What was your turning point?

Options
slhall0822
slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
Those of you who have succeeded in achieving your weight loss and fitness goals (or are well on your way to succeeding), what was your turning point?

I'm no where near the goal line. And I've had many turning points, all of which I've eventually slacked on and started back at the starting line... but this time feels different.

My most recent turning point was realizing I was too exhausted to play with my toddler when she gleefully bounded up to me, held out her hands, and said in her sweetest little voice, "Mommy... wanna play with me???".

It was at that exact moment that I realized that it's complete and utter BS that I'm 32 and have ZERO energy most of the time. Granted, keeping up with a toddler is likely at times exhausting for even the most conditioned of athletes... but I'll be damned if my kid remembers me as the fat, frumpy mom... I have to get this under control before she realizes I'm not as cool as her little toddler brain thinks I am LOL.

Replies

• slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bueller... bueller...
  • aunjerikap
    aunjerikap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a filmmaker. So my actors wanted to take pics with me but I was embarrassed. Then when i saw the picks. I was even more embarrased. I realized if I wanted to continue this career path. I need to get used to taking pics. I want to be able to look at my pics and smile
  • barby8051
    barby8051 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have been "on a diet" for most of my adult life. Mid-fifties now and am currently on a downward trend in my cycle of yo yo'ing weight loss/gain. Down almost 90 lbs with 40 to 50 remaining to achieve average weight for my height. However, I am hoping to lose as much as I can without looking anorexic because 10+ years of being over 300 lbs has not done my joints any favors. Hips, knees, and feet are shot with replacements somewhere down the road. The current weight loss has helped a lot, but unfortunately I am still in pretty bad shape. The aching body was a turning point, I guess, but I think it was finally treating my depression/anxiety that was a bigger factor. You have to care in order to fix something and I was simply hopeless
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My turning point was when my size 12 jeans were getting too tight. When I stepped on the scale and almost cried. When I called out of work because I stayed at my boyfriends house and brought clothes with me, just to find the next morning that they no longer fit.
    No more. I am so determined to be sexy! Lol. I'm already awesome, but I want to look it now.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am at goal weight now and have been here for about a year. MFP was a huge help for me. Anyway it started when my doctor suggested I get a diabetes test. I was about 25 pounds overweight then and that insulted me. I thought how dare she--I am not that fat. But I watched a program weight of the nation, and realized you don't need to be super obese to get this horrible disease, you can be a few pounds overweight and get it. That did it for me.

That was about 3 years ago. It took me awhile to get to goal weight, but it was worth it. I feel decades younger, and have a lot more energy and I'm active.

At first I went through the hunger pangs, that was the worst of it, and that lasted for months. A tablespoon of all Skippy all natural peanut butter with honey was my food savior. I couldn't begin to the count the jars of peanut butter I have gone through while losing this weight! I still have it on one piece of bread for lunch. I learned what foods I was eating that packed on the calories through MFP, and started making better choices. Now I have to have an orange every night, or I am not a happy camper. I still eat everything, just much less of the high calorie ones. I skip the french fries on many occasions--they are loaded with calories. Potato chips, are typically not in the house.

I still log onto MFP to enter my calories, just to keep me at this weight. After all that, I have no intention of finding the pounds I lost ever again.

Good Luck to you all--just be faithful--stick with MFP and you'll get there.
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had recently gotten married and after getting married reached my all time heaviest weight at 230.3 lbs. I was embarrassed to be around my husband, friends and family and in general was embarrassed of who I had become as a person. The feeling of always walking into the room and being the biggest one was depressing especially because my whole life whenever I walked into any room I was the fittest out of anyone. Going from fit to fat was a huge slap of reality for me. It made me realize anyone can get fat if they just get off track for some time, which is exactly what I did. I decided 2015 was the year for me and decided I was going to get fit again and be the person I was prior to being comfortable and eating for two people. 42lbs down and 58 to go hehe
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bending down to put my socks on and my huge stomach felt like it was twisting and I got a sharp pain at the top (Under rib cage), going on holiday in my bikini and looking like I was 8 months pregnant while having other holiday makers stare at me because I was having a beer (they alas did not know I was just fat...) looking like a "melted" person naked, my kids telling me I had a really really really "big tummy mummy", the droopiness of my arm fat, the loss of collarbones, the double chin, the not being able to clothes shop in cheap shops because I had to buy really expensive clothes as the cut was better for my size...The shame!!!!
    Tonnes of reasons really
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure even though I'm pretty young, lots of pains (back, hips, feet) and my mom has diabetes. I don't want to be sick in the near or far future! I'm losing slowly, consistently and seen major blood pressure improvements, pain is not much of an issue anymore.

Exercise and healthier food has given me so much energy-- everything physical is just so much easier! I'm shocked, tbh and planning/trying to lose at least 40 more pounds. Giving myself as much time as it takes though because I cannot abide hunger or too much food restriction. As long as the trend is downward...
  • DD97365
    DD97365 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is this morning -- I have been struggling with 15 pounds and I have tried weight watchers, etc. I know how to do this; however, I need some motivation. Here I go <3
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I am about half way to my goal, but the major turning point was at the beginning of the year when I signed up with my local MMA gym and told the head trainer that I wanted to get fit for fencing. I had just decided that I wanted to see how far I could go in the sport, rather than just messing around with it. In six months the trainers got me to a level of fitness I would never have believed achievable and got me hooked on Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Fencing is still my main focus, but I now train at least twice a day 5-6 days a week in one or other of the sports or cross training. I focus on getting stronger and better at my sports and the weight loss comes from that. After putting so much effort into training, I find I crave healthy food (with occasional treats) and only eat what I need. I used to eat because it kept me busy, now I am so busy training, I have no time to just eat for the sake of eating!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!