caffeine while pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Talk to you ob/gyn about specific amounts recommended, but I went half caf when I was pregnant. I was limited to 10oz of caffeinated coffee a day per my doctor, so I got 20oz of half caf.

Thanks, I wonder if I cut the caffiene or switch to decaf if I will still have headaches. I think it's the caffiene withdrawal that gives me the headaches.

Caffeine withdrawal will definitely induce headaches. That should only last a few days though. Switching to half decaf didn't affect me at all.

• Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Talk to you ob/gyn about specific amounts recommended, but I went half caf when I was pregnant. I was limited to 10oz of caffeinated coffee a day per my doctor, so I got 20oz of half caf.

Thanks, I wonder if I cut the caffiene or switch to decaf if I will still have headaches. I think it's the caffiene withdrawal that gives me the headaches.

Caffeine withdrawal will definitely induce headaches. That should only last a few days though. Switching to half decaf didn't affect me at all.

cool thanks

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What you're having doesnt amount to a large amount of caffeine. If you're concerned, check with your doctor. Mine was fine with that amount.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I drank more coffee than i probably should have with my last pregnancy.... but so far my son is healthy and happy ***knocks on wood***
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Have you tried staying off coffee for longer than a day? Every chronic coffee drinker gets a slight headache or sign of fatigue on days they dont get it. Caffeine is a stimulant, and when the body doesn't get that stimulant when it regularly does, it lets you know. But unless you have chronic headaches too, the headache subsides after a day or two.

If you don't believe caffeine is good for your child, then have patience.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I drank more coffee than i probably should have with my last pregnancy.... but so far my son is healthy and happy ***knocks on wood***

How much?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Caffeine withdrawal in newborns is a thing.

Do with that information what you will.

Theres way worse things than caffeine.

There's way worse things than crack, too, but I don't see too many people saying its ok to suck a pipe for 9 months.

She's not talking about injecting caffeine, just having a couple of cups of coffee.

There's a certain amount of caffeine that's fine in pregnancy. It's equivalent to about a cup a day. You can just google, not make an appointment to see a doctor. I live in England, we don't even see a doctor in pregnancy, and I certainly wouldn't waste the NHS's time and money with a question about caffeine.

Buy a good quality decaf so you don't feel like you're missing out.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had my second baby 7 weeks ago. The information the doctor's office gave me, while pregnant, said 200 mg of caffeine a day, which is about 12oz of coffee, according to them.
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    During my first pregnancy I avoided caffeine...coffee made me sick anyway. While nursing her, I couldn't even have a couple sips of coffee or she would get colicky. Which sucked because I was exhausted. With my second, I drank a cup of coffee a day and he was able to tolerate it while nursing no problem.
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you can quantify your caffeine intake in milligrams, most health organisations (e.g. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, United Kingdom Food Standards Agency etc) generally recommend capping your intake at 200mg a day to keep you and the baby safe. A medium McDonald's iced coffee is around 133mg.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the further along you are, the slower your body works through the caffeine; by the third trimester it takes your body three times as long to clear it out of you and bub's system.

Aside from that, it's true that caffeine can have some affect on babies; e.g. in a breastfeeding mother I saw that was drinking energy drinks, her baby became irritable and jittery. But small amounts don't do harm; in very preterm babies that have trouble keeping their heart and breathing rate at good levels, they're given teeny doses of caffeine as a medical stimulant to keep it up. :)
  • kellydavis970
    kellydavis970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drank a little coffee throughout my pregnancy, but it sounds like you drink quite a bit. Enough to be going through withdrawals (headaches) if you don't get it. I would try to cut back. Remember to drink tons and TONS of water, that will help with your headaches! (they will go away pretty quickly)
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is addictive so the headache is caused when you don't have any. My nutritionist advised me to avoid caffeine when I was pregnant with my first child but I drank a lot of iced tea. I don't drink soda and I avoided juice because I had gestational diabetes but I also needed a switch from plain water now and then. If you are really concerned you can gradually switch to half caf or fully decaffinated coffee, or just have one or two fully caffinated and then switch to decaf.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I had caffeine when I was pregnant. Even though some people judged me for it, most didn't care one way or another. I gave up drinking (easily) and smoking (not so easily), but I drew the line at caffeine (I would sip an energy drink if I went out). My kiddo turned out just fine.

If I were to have another child, I wouldn't give up my daily coffee. It's a personal choice.

Do what you feel is right for you.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I gave it up completely when pregnant. My doctor said 200 mg/day was fine. I chose to cut it out because I already had several miscarriages and some studies have linked caffeine with higher likelihood of miscarriages in women who have already experienced early pregnancy loss. I eliminated caffeine out of extra precaution.

The 2 bottled frappuccinos have 40-75 mg of caffeine each so you are still WAY under the maximum amount! You can get the exact caffeine count in Starbucks's website. The vanilla bottle has less caffeine than the mocha one. Ask a doctor if you are worried. See what they say!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    go to your regular check ups and moderate the amount 220mcg is the recommended dose. I like many others drank caffeine while pregnant. I'd argue it's been an integral part of the human diet including pregnant woman for generations including the Native Americans consuming cocoa, west and east drinking tea and coffee.

An 8oz cup off coffee or 16oz of black tea