Whole 30 seems riddled with BS amid otherwise decent principles...

Options
I've been having some pretty bad food allergies (welts, hives, breakouts) for over a decade and I've finally decided to stop ignoring it and take on a Whole 30 at the advice of a nutritionist. Then I'll slowly reintroduce dairy, sugar, gluten, and grains in different stages to see what, if anything, triggers the reactions. Meanwhile I am still counting calories because that's ultimately what matters to lose weight.

It is just so appalling to read some of the BS rules that the creators of the Whole 30 have laid down as absolutes, many of which are absolutely rigid and nonsensical.

The whole "ridding the body of toxins" thing is just the start. Also, the rules about not having smoothies or not being able to make a "pancake" out of eggs and banana because it "psychologically changes the food in our minds" or avoiding dijon mustard and vanilla extract because it has wine or alcohols in it... I just can't. -_- So much ridiculousness...

I am gonna stick to meats, veggies, fruit and healthy fats for 30 days in pursuit of answers to my allergy questions, but I find the intensity from other Whole 30ers a little off-putting. I don't even want to call it a Whole 30, haha.

Am I the only one??

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Those vanilla extract hangovers are just too much to handle.

Just curious - how do you know you have food allergies? Have you been to an allergist?
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Just curious - how do you know you have food allergies? Have you been to an allergist?

Ha! Seriously...

No, but I get huge welts, hives, breakouts all over my body. Tried treating it topically and using antibiotics. I am 99% sure it is food related.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    elleelise wrote: »

Ha! Seriously...

No, but I get huge welts, hives, breakouts all over my body. Tried treating it topically and using antibiotics. I am 99% sure it is food related.

Have you been to the doctor for your hives and breakouts? If so, what have they told you? If not, I suggest you go.

Finally, why are you going to take a product (Whole 30) that you feel promotes silly stuff?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As everyone else mentioned, have you been to an allergist?
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Ha! Seriously...

Have you been to the doctor for your hives and breakouts? If so, what have they told you? If not, I suggest you go.

Finally, why are you going to take a product (Whole 30) that you feel promotes silly stuff?

Oh, Whole30 isn't a product. It's a 30 day eating regime... I'm not following it verbatim (for instance, I don't think having a smoothie made with coconut milk and fruit is "cheating") but I am following the eating plan for the next 27 days then starting to reintroduce dairy for two weeks, and then sugars, then finally gluten.

Haven't been to an allergist. Don't have health insurance in the moment. Been to many dermatologists and while there are many great things about Western medicine, turning inward to nutrition for healing is not one of them. Been prescribed lots of antibiotics (one that even made me severely burned if I went outside in the sun for 10 minutes), in addition to washes, and weird advice like "It's all from hot tub use" when I never use a hot tub. -_-

So many skin problems are linked to nutrition. The only thing I find hard, is that Whole30 is very fat dense, so calories add up FAST, even though I am fuller longer. Lately, eating the plan unrestricted has meant going over my calories 100-200 a day, so gotta keep an eye on that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They can't fix an allergy. Are they really claiming that they can?

There is some other group that has claimed their diet can fix cancer, mental illness and thyroid issues.

These people know they are lying to you. They're trying to con you. Don't be a sucker! Do not give them your money! They don't deserve the cash! They deserve to be hauled into court or punched out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    why would they prescribe antibiotics for allergies? thats not going to help. have you tried over the counter allergy products? I have allergies and while yes it could be from food,it sounds like maybe its something in your environment you are being exposed to. without seeing an allergist though its hard to tell. write down what you ate for the day and then write down if you had any hives,welts,etc. if not then its probably not that group of foods.if so take one out for awhile,if you still have it then take something else out and so on.I have one food allergy and it makes my throat swell up but I dont get the hives and so on. when I get hives and welts its usually something that came into contact with my skin(something im allergic to either inside or out). I would look up food allergies and see if you have any other symptoms.usually you will have more than one symptom(not always since everyone is different). benadryl is good for the hives and welts.
  • dipitie
    dipitie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is just to break the mind-food issues you may have. You can have smoothies and be on a whole30 but they recommend you eat rather than drink your calories. Not making "paleofied" versions of unhealthy food really forces you to deal with any food issues you have and breaks the sweet tooth connection to these things. I get your point about vanilla extract, but it has alcohol and usually sweetener which are both not on the plan. Maybe their use of the word "toxins" is a little strong, but sulfites, carageenan, etc. can absolutely affect your body, and it usually takes a minimum of 30 days for the effects of those additives to be gone. Plus their explanation of hormones is spot on.
  • dipitie
    dipitie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    By the way, you're not supposed to track on whole30 as part of the process. You are supposed to follow the guidelines and then listen to your body. Listening to your body is a lost art form.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I've been having some pretty bad food allergies (welts, hives, breakouts) for over a decade and I've finally decided to stop ignoring it and take on a Whole 30 at the advice of a nutritionist. Then I'll slowly reintroduce dairy, sugar, gluten, and grains in different stages to see what, if anything, triggers the reactions. Meanwhile I am still counting calories because that's ultimately what matters to lose weight.

It is just so appalling to read some of the BS rules that the creators of the Whole 30 have laid down as absolutes, many of which are absolutely rigid and nonsensical.

The whole "ridding the body of toxins" thing is just the start. Also, the rules about not having smoothies or not being able to make a "pancake" out of eggs and banana because it "psychologically changes the food in our minds" or avoiding dijon mustard and vanilla extract because it has wine or alcohols in it... I just can't. -_- So much ridiculousness...

I am gonna stick to meats, veggies, fruit and healthy fats for 30 days in pursuit of answers to my allergy questions, but I find the intensity from other Whole 30ers a little off-putting. I don't even want to call it a Whole 30, haha.

Am I the only one??

Welcome to the world of fad diets, being riddled with BS is the secret ingredient.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My story is similar to yours. I have always suffered from deep cystic acne. I have seen countless doctors about it over the years and tried many medications including double doses of accutane(yikes!) About three years ago I gave up everything except my expensive skin care with anti inflammatory agents in it, became that at least helped with the pain.

Fast forward to 4.5 months ago. Doctor says "you have some minor heart issues that can be treated through diet and exercise" (yeah my doc is that amazing). Okay then, I get right on it. Whole foods almost exclusively but still allowed some treats occasionally. Sugars are at a minimum, tonnes of dairy(yum), fish everyday, no more bread, tonnes of veggies and water. I start feeling amazing, I start losing a tonne of weight, and three months in my skin is amazing. I think there is something to skin problems and diet in a lot of cases. I don't think you need to follow whole 30 to get the benefits though, because this is the first time I have heard of it.

Also, you are amazing for thinking critically. This whole30 thing sounds like its full of fake science. PM me if you like and I can go into more detail about how I cleared my skin up.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1. Antibiotics do not treat allergies. Other than a few OTC topicals (ie neosporin) you need a prescription for antibiotics. I have seen a lot of crazy things, but I haven't seen abx given for hives (yet). So I suspect you meant antihistamine (ie benedryl) which is available over the counter and would make sense in this situation.

2. If you didn't mean antihistamine, that may help with symptoms.

3. If an elimination diet makes you feel better, awesome. Good luck sorting through it all. Hope you find some relief.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

There are other causes of hives & welts besides food allergies - everything from autoimmune disorders to dust mite allergies. An internist should be able to point you in the right direction. I would think you could test the food allergy theory by simply not eating for a day or 2 and see if it improves.

• SLLRunner
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Ha! Seriously...

Oh, Whole30 isn't a product. It's a 30 day eating regime... I'm not following it verbatim (for instance, I don't think having a smoothie made with coconut milk and fruit is "cheating") but I am following the eating plan for the next 27 days then starting to reintroduce dairy for two weeks, and then sugars, then finally gluten.

Haven't been to an allergist. Don't have health insurance in the moment. Been to many dermatologists and while there are many great things about Western medicine, turning inward to nutrition for healing is not one of them. Been prescribed lots of antibiotics (one that even made me severely burned if I went outside in the sun for 10 minutes), in addition to washes, and weird advice like "It's all from hot tub use" when I never use a hot tub. -_-

So many skin problems are linked to nutrition. The only thing I find hard, is that Whole30 is very fat dense, so calories add up FAST, even though I am fuller longer. Lately, eating the plan unrestricted has meant going over my calories 100-200 a day, so gotta keep an eye on that.

Ohhhh. Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like one of those weird diets, and not an actual elimination diet used to figure out what foods you are intolerant or allergic to, if any.

Good luck with finding out what's making you break out in hives.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Who cares what the rules are? It's an elimination diet that could help you figure out what if any dietary items cause these reactions. It's not permanent. I hope you're no longer working with the nutritionist, because to me it would make no sense to go back to them after 30 days saying the idea didn't work, when you're choosing not to follow it. Personally if I could tolerate the plan, I'd ignore all the silliness and just do it. So you can't have banana pancakes for about thirty days. Good. Cos they're gross, anyway :tongue:
  • SLLRunner
    Options

There are other causes of hives & welts besides food allergies - everything from autoimmune disorders to dust mite allergies. An internist should be able to point you in the right direction. I would think you could test the food allergy theory by simply not eating for a day or 2 and see if it improves.

This too.

I would say to go to a new doctor. Try a local clinic.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They can't fix an allergy. Are they really claiming that they can?

There is some other group that has claimed their diet can fix cancer, mental illness and thyroid issues.

These people know they are lying to you. They're trying to con you. Don't be a sucker! Do not give them your money! They don't deserve the cash! They deserve to be hauled into court or punched out.

It doesn't claim to fix allergies, it just helps to diagnose them by eliminating all major allergens at first, then reintroducing them one at a time. The idea is, you figure out what is causing the issue, then eliminate only the problem foods for good.

I almost did it, then found out my medical insurance covered blood testing to determine food allergies. I'd much rather get a needle than a month of soy free and gluten free eating.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My chronic hives were caused by a severe vitamin d deficiency. It's worth having that and your B12 levels checked.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    My chronic hives were caused by a severe vitamin d deficiency. It's worth having that and your B12 levels checked.

Yep, there are so many medical conditions that can show up via skin problems.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Also, some fruits can be allergens.... my ex-housemate was highly allergic to strawberries for example. If you're going to try an exclusion diet, do so under doctor supervision, not under the supervision of a nutritionist you know has crazy ideas :smile: