I Stay Constipated. What To Do?

Options

Replies

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sunsweet snack-size pitted dried plums/prunes ... only 25 cals, 3g sugar, high in calcium & potassium. Pop 3 or 4 a day as snacks. Did the trick for me after recent surgery.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds have been a miracle cure for me. I was constipated for a long time, I tried everything, prune juice, all bran cereals etc..

I just put 20g of chia seeds in my morning oatmeal, it doesn't taste anything and it keeps you regular.
  • koffipot
    koffipot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Courgette, aubergine, onion. All work a treat for constipation and have a stabilising effect on blood sugar levels. :) Try a low fat ratatouille recipe - et voila!!
  • Anise76
    Anise76 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from IBS for years (the constipation variety), and my doctor recently suggested I drink apple juice to try to get things moving. It's worked well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    pwponton44 wrote: »
    Many thanks to all who responded. I have tried several of the suggestions and will try others. The protein example hits close to home so will see about adjustments there. In the end, though, may very have to see a gastroenterologist. Again, thanks.

A general practitioner can help you. A pharmacist can help too.
    My GP told me to take Phillips caplets (Magnesium Oxide).
    She also gave me a prescription medication that I brought home and did't try yet.
  • Fredstheteds
    Fredstheteds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try colonic if bad then probiotic
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kiwifruit are supposed to be a good source of fibre if you like them - I don't but take an extract capsule called Phloe
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hydration - Dietary fat - Physical movement - Caffeine

There are 2 types of fiber: soluble and insoluble: http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers

My go-to insoluble is oatmeal

If you need to increase your fiber intake....go slowly.

• FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i agree. oatmeal has magical pooping powers. all my pregnant constipated friends and i agree on that. also chia seeds help draw water into the digestive tract. i eat them in smoothies or oatmeal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I haven't had problems with constipation since I started taking powdered Vitamin C to bowel tolerance, which for me is 4 grams. I take Buffered Vitamin C Powder - non buffered bothers my stomach.

Might want to run any non-dietary method past your doctor. (Unless your doctor is monitoring your diet as well, in which case, that too.) Also, it's entirely possible that drinking more water will indeed clear this up. Good luck!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eat foods with soluble fibre. And reduce foods with insoluble fibre. I don't know about metformin or anything else but you know that laxatives are habit forming i suppose. Anyway I too have issues as a result of my meds. Peanuts, vegetables and legumes are all good. I mention peanuts separately because they don't need to be cooked. Try eating 1/4 to 1/2 cup daily. They are moreish so watchout. One of my doctors once told me that you should eat the equivalent of a big plate of vegetables every day. Obviously you don't have to eat them all at once. But i can tell you that when i eat better foods of the kind mentioned, my bowels are happier and so am I. I 've only ever used laxatives twice. Also keep hydrated.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add to this since i am in disagreement with some people. I do not find oatmeal and insoluble fibres good for my bowels. I urge you to read up on the different types of fibre and to understand how they work in your body. But also fibre is excellent in so many ways and it may help your diabetes so it is really one of hte best things you can do for your overall health and diabetes is to improve your diet so that you get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and legumes daily.

when i do'nt eat vegetables but just eat lots of cereals pasta and bread with milk. I get constipated regardless how much insoluble fibre is in those foods. Bran is insoluble fibre. A little bit of this is good but not a lot.

There's a wonderful two part program on you tube about fibre. and there are other interesting things out there on the subject as well. Even wikipedia has a wonderful article about gut flora. Anyway the you tube thing is called Gut Reaction and catalyst is the name of the program. So look it up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions regarding fiber, water intake, etc. I'll add one more: a large helping of spicy food. That usually gets me cleaned out if I haven't "gone" in a couple days.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat greens with every meal. I go every day thanks to having spinach/ kale or broccoli with my meals. Don't skimp on it either, have a decent serve!

Also drink a cup of water with each meal
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh and instead of adding greens to your breakfast, you can have a bowl of oats.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and my no fail solution for constipation - Bowl of oatmeal (1 minute oats - the type with no added sugar) and 1/2 to 1 cup mixed frozen berries on top (nuke them in the microwave). The combo of the fiber from the oats and the fiber and natural sugars in the berries is like a freight train through your bowels. :) You could also try adding Fiber One to you menu. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of plain water with any additional fiber.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Coffee and whiskey usually cure that right up.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hydration - Dietary fat - Physical movement - Caffeine

There are 2 types of fiber: soluble and insoluble: http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers

My go-to insoluble is oatmeal

If you need to increase your fiber intake....go slowly.

yes to this post. drink water, cook with a bit of fat/oil, eat fiberous foods (fiber one cereal, the original one is low in sugar and high in fiber) and coffee should help you.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Only one word - MAGNESIUM tablet. Tried all the other stuff. Still take Magnesium when needed. Still works.