I am lifting and cardio and dieting but
    I have loose, sagging belly.
    Any advice?

....... and very saggy arms
  • BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also-

What type of cardio is the most muscle-sparing? SS or HIIT?

How long do you recommend rest is periods to be when lifting heavy (i.e., 5x5)?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ryanrieb wrote: »
    As a guy that is pretty much where you started right now (6'3'' 330lbs), what advice can you give me in terms of getting started with diet and excercise? I have not been very regular at the gym ( I have a 2 year old son at home, and my wife also works). I have mainly been trying to cut down on added sugars, and cut soda out. I've been tracking food on here as well...

What are your tips as far as dieting and excercise?

Thanks, and keep up the good work, your transformation is very inspiring!
    The biggest tip is stay consistent with whatever you do. Track calories every single day, even if you will not meet your goals for that day. Exercise on the days you are supposed to exercise. Do not find reasons to skip days. Consistency is the most important factor of all. As far as types of exercises, do ones you enjoy. I would recommend at least some form of resistance training in order to preserve lean mass while dieting, but if you don't at least somewhat enjoy the activities you are doing, you won't likely be able to do them long term.
    irene1977 wrote: »
    How did you do it?
    Short answer, diet and exercise. Long answer, see the previous 52 pages.
    Thanks

What are re-feeds? Never saw that in this thread? Necessary for cutting?
    Unneeded for 99% of the people on this message board. Not something to even worry about until you have relatively low body fat and want to try and get to extremely low body fat.

saxnviolin wrote: »
    Hey Vismal
    Any advice?
    saxnviolin wrote: »
    Hey Vismal
    Any advice?

....... and very saggy arms
    More often then not, what people think is loose skin is actually just subcutaneous fat. If the skin is any thicker then the skin on the back of your hand, it's fat, not true loose skin. The way to fix that is to keep losing fat until it goes away. If you lose enough fat to determine that it is indeed true loose skin, you can't do much about it. Weight training can help, as can staying lean and giving the skin time to regain elasticity (can take years, the younger you are, the quicker it can happen).
  • vismal
    Options
    Also-

What type of cardio is the most muscle-sparing? SS or HIIT?

How long do you recommend rest is periods to be when lifting heavy (i.e., 5x5)?
    You will hear all sorts of people talking about how hiit is better than liss and vice versa. If you look at the data, they both have their pros and cons and I generally tell people to do whichever one they prefer. If you have a reasonable caloric deficit, lift weights, and get in adequate protein, you don't need to worry to much about muscle loss, especially if you are not already relatively lean.

• Rudenurse88
    Rudenurse88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How often did you have weeks when. your weight didn't change or you may have gained during your regimen?
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Thanks - a few more:

1) if I weigh a raw burger as 8oz, then it shrinks to 6oz after I cook it, I log 8, not 6?

2) if I do 2 lbs a wk bs 1 lb a week, so I risk more muscle loss - assuming I do everything else right (protein, resistance training, etc)?
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey Vismal- I just want to thank you so much for this thread!

9 weeks ago I read through this thread from beginning to end and followed your advice to the letter. I got a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING. I'd never done weights before so I got a PT and am now doing heavy weights.

In 9 weeks I've lost over 7 kg (15 lb), I've dropped 2 clothes sizes and am eating enough food so I am never hungry.

I wanted to post a side comparison after my first 8 weeks to show how much you've helped me. It's still a way to go, but this thread showed me how to do things right. Thank you so much, you're awesome!!

hjn2k7r82n84.jpg
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

9 weeks ago I read through this thread from beginning to end and followed your advice to the letter. I got a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING. I'd never done weights before so I got a PT and am now doing heavy weights.

In 9 weeks I've lost over 7 kg (15 lb), I've dropped 2 clothes sizes and am eating enough food so I am never hungry.

I wanted to post a side comparison after my first 8 weeks to show how much you've helped me. It's still a way to go, but this thread showed me how to do things right. Thank you so much, you're awesome!!

hjn2k7r82n84.jpg

Nice!
  • xBabyLlamaDrama
    xBabyLlamaDrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just giving props for still answering this thread, 14 months later. Very cool.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like inspiration. Did you workout hard everyday, or were there days when you just didn't have it in you?
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good Job !!! Impressive transformation.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    What modifications did you make to ICF 5x5 while you were cutting?
  • jnunez5
    jnunez5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on your hard work! Question on eating food. Is a 50% protein, 25% carb, and 25% fat a reasonable goal. What kind of eating did you do. Low carb high protein, or just regular clean eating?
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great story and inspiration for all, I just began my weight loss journey - I'm 35, 5'8 and currently 195lbs - hoping to lose 60lbs. I am a 2x cancer survivor (4 yrs now) and mom to 3 so my body has been through a lot however that's why I know I can do this ! Just wanted to get some feedback on what I have been doing so far :

EXERCISE (5-6/wk): 30 min of HIIT on the treadmill 1:2 (1 min @ 5.0 and 2 min @ 2.7-3.0 @ 1.0 incline) *im trying to build my endurance - so I'll will be increasing once I master this speed.- just started 2 wks ago.
    I do standing strength training routines (light @5-10lb weights) from fitness blender via YouTube ( I have a bad knee and some joint pain so it's hard to kneel down on all 4s - abs, back, shoulders, and arms - I haven't really worked on my lower body as my legs get a pretty good burn from the treadmill

DIET: I am eating clean and low carb/clean carbs I.e. whole grains @ 13-1500 cal/day total and no eating after 6pm.

Is there anything you could suggest they maybe you think I'm missing?

My total weight loss thus far 5lbs ( 2 weeks on the journey)

Thanks in advance - sorry for the essay
  • vismal
    Options
    How often did you have weeks when. your weight didn't change or you may have gained during your regimen?
    It happens frequently due to the non linear nature of weight loss. Day to day, and even week to week weigh ins are somewhat meaningless. What I do is weigh in every day, but basically ignore the number. I take a weekly average of the weigh ins and then after a month compare those averages. Your overall trend should be moving downward. While my daily and weekly weigh ins can be all over the place. It's very rare that my monthly trend doesn't point in the direction I'm trying to get it to point.
    Thanks - a few more:

1) if I weigh a raw burger as 8oz, then it shrinks to 6oz after I cook it, I log 8, not 6?

2) if I do 2 lbs a wk bs 1 lb a week, so I risk more muscle loss - assuming I do everything else right (protein, resistance training, etc)?

If you are using nutritional information for raw meat, use the raw weight. If you are using nutritional information for cooked meat, use the cooked weight. I always prefer to use nutritional information for raw meat because cooked meat depends on how it was cooked and how long it was cooked. Raw is more consistent.

2 lbs a week won't necessarily cause more losses in lean body mass if protein is adequate and you train weights efficiently. It will mostly depend on how much weight you have to lose. Someone with 50+ lbs to lose doesn't need to worry about muscle loss nearly as much as someone who is already lean and seeks to be very lean.
  • vismal
    Options

hjn2k7r82n84.jpg
    Damn good job! This really makes me happy to see people getting results for themselves! Keep up the hard work! It's clearly paying off! :)
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    I like inspiration. Did you workout hard everyday, or were there days when you just didn't have it in you?
    I try my best to give it my all when I work out but no one is going to have a good gym day every day. It's not possible. The key is to still have a productive workout even if it's going to be a "bad day". I am usually of the opinion that out of 5 gym days, 3 will be average, 1 will be below average, and 1 will be above average. If you're having one of your "I'm on fire, king of the world" type workouts, exploit it! Go a little harder, do a little more then planned. If, on the other hand, you are really dragging *kitten* for whatever reason, try and just get it done then give yourself some rest. While it's normal for the ratio of bad days to start to increase and good days start to decrease during a prolonged diet, if you are constantly having horrible workouts, you probably have impaired recovery. You may need to eat a little more, take a 2 week diet break, or reduce the volume and frequency of your workouts (never your intensity).
    What modifications did you make to ICF 5x5 while you were cutting?
    If you are through the initial couple of months of lifting weights, and are no longer a complete novice, I'd reduce the sets of 5 to sets of 3 and the sets 3 to sets of 2. I would not change the lifts unless there is a specific reason you cannot do a specific list (cannot do is not the same as do not want to do).
    jnunez5 wrote: »
    Hey! Congrats on your hard work! Question on eating food. Is a 50% protein, 25% carb, and 25% fat a reasonable goal. What kind of eating did you do. Low carb high protein, or just regular clean eating?
    Ratios are not the best way to calculate macro nutrients. I prefer using a weight based equation. I explains how I calculate macro nutrients as well as how I structure my entire diet in this series of videos:

• Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your inspirational thread. I am 8 lbs away from my goal which is to be within 'normal' BMI. 40 year old male, exercise is running. Stretch goal is to be middle of normal BMI. I often fall short of my protein goal - my first question is, if I am 500 calories short of my daily goal, should I make up the calories with protein shake, or just enjoy the extra deficit. Second question, my polar watch shows me burn far more calories running than lifting (strong lifts 5x5). Should I still replace some running sessions with lifting, or just concentrate on calories? My plan was to reach target weight as priority, then think about the muscles. Thank you!!
  • abandonedloveforfat
    abandonedloveforfat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    were there stretch marks on your body from the weight gain ? im trying so hard to get rid of mine
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!