week 1 didn't cheat and gained 2 lbs.

Options
So defeated. Week 1 No cheating stuck right to low carb keto diet meal plans. Kept calories under 1400 and carbs 20 or below and I gained 2 lbs.

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    No you didn't :) just a fluctuation.
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are u retaining water? Are u constipated (tmi)? There are many factors to take into consideration. Don't get discouraged.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ya man come back in a few weeks if that 2 lb is still there
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you want some possible pointers, open you diary :smile:
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    are you being accurate? Logging every little thing you eat, weighing food, etc? Personally, I always make sure I have a couple hundred calorie deficit from exercising because I know that the FDA allows a 20% margin of error on calories, and that there's not really a way to know for sure exactly how many calories I'm burning doing any particular exercise.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    "Week1".

Your body is still adjusting. Relax. Keep doing the right thing, and you will see results.

Also, patience is key or you'll be disappointed a lot.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I know that the FDA allows a 20% margin of error on calories.

I didn't know that! :open_mouth: I'm really surprised it's that high an acceptable error, wow...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It might be a combination of water weight and weight gain from the week before you started tracking. It always takes 2-3 days ffrom the time I pigged out to when the weight gain shows up. One week isn't enough time. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the first weight loss to show up as your body adjusts.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue but after researching, I concluded that a lot of people who just start a workout routine, their muscles end up retaining water. when you first start working out and your body is not used to it your muscles get tiny tears and your body tries to repair it with water or fluid I am Not sure I am NOT a doctor nor trainer so I don't know exactly what happens but that is the basics. so normally the weight gain is due to the water retention. after your body gets accustomed to your workout then you will begin to see The weight loss. this is why a lot of people give up so early into their workouts but knowing this definitely helped me to keep going. I hope this helps.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Did you start a new exercise program or step up your workouts significantly? If so, it could be water weight from a buildup of mitochondrial fluid as your muscles repair and adjust. Normally I'd say it could be glycogen as well, but if your plan is truly ketogenic, you should see a depletion rather than an increase.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Many people (including me) tend to puff up for the first week or two, just stay consistent. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • bethany_green
    bethany_green Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your water weight can fluctuate 10-15 lbs so try not to obsess on the scale too much! Also, if your muscles are sore, you are retaining water. I'm on Day 14 of Keto and lost 15 lbs so far. My weight stalled the first week and I gained 3 back then WHOOSH! :) Hang in there!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    are you being accurate? Logging every little thing you eat, weighing food, etc? Personally, I always make sure I have a couple hundred calorie deficit from exercising because I know that the FDA allows a 20% margin of error on calories, and that there's not really a way to know for sure exactly how many calories I'm burning doing any particular exercise.

Can someone provide support for the 20% margin of error claim? I mean the actual reg, not popular press reports. As far as i can tell, the assertion is, at best, highly misleading, based on the fact that calories are rounded to the nearest 10(100 calories, not 96 or 104) so that at a low calorie level the rounding error can be high
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Can someone provide support for the 20% margin of error claim? I mean the actual reg, not popular press reports. As far as i can tell, the assertion is, at best, highly misleading, based on the fact that calories are rounded to the nearest 10(100 calories, not 96 or 104) so that at a low calorie level the rounding error can be high

See section entitled :

How Compliance Works -- Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR 101.9(g))

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm063113.htm#stat_5
  • eddiecoffin1
    eddiecoffin1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to help if you open your diary. Without that I will agree with everyone else that it might be water retention at best and inaccurate recording at worst .
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Did you eat an excess of 7000 calories over your maintenance calories?

No? Then it's just water fluctuations.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't lose a single gram in the first 10 days. I decided that if I didn't lose something by the 2-week point, I would give up this weightloss nonsense ... and suddenly on Day 11, I started losing weight. 14.5 weeks later, I hit my goal weight.

You've got to stick to the plan, and be meticulous about weighing, logging, and staying within your calorie limit.