Nursing school - meal planning help

Options
Oy vey. So I'm starting nursing school in the fall - yay! My life is about to get crazy-pants busy, and I'm nervous about finding meals that work in my schedule and also in my calorie goals.

I'm a 5'6" (5'7" on a good morning ;)) woman at 184 lbs, currently trying to eat at 1200 calories; but may up that to 1500 after I get in school if I start feeling worn down.

I'm looking for meal suggestions between 300-500 calories and that are super easy and can last without refrigeration for 4-5 hours. I have a 1 hour 10 min lunch break between classes but I commute to the school so I won't have time to run home for anything. I'm unsure if I'll have access to a microwave or hot water (for ramen type things). I don't have the money to eat out or grab something from the school cafeteria every day. I would prefer no wrap suggestions because I'm planning on doing daily homemade frozen breakfast burritos to eat on the car ride to school. I am also not a big fan of sandwiches (I "overdosed" on PB during my adolescent years and still cannot eat it!!).

Here are my ideas:
- salads
- soups/chili in my thermos
- uhmmmmm........?

So.... what else you got? Any fantastic recipes or inspiring ideas?! Thanks MFP :smile:

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Congrats on nursing school! It is tough, but it is so rewarding. :) I graduated about 5 years ago with my BSN.

I'm 5'6 and started around 190 pounds. I was eating about 1700 cals and still steadily losing. I, personally, would recommend maybe upping your calorie limits. You may end up dragging during clinicals.

For work, I take sandwiches. I know you said, you don't like them, but it's what I take for work every day. Is there a lunch meat you prefer? Also, google some lettuce wrap ideas. It's a way to keep lunch time different. Maybe that will work. Do you have a cold pack to throw in your lunch box? I throw one in and a Tupperware container of frozen strawberries. It tends to keep my lunch pretty cold until it's break time.

Salads are definitely an option. Make sure to measure your salad dressing out since the calories can really add up if you don't. Soups are great as well, but they tend to be high in sodium, as an FYI.

I pack a protein bar, a few pieces of fruit/ veggies, some crackers or chips as my snacks.

Also side note: Are you living on campus? My campus cafeteria would provide a bag lunch for students whose class schedule ran during meal times. That may be an option as well. :)
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Up the calories and try to work in at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. Will help with weight and keeping your brain healthy. Keep the processed foods to a min (that means eat out as little as possible) and that will help with what was mentioned above. I rely on yogurt and fresh fruit during the day and try to eat a sensible meal at night.

Might suggest a FitBit or some other tracker. Will tell you when you've had a busy day physically and can eat a few extra calories.
  • Azexas
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pittdan77 wrote: »
    Up the calories and try to work in at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. Will help with weight and keeping your brain healthy. Keep the processed foods to a min (that means eat out as little as possible) and that will help with what was mentioned above. I rely on yogurt and fresh fruit during the day and try to eat a sensible meal at night.

Might suggest a FitBit or some other tracker. Will tell you when you've had a busy day physically and can eat a few extra calories.

There is nothing inherently wrong with processed food as long as OP is sticking to her calorie and macro goals and getting most of her intake from nutritionally dense food. The definition is so vague as well.

I'll add as a side note: During nursing school I found that setting time aside for myself helped with my stress level. Whether is was watching a movie or playing a video game, taking a break from school work helped me in the long run.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    emereey wrote: »
    Oy vey. So I'm starting nursing school in the fall - yay! My life is about to get crazy-pants busy, and I'm nervous about finding meals that work in my schedule and also in my calorie goals.

I'm a 5'6" (5'7" on a good morning ;)) woman at 184 lbs, currently trying to eat at 1200 calories; but may up that to 1500 after I get in school if I start feeling worn down.

I'm looking for meal suggestions between 300-500 calories and that are super easy and can last without refrigeration for 4-5 hours. I have a 1 hour 10 min lunch break between classes but I commute to the school so I won't have time to run home for anything. I'm unsure if I'll have access to a microwave or hot water (for ramen type things). I don't have the money to eat out or grab something from the school cafeteria every day. I would prefer no wrap suggestions because I'm planning on doing daily homemade frozen breakfast burritos to eat on the car ride to school. I am also not a big fan of sandwiches (I "overdosed" on PB during my adolescent years and still cannot eat it!!).

Here are my ideas:
    - salads
    - soups/chili in my thermos
    - uhmmmmm........?

So.... what else you got? Any fantastic recipes or inspiring ideas?! Thanks MFP :smile:

The 'no refrigeration' thing makes it tricky. You can't use a lunch container with room for those blue ice things?

The no refrigeration issue can be solved with the use of an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack. about 98% of the food I bring to work I heat up in the microwave, so I am not the best help. If you bring salads, PLEASE do not dress it until you are about to eat it.
  • emereey
    emereey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Congrats on nursing school! It is tough, but it is so rewarding. :) I graduated about 5 years ago with my BSN......

Thanks for all of the input! I'm excited, but nervous. I'm in a 2 year program for an ADN (my area is still hiring ADNs), and then plan to bridge to a BSN or MSN... But that's a lot further down the line!

I'm not living on campus or have a meal plan, so I don't really have that option. I'm taking out a bit more loans for this so I don't have to work a ton during school - I really want to keep my costs as low as possible. I may have to buck up and just chow down on some sammies. *shiver*

And I TOTALLY don't mind eating processed food! Meh, whatever gets me through these next 2 years alive and not 30 lbs heavier.
  • emereey
    Options

I'm working out pretty consistently right now. Running 3-10 miles/day and lifting. My workouts may drift more towards the elliptical so I can study and get a workout in during school. I should have stated that my net calorie goal is 1200 a day - I eat back most exercise calories (I know you shouldn't eat all back since it grossly overstates).

I don't mind eating processed foods, and in all honesty, I realize that I may be relying on processed stuff throughout school. Time will just be limited.

I forgot about yogurt. Hmmm.. Maybe I'll see if I can do a yogurt parfait thing with almonds, greek yogurt and fruit....
  • Azexas
    Options

I'm working out pretty consistently right now. Running 3-10 miles/day and lifting. My workouts may drift more towards the elliptical so I can study and get a workout in during school. I should have stated that my net calorie goal is 1200 a day - I eat back most exercise calories (I know you shouldn't eat all back since it grossly overstates).

I don't mind eating processed foods, and in all honesty, I realize that I may be relying on processed stuff throughout school. Time will just be limited.

I forgot about yogurt. Hmmm.. Maybe I'll see if I can do a yogurt parfait thing with almonds, greek yogurt and fruit....

You can always do tuna fish on a wrap. But invest in an insulated lunch box with cold packs. It will make life easier.

I find that snacks high in fat and protein keep me fuller longer. So beef jerky, protein bars, cheese. Things like that.

The area I work in its almost impossible to find a job as an asn. That's awesome you are in an area that still looks for asn.
  • emereey
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Please don't do the yogurt parfait thing if you honestly can't refrigerate stuff for 4-5 hours. Just to try to asking this again - are you able to use an insulated lunch container with an ice pack, or not? If you can, I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions. If you can't, that limits things a lot.

Sorry - I think I should be able to use an insulated container with an ice pack. Just don't have one at the moment! I'll have to look into buying one. With the yogurt, I was thinking if I could buy one of those cold insulator mugs (that they sell for smoothies or whatnot)... But maybe that still wouldn't keep it cold long enough?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My nursing school has a microwave. Your campus doesn't have a cafeteria? Our cafeteria has lots of good options. Anyway, to be honest I usually just pack a Quest bar, some cheese squares and grapes, and maybe some peanut butter and honey crackers. I eat between class but I'm usually too busy to be very hungry. Nursing school takes a lot out of you.

ETA: just saw your bit about the cafeteria being expensive. Ours is too, so some people will buy a meal plan, which takes a bit off. I just don't eat there very often. Also, avoid any campus cafés; they'll try to sell you half a PB&J for $5.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have an insulated-type lunch bag that I bought at Target and I never put those blue cold packs in it. I routinely take hummus, yogurt, cheese, lunch meat, leftovers.... all without a blue cold thing. I pack it at about 7:00 a.m. and usually eat at around 11:30 or so (substitute teacher). Never been poisoned yet. :) Everything I put in it is cold from the refrigerator so the insulated bag keeps it fine.

Some things I take:
    -- cheese rolled in lunch meat
    -- cheese sticks or babybel rounds
    -- cut up raw veggies and hummus
    -- cherry tomatoes
    -- salads
    -- pepperoni
    -- sweet potato
    -- mixed roasted veggies -- I like these cold
    -- leftovers
    -- yogurt
    -- granola/protein bars
    -- soup in a thermos -- they make them especially for soup so it's more squat that a regular coffee thermos
    -- fruit
    -- nuts
    -- jerky
    -- crackers

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I do some combination of the above things, making sure I have enough protein.