PMS food cravings

Options
okay so 80% of the time before my period starts i get soooooo hungry. always. like a bottomless pit. and crave salty foods & also sugary foods. or a combination of both. i already know the science behind the cravings but omg any suggestions as what to snack on when my stomach becomes a black hole that wants to eat everything lol

Replies

• MrJamesSmedley2
    MrJamesSmedley2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes tend to be low in calories so would recommend you eat those if you find your cravings to be unbearable.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I want ice cream like nobody's business when I have PMS. I've found Coldstone's skinny vanilla with raspberries mixed in-- while not exactly what I want-- curbs the cravings and comes in at about 320 cals for a medium (love it or whatever) serving.

As for salty-type stuff, sometimes I'll skip a meal so I can eat a bag of hot cheetos :(
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I'm craving. Trying to substitute something else only makes the craving worse and then I eat more of it when I inevitably give in.
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes tend to be low in calories so would recommend you eat those if you find your cravings to be unbearable.

I love rice cakes! They come in so many different flavors. For salty cravings I like the buttered popcorn ones, or lightly salted for sweet I like the caramel ones.
  • vroberts47
    vroberts47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try to minimize the sugary, salty food you are craving, such as instead of a whole pack of cookies eat half. Try adding another 15 - 30 minutes in your workout so you don't feel so guilty after eating it.
    Maybe we can try really hard next month then come back and share how we did or what we did. :#
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Over the last three months, I cleaned up my diet, increased exercise, and for the last TOM the food cravings were very brief, as opposed to previously having a week of cravings. I didn't get the premenstrual blues. I also take a magnesium supplement.

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS: Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

cm-34163-050bad40f9ae8a.gif

okay so 80% of the time before my period starts i get soooooo hungry. always. like a bottomless pit. and crave salty foods & also sugary foods. or a combination of both. i already know the science behind the cravings but omg any suggestions as what to snack on when my stomach becomes a black hole that wants to eat everything lol

I personally fill up that black hole of a stomach til it's full. I'll eat what I crave. Most of the time I end up eating at maintenance anyways, and the cravings for me then only last for one day. So it's not that bad looking at it as a whole during a month. And I still end up losing weight in the month. :flowerforyou:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Im currently suffering from PMS and eat skinny pop popcorn and exercise to fit in my ice cream if i crave it, like last night when I measured out my breyers reeses ice cream and slowly enjoyed every bite. you could get some ice cream and add a banana since they are good at preventing cramps. I also read watermelon is good for sore muscles.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Over the last three months, I cleaned up my diet, increased exercise, and for the last TOM the food cravings were very brief, as opposed to previously having a week of cravings. I didn't get the premenstrual blues. I also take a magnesium supplement.

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS: Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3

Daily Mail...

I take a magnesium supplement (for other reasons) so I'm fairly certain I'm not low on it. I still crave chocolate, especially before TOM. Also, those tables are ridiculous IMO. If I really crave chocolate, eating leafy green veggies won't do at all.
    I just eat what I'm craving. Trying to substitute something else only makes the craving worse and then I eat more of it when I inevitably give in.

Same for me. If I really crave a specific food (and not just food in general), I'll have a smallish portion of it. I also allow myself to go to maintenance during that time if the cravings get bad, and try to be kind with myself if I go over.
  • imzosocrazy
    imzosocrazy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always crave sugary foods like ice cream and chocolate, so if you're like me, maybe try a smoothie or banana whip with some dark chocolate, or just fruit in general :)
    For salty foods I would recommend skinny pop brand popcorn. It's super low in calories and it's nice to just eat as a lazy day snack.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I like to make a smoothie with chocolate protein powder, PB2 defatted peanut butter, extra cocoa, frozen bananas and unsweetened almond milk. If it isn't thick enough, I add extra ice and blend until it's smooth. It is a lot richer than you'd expect from a protein shake.

It isn't very low cal, but it's got protein and fibre in it to fill you up, so you aren't so hungry after. If you have the calorie room, you could use regular peanut butter to add some healthy fats as well.

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I can trough a family size pizza and a sticky pudding and not bat an eyelid. The only thing I have tried that works is to leave the house, go on a massive walk/cycle so I can't have food and then come home and stuff my face.

Then that mahoosive foodfest doesn't feel so bad. I earnt it ;)
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When I crave I have to eat during that time, I just try to eat well and buy the good food ahead of time. For me it's all about the planning. Right now, I have that issue sometimes every two weeks at my age so you can manage it you just have to think ahead. Think popcorn, organic snacks, fruit, nuts.. etc
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find that if my diet/exercise/sleep is steady and consistent throughout the month, then my pms symptoms like these are less severe. Exercise during that week especially works wonders for me. Not just for the sake of creating a bigger calorie deficit so I can binge, but just makes my body and mind feel general more balanced and functional. If course everyone's different and you might be doing all that anyway. Lord knows I'm not immune to binge-fests, bloating, and general funk of pms too. So when I do feel it's inevitable, one method I've thought about it deciding maybe how many calories you are willing or able to go over without undoing weeks of work or whatever. Then eat whatever the hell you want within that range. Then maybe do something else, go to bed, hang with friends, hot beauty bath, shop for cute new clothes (not an ideal or totally pious approach but new clothes can do wonders for keeping my binges in check) or just do something way exciting and see how you feel. If you're still bent on eating and can't do anything else, go with it as long as it's not prolonged for days.