Females only (sorry guys!)

Options

Replies

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Secondary amenorrhea ( absence of a period) is typically the result of hormonal imbalances. These can be brought on by many factors including weight loss, stress, exercise and illness.

It is not uncommon ... think the stat I read recently was around 1/4 of female athletes experiencing it. Cant find the source I quoted in the previous post.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Really, my fluctuations don't change much from day to day, week to week.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't think I gain, but the scale definitely doesn't budge until afterward. I seem to always count on some kind of woosh directly afterward.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm usually down the week before, then up several pounds the week of. Crazy how a couple weeks out of a month are out of whack because of TOM.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    slhall0822 wrote: »
    Warning for the curious guys who decided to click on this post anyway... my question is related to menstrual cycles... consider yourself warned... continue reading at your own risk :-)

Ladies, I'm curious, how much "water" weight do you generally gain during your cycle? I weigh everyday to keep myself on track and to gain a better understanding of my own body's fluctuations in weight; however, I haven't been very consistent on weighing daily and tracking my numbers until just recently. I'm trying to gain an understanding of what is an "average" acceptable weight gain during TOM. (While also understanding that there's really no such thing as "normal" and every body is different. Not to mention there are a bajillion other individual factors such as diet, sodium intake, fluid intake, exercise, etc., etc.). Any other long-time daily weighers that see a trend? Thanks for your feedback!

I drink a tonne of water and eat pretty low sodium and I can gain 2-3 pounds in water weight. I also tend to put on water weight the day after weight training but it is lost the day after that.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    4-8 usually.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I average 2 to 5 pounds of water weight gained during my TOM. Although, I did once gain as much as 7 pounds (there was a lot of salty food involved ;) ).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't gain either. My weight doesn't bounce around much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ummm .. guys know this stuff because it is posted 2 or 3 times a week (if not a day)

anything around 5lbs for me

Prior to menopause when I had a period, it was about 5 pounds, sometimes more. Took a few days for it to go away too.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've only been weighing myself regularly for a few months, so all I've noticed is I think I hold more water during ovulation, not hell week.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personally don't notice any abnormal gain around my TOM - just my normal daily fluctuations.
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    3-6 pounds for me. Please don't weigh yourself during your period! Wait until the bloody war is over and wait 2 or 3 days then weigh yourself! Lol just make sure you are eating right and you should be fine!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have a similar question when you first started to get active and loosing weight . Did anyone else cycle get off?? Like symptoms but no actual cycle? ?

I'm experiencing this also. This is the second time in a row that my cycle is more than 60 days (it's typically about 35 days long -No, I'm not pregnant). I already mentioned it to my endocrinologist at my appointment a few days ago, but there isn't much that can be done unless I missed more than three consecutive cycles.

At this point, I'll contact my primary if I don't have it for another month (would have then missed three periods) and see what she wants me to do. I don't know if I should celebrate or be really worried -I'm still at a healthy weight, estimated body fat is adequate, nutritional goals are being met, so I don't know what else I could do.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I gain up to five pounds and it can take up to two weeks to go down
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Average seems to be around 5 pounds. That's good to know... especially when you're trying to lose weight SUPER slow and scale victories come in 1 pound increments. Stupid TOM. LOL.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Uh-oh, one of them weird guy people has shown up!

Because water weight fluctuations make it very hard and frustrating to judge your progress, do yourself a favour and use a website or app similar to www.weightgrapher.com.

Sites/apps like that can show you the trendline of how your weight is moving over time, cutting through the confusion.

Specifically, when you setup yourself as female, weightgrapher can be setup to superimpose on your current trendline your trendline from a previous (user changeable default of 28 days) monthly cycle for a direct visual comparison of where you were then and where you are now.

You can do this in the spreadsheet of you choice, use happy scale on the iPhone, or use www.trendweight.com either with a supported scale, or by using a free fitbit account to pass your manually recorded weight information through their integration.

Bonus, these options work for guys too :smiley:: when you wake up weighting exactly the same today as you did 10days ago these apps answer the question of whether you are in a plateau or not.

And yes, even without TOM to deal with, I've had months in which I lost 5.5lbs and yet weighed exactly the same on two random days, 10 days apart.

How much more so if you are close to goal, losing at 0.5lbs a week, and dealing with 5lbs of TOM related water retention!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    slhall0822 wrote: »
    While I personally agree with you that we're all adults, I know from personal experience that some guys (and even some gals) get squeamish as soon as you mention TOM... thought I'd save them the trouble :smile:

I only get squeamish because I don't understand why it has to be called TOM or some other cutesy name like it's too taboo to call it what it is.

I typically gain about 5 pounds the week of my period.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't detect a pattern at all, but I'm on the implant and rarely get periods. Taking extra progesterone right now because they came on really often but irregularly (and thankfully smaller!) but if I still have a "normal cycle" it doesn't seem to be impacting on my weight, and the irregularities don't affect it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I only get squeamish because I don't understand why it has to be called TOM or some other cutesy name like it's too taboo to call it what it is.

Exactly. Men are going to read the thread whether you want them to or not.

Men know about this...there is no reason to be coy/cutsey.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Lately 2 to 5. But a couple visits ago none.