Low Squat with lighter weight or heavy weight but parallel? Also Qs about muscle hypertrophy

Options
Hello!

Hope you're all well. I've two complicated questions today! Hopefully someone could give some insight.

I've been squatting (smith machine) 7.5kg (now 10kg - upped this week) at 10 - 12 reps/set. (Yes I realize this is light but come on - I'm a recovering anorexic - I've come damned far and I love how Im kickin *kitten*!!!) Anyway - I can only really go parallel with the 10kg, but would it be better for me if I dropped back down to 7.5kg and squatted lower? Which is better - squat lower, or heavier?

Next question's quite odd but it's been annoying me. What's the difference exactly in "tightening" your muscles (eg. your core, glutes, thighs) so that they're "firm" and hypertrophy? Im asking this because I want both - but obviously I want "tightness" in some areas whilst I want growth in other areas. Can anybody shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Why are you using the smith machine to squat?

I've never heard of tightening your muscles. Firm? Mine aren't firm at all really, if I tense and press them, they squish down to a degree.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    congrats on your progress. if your body isn't injured and you physically can squat deep, go lighter and break parallel, and get off the smith machine and into the real squat rack. The only time i don't hit parallel is if i'm warming up for some heavy sets and don't wanna expend all my energy warming up.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Squatting low is not for everyone based on body mechanics, hip and other joint mobility issues, etc. Parallel is all you really need for a good squat. So, work heavy to parallel.

I'd recommend stepping out of the smith machine and head to the free weights for a more effective workout, but if you can't or are uncomfortable doing so, watch some videos about how to squat more effectively in the smith machine as it can be bad for you as it interferes with your natural range of motion and movements.

As for hypertrophy, that's not tightening your muscles at all. It's a specific type of exercise regime (which is not the best explanation without getting into science of muscle growth) that encourages the growth of the muscle size over the growth of strength.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Squatting low is not for everyone based on body mechanics, hip and other joint mobility issues, etc. Parallel is all you really need for a good squat. So, work heavy to parallel.

I'd recommend stepping out of the smith machine and head to the free weights for a more effective workout, but if you can't or are uncomfortable doing so, watch some videos about how to squat more effectively in the smith machine as it can be bad for you as it interferes with your natural range of motion and movements.

As for hypertrophy, that's not tightening your muscles at all. It's a specific type of exercise regime (which is not the best explanation without getting into science of muscle growth) that encourages the growth of the muscle size over the growth of strength.

You know more on this than me. I have a question, with a 5x5 routine, is it still possible to gain mass like a hypertrophy rep range?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As low as you're comfortable with. Range of motion is important. :)

If it's beyond what you can do--if it hurts--don't do it. I did shallower squats, and I think it contributed to my knee problems.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Gaining strength, like a 5X5 will add mass, but not as effectively as hypertrophy routines. For my own goals, I find a mixture of strength routine and hypertrophy serves best. I lift heavy with 1 or two compound lifts each workout, the rest is targeted hypertrophy for the other muscle groups, still compound lifts, but lighter weight and more reps. Think the difference between 85%-90% of your 1 rep max for strength, and 65-75% for hypertrophy.

I've been lifting for a while, but I joined here to track my intake when I started getting serious about it. Now I'm not only working with a trainer, I'm studying to be one as well as a nutrition consultant focusing on restrictive dietary needs. I don't think I know much, as there is an infinitely large body of knowledge that constantly changes, but I do try to keep learning every day and keep up on new studies as well as anecdotal experience of other lifters (that you often have to take with a grain of salt)
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I'm actually a scientist and understand muscle hypertrophy very well but not with respect to core muscles which never really get "larger" - if you know what I mean?

But thank you for the help! I'm a bit nervous to squat without the assistance of the smith machine at the moment - but Its my next goal. I lift free weights and deadlift barbells (again, only 15kg - but still!). I have my PT next week and we'll chat.

Thanks!
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    Gaining strength, like a 5X5 will add mass, but not as effectively as hypertrophy routines. For my own goals, I find a mixture of strength routine and hypertrophy serves best. I lift heavy with 1 or two compound lifts each workout, the rest is targeted hypertrophy for the other muscle groups, still compound lifts, but lighter weight and more reps. Think the difference between 85%-90% of your 1 rep max for strength, and 65-75% for hypertrophy.

I've been lifting for a while, but I joined here to track my intake when I started getting serious about it. Now I'm not only working with a trainer, I'm studying to be one as well as a nutrition consultant focusing on restrictive dietary needs. I don't think I know much, as there is an infinitely large body of knowledge that constantly changes, but I do try to keep learning every day and keep up on new studies as well as anecdotal experience of other lifters (that you often have to take with a grain of salt)

Hey! Thanks, but I'm a bit confused about what you mean with 5X5? Do you mean light weights high reps for strength and low reps heavy weight for mass? I am also looking to build mass and already have :D
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    congrats on your progress. if your body isn't injured and you physically can squat deep, go lighter and break parallel, and get off the smith machine and into the real squat rack. The only time i don't hit parallel is if i'm warming up for some heavy sets and don't wanna expend all my energy warming up.

Just saying thank you for congratulating me. I never thought I would ever be able to do this - I love weight training! No more skinny miss!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps. Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific program but there are others.
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    Thank you!
  • DaddieCat
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I didn't answer the second part of your question but you get the idea based on the questions you asked. You're backwards. Low reps high weight for strength, lighter (not light) weight and higher reps for mass. it should still be heavy... just not HEAVY. and stick with less than 15 reps for hypertrophy. anything more is just endurance training.
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    I didn't answer the second part of your question but you get the idea based on the questions you asked. You're backwards. Low reps high weight for strength, lighter (not light) weight and higher reps for mass. it should still be heavy... just not HEAVY. and stick with less than 15 reps for hypertrophy. anything more is just endurance training.

Sorry yeah I did know that just typed it wrong. Sorry bout that. No I lift to failure now - or at least I have at least 3 sets of low rep high weighted moves. shoulders and chest really for those - they seriously fatigue fast. I get about 4 reps in at 10kg dumbells incline chest press - usually need my personal trainer to help me but i still try on my own!!

• GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you can squat without weight or lighter weight below parallel, then eventually you will with the heavier weight. With all due respect to the powelifters who have commented, it's perfectly fine to squat in a smith machine. It does change the natural range of motion somewhat but it does not take away from the general movement. There are some variations that would hard to do in a conventional rack. Of course nothing wrong if you want to try the rack eventually too.
    Tightening a muscle or toning, is more a matter of reducing fat in the surrounding tissue. I know there are bodybuilders out there that say they perform higher reps to tone, but as far as I know there is no science behind this. The tone comes from the loss of body fat as they are usually dieting at this time.Hypertrophy occurs when the muscle is overloaded and damaged, the body then adapts by repairing and increasing the size of the muscle fibers.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the smith machine and try some goblet squats to begin with. You aren't limited to one or the other either. Do a few sets of full squats with a lighter weight and do some heavier sets to parallel. Same or different day depending on your schedule and routine. Either way, just make sure you're progressing in weight or reps and you'll get stronger
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's help! I'll start to squat lower with lighter weights and eventually try the 10kg low! I'll also work on more rack squats - but for now, smith machine is for me!

• rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm actually glad to see this thread. Tonight was the end of week 5 for my SL routine and I've built to 105 pound squat, but I noticed I can't break parallel, else I can't get myself back up. I was wondering if I needed to drop five pounds and squat deeper or keep the higher weight.
  • jimmymacdonald2014
    jimmymacdonald2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in on this...if you are not breaking parallel I would deload and start at a point where you do. As you start moving farther into the program people often lessen the range of motion to make up for the increase in weight. You don't want that. Worry less about weight and more about weight and you will be ahead of 90% of most people on the squat rack.
  • jimmymacdonald2014
    jimmymacdonald2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry...."less about weight and more about depth"