Carbohydrates, protein & fat.

Options
Should I set my own? I'm currently following MFP recommendations but am not sure if they're correct.

I'm female, 25, 135lbs and am trying to get to 112lbs. I'm doing 30 mins of cardio a day.

MFP has set them to:

carbs: 150g
fat: 40g
protein: 60g

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I bumped my protein % up a bit because I am trying to hang onto as much lean muscle as I can (over 50). I want to lose mostly fat. BUT, an aggressive weekly weight loss goal and an all cardio approach wouldn't help me hang onto lean muscle anyway.

So in other words.....it depends upon your goals. How many calories are you eating overall? Will you be adding weight training?
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm staying around 1200. Sometimes going a little under, sometimes a little over (by about 20-60 cals). I haven't been weight training as I have no access to gym equipment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Will plagiarize myself from another thread:

The first time I used MFP, in 2012, I just used the MFP default macros: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. This time around, I reduced my carbs and upped my protein and found this combo fills me up better, thus making it easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit.

When a meal doesn't have meat in it, I look at the ratios to see if I need to add protein. I have smaller portions of carby foods like rice and pasta. Yesterday I felt good - had lots of energy, did yoga in the AM and gardened after work, and by EOD hit 46 % carbs, 30 % protein and 23 % fat.
  • TeaBea
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    I'm staying around 1200. Sometimes going a little under, sometimes a little over (by about 20-60 cals). I haven't been weight training as I have no access to gym equipment.

1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum (so your weekly weight loss goal IS aggressive). That 1200 should be 1200 PLUS exercise calories. Strength training can be started without gym equipment (body weight)....squats, push ups, planks....google You Are Your Own Gym. Strength training just helps you hang onto muscle....you won't be adding any muscle (when eating at a deficit).

Anyway, I would be more concerned with adding calories....than just macros at this point. Setting calories & macros here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Only absolute is about 0.8 grams of protein/kg every day and the essential fatty acids. You body does not REQUIRE any carbohydrates at all, although athletic performance will be reduced if you deplete your glycogen stores. There is a significant cadre of people whose weight loss performance is enhanced by really limiting carbohydrate. Many of these people are insulin resistant. If this isn't you, than it really doesn't matter.

Personally, I find fats more satiating for the same calorie content and I definitely do better with limited carbs. Your 60 grams of protein is probably great and you can choose your energy source based upon what works for you.

• haleyjones7
    haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would worry about your calories as well.. 1200 as stated is the lowest that you should probably go however, going below may be very unhealthy and cause your body to think that you are starving. You may initially lose weight however when you begin a maintenance plan you are probably going to gain it back.

If you are looking for long term loss, I would reconsider the cals.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would worry about your calories as well.. 1200 as stated is the lowest that you should probably go however, going below may be very unhealthy and cause your body to think that you are starving. You may initially lose weight however when you begin a maintenance plan you are probably going to gain it back.

2 years ago I lost 4 stone by doing what I'm doing now and didn't gain any of it back so it works fine for me. I only recently gained a little weight because I over indulged after moving in with my other half.
  • TeaBea
    Options

2 years ago I lost 4 stone by doing what I'm doing now and didn't gain any of it back so it works fine for me. I only recently gained a little weight because I over indulged after moving in with my other half.

If it's just the number on the scale....then macros only matter if you are having trouble staying full. Eat whatever keeps you satiated.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do a 40-40-20 carbohydrate split. I'm a 37 year old male at 165 lbs. I eat more protein to build lean mass. IMHO your exercise regiment should include some weight training. And you don't need a gym. Push-ups and resistance bands and a couple of free weights. I had to greatly modify MFP. I try to do .8 times my weight to figure out how much protein I need. 0.8 is a generic #. Everyone responds differently to fats/carbs/protein - make tweaks and see what works best but start with MFP recommendation - you can find recommendations more tailored to you via online sources or a dietitian
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

This has happened to me three relationships in a row >.<

I cook differently for a man than I do myself, and spend a lot less time at the gym.

• cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Remember losing weight isn't the same as getting lean. Some weight training will accelerate your progress to losing weight. Muscle increases your metabolism allowing you to burn more calories.