportional to calorie deficit level) multiplied by time.

A small deficit diet may have unhappiness X1 with diet duration to goal of Y1, yielding unhappiness X1Y1.
    A large deficit may have unhappiness X2 and diet duration to goal of Y2, yielding unhappiness of X2Y2.

It is possible for X2 to exceed X1 (more short term unhappiness) and Y2 to be less than Y1 (shorter time of dieting) and have the product X2Y2 be less than the product X1Y1. Hence for some people in some settings, a faster diet may have more short term pain but a net benefit in the end.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

That may be your goal; that is not everyone's goal. It could theoretically be defined as a math equation.

"Dieting" is any unnatural restriction in your food intake and as such produces a product that we'll call unhappiness. Unhappiness is proportional to the daily level of unhappiness (proportional to calorie deficit level) multiplied by time.

A small deficit diet may have unhappiness X1 with diet duration to goal of Y1, yielding unhappiness X1Y1.
    A large deficit may have unhappiness X2 and diet duration to goal of Y2, yielding unhappiness of X2Y2.

It is possible for X2 to exceed X1 (more short term unhappiness) and Y2 to be less than Y1 (shorter time of dieting) and have the product X2Y2 be less than the product X1Y1. Hence for some people in some settings, a faster diet may have more short term pain but a net benefit in the end.

Did you miss the part where he said he eats lower than that? Good grief, you love to type.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Did you miss the part where he said he eats lower than that? Good grief, you love to type.

I didn't miss it. Maybe I missed the part of MFP that says I must eat PRECISELY the prescribed number of calories each and ever day. Could you forward me that link? If he at 1620 instead of 1630, is that a cause for concern for you? He said he eats under his goal - meaning he doesn't over-eat.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I didn't miss it. Maybe I missed the part of MFP that says I must eat PRECISELY the prescribed number of calories each and ever day. Could you forward me that link? If he at 1620 instead of 1630, is that a cause for concern for you? He said he eats under his goal - meaning he doesn't over-eat.

Your interpretation may vary, of course, but to me the salient point of mentioning that his goal is an upper limit is that regardless of activity he's apparently only ever intending to at at 1630 at most. I have no idea what his exercise is like, but it's probably worth mentioning that placing an upper limit on calories also caps the capacity for activity helping to determine one's intake.

• AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options

It's in the bible.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Not to mention those of use who are bigger (height/frame size) than a lot of men...
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options

It's in the bible.

Thank you last quote...Please do not look so deep into the headline. I'm merely wondering what other men eat to achieve their goals. Like he said, there are tons of other posts specifically for women. Ladies, let us have 1 of your 100 mil. Thank you all for your input.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a goal of 1640, but usually eat more than that due to exercise. However, my meal planning helps me stay in that 1640 range on days that I don't exercise, and I am never full. I'm 5'7" 259lb sedentary (office job) with a goal weight of 160 (tip top of the "healthy" bmi chart for my height).
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    im eating around 3000 cals. but i also gym alot. currently on a 2 week keto phase. but ill log everything over the next 12 weeks so you can see my results.