Any of you losing weight without a heart rate monitor?

Options
I'd like to get a heart rate monitor but don't really have the extra money for one at the moment.

So, have any of you managed to lose weight good with just counting calories & eating back your execise cals using the cals burned numbers given on this site? Just wondering as I have not sure how accurate that is....

Replies

• mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in January. You can see my total weight loss in my signature. I do not own a HRM. I would like to get one though. I just can not afford one right now.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM, and I didn't come to this site to lose weight: just to eat healthier and maintain.
    I lost weight anyway because I was still eating slightly under calories for a while.
    I logged my exercise as well and ate back those calories.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I lost all of mine w/o one. Didn't even know exactly how much I was eating ;)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before I ever used an HRM and before I ever started counting calories. And so have millions of people before us. I only started with the calorie counting when I got to the "home stretch" so to speak. So yes, you can definitely succeed without one.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am...but I stopped eating my exercise calories because I kept maintaining. This is a short fix before my body goes into starvation mode. AND I hope I'm not messing up my metabolism. I know MFP is not giving me the correct calories to eat. I workout 5 days a week. I do pilates, spin, and weight training. When I was eating my cals back the scale was bouncing up and down

I would love to see the answer to this question. I also cant afford a HRM.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I started on here in February. I do not have an HRM
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks and I do not use nor do I intend to use an HRM. I just eat healthy and bike about 40 minutes per day.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Totally using ONLY this site and it has worked.
    I tend to overestimate my calories and underestimate my exercise a little bit.
    You can get amazing results without the monitor - and if you get really a lot into exercise and have some money to spare, then buy it. Until then, you wont need it, in my opinion.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs and no HRM!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't use one, other than the ones in my EA Active Sports 2 "game," which I don't think is terribly accurate anyway. But for everything else, I use MFP's calculations, and have been doing that faithfully since January.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ive never owned a HRM..But if you plan on eating back exercise calories then it is a MUST...I dont eat them so its not as detrimental
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have lost 39lbs. without one and I started this site Jan. 31,2011. I do want to get one though so I can see what I burn during my normal day. I eat my exercise calories back and workout 7 days a week.
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i don't have the $$ right now either. I have been doing okay. Probably would do better with one, but its not too bad. Although I don't eat back my cals.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hrm. I was losing better before I started eating back the exercise calories MFP says I burned. If I start eating them again I'm only going to eat 1/4 of them.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I started on here about 6 weeks ago and lost 3.5 lbs in the first month, after working out for months and losing nothing. Guess I was eating too much so this helps me keep on track. I don't have a HRM. My weight loss has stopped for now as my knee is out of commission for a couple of weeks. But I am happy enough with results here to recommend to some friends and family.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't have one, have'nt really needed it, not looking for my max train zone yet, just doing calorie burning and a lot of sweating on my exercise bike, and rowing machine, 30 minutes each, everyday. However, saying all that I just ordered one last week on www.woot.com., 9 bucks. I have so far lost 15 lbs, I know it says 12 but I only update on Tuesdays.
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    InspiredByStreisand42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor, but then I don't tend to eat back my exercise calories. I've lost 1.7 pounds a week on average since I started losing weight, and not eating back my exercise cals has had no effect on my weight loss as I have my cals set to losing 1.5lbs per week. I've also never had this much energy or felt this good! Obviously you can tell I'm trying to justify not eating them back, but I am telling the truth, I promise!

However, if, for some reason, I did decide to eat them back, I would definitely get myself a HRM (at the moment I can't afford one), because I wouldn't want to rely on what MFP says I'm burning!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You don't need a hrm to lose weight. It's just a tool many find useful to track their calories burned. I have one and love it however that was a recent purchase. I lost weight before I even knew what a hrm is. You can do it!!!,, with or without the monitor :)

Good luck :)
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    A heart rate monitor might be nice to have, but is not at all necessary to be successful!

I have my activity level set to sedentary and I eat back my exercise calories as estimated by MFP and I've lost 35 pounds in about 4 months. About 5 weeks ago I actually bumped up my net intake to at least 1500 calories (I'm 5'8") and things seem to be continuing at the same rate as before.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm just using the info on this site so far and I'm losing weight. I'd like to get an HRM though and plan to in the near future. I think it will help me learn to maintain.