When people give you advice while lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    sometimes i wish people would give me advice. but only good advice. but even if they did i would probably get defensive first and then end up following it after i thought about it.

but only the good advice.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I haven't had that,well once, I was doing rumanian deadlift and guy be like "bend those knees" and I was like, "No,it's rumanian" haha

But most of the time no one tells me stuff,only my coach, and I agree we must have strong backs and core,when I did my first squat at 60kgs I did use a belt,cos coach told me to,now I don't feel like it so I don't and I'm fine.

Romanian deadlifts involve bent knees, maybe you're thinking SLDLs?

He bent a lot, then again, wait a moment...stiff legs dead lifts you say?

AH you're right, oh I thought it was rumanian, hehe ,well I'm just recently using the proper names so yeah SLDL is what I do, thanks to you know I now how it's called.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I haven't had that,well once, I was doing rumanian deadlift and guy be like "bend those knees" and I was like, "No,it's rumanian" haha

But most of the time no one tells me stuff,only my coach, and I agree we must have strong backs and core,when I did my first squat at 60kgs I did use a belt,cos coach told me to,now I don't feel like it so I don't and I'm fine.

Romanian deadlifts involve bent knees, maybe you're thinking SLDLs?

He bent a lot, then again, wait a moment...stiff legs dead lifts you say?

AH you're right, oh I thought it was rumanian, hehe ,well I'm just recently using the proper names so yeah SLDL is what I do, thanks to you know I now how it's called.

Rumanian = Romanian? :p
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 as well. The younger men at my gym never offer advice. I've had older men at the gym offer me advice, and I take it or leave it. Most of the people who go there do weight training in some form, most of them on a machine. It's a grungy old gym geared mostly towards weight training.

When I first started at this gym, one guy, who's a "trainer," told me I shouldn't do bench presses because it can cause breast cancer in women. Because of the bar hitting the breasts or something? No idea. I just told him thanks, and that I'd look into it, and just kept bench pressing.

Another older man was critiquing my squats (again when I first started at the gym). But, he couldn't explain anything to me in a way that made it seem his advice was different from what I was doing.

There's one regular who has actually helped me quite a bit. My form was okay, but he's given me little tips (no big secrets, just things I wasn't thinking of being new to it all) that have really helped me, especially with my squats and OH.

Then, just this week, another regular noticed how much weight I was about to squat. He asked if I wrap my knees. I said I didn't, and didn't really know anything about it and if I should or not. He said he's been wrapping since he started lifting when he was young, because professional competitors told him he should. The other regular I mentioned said he doesn't plan to until he feels he needs the support. I've seen others wrap, but have never looked it up to see when or why you should. Maybe it's something I'll need to do at some point.

Sorry, my post longer than I meant it to be! But, my point is that, yes, I get advice about lifting. I take it or leave it. I've actually learned some valuable things from a couple of people. And if someone things my form is really off, I'd rather they say something and I'll take what they say and evaluate it. Maybe my form is off, maybe they're uninformed, but I'd still rather they say something in the event I am doing something wrong that I didn't realize.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've only ever spoken up once and it was when someone was just butchering a squat. I told them their form was terrible and that they'll wreck their back if they keep it up. I then recommended they should watch form videos or ask a trainer for advice.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    A man stopped me before I went to reverse barbell lunge last week, he looked my legs up and down and said "You want to slim your legs down right? You should cycle and do less of this stuff...You'll get your legs nice and toned". Not only did it piss me off, it made me self-conscious and ruined my workout.

I just told him that I "highly disagree" and like lifting. I also told him I've done my research and just tried to shut him down.

Wow, what an ignorant *kitten*. Crap like that is why women are cardio obsessed and terrified of lifting. Good for you, responding as politely as you did.

I'm sorry you had to face such sexist discouragement :(
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

When I first started at this gym, one guy, who's a "trainer," told me I shouldn't do bench presses because it can cause breast cancer in women. Because of the bar hitting the breasts or something? No idea. I just told him thanks, and that I'd look into it, and just kept bench pressing.

What?!!! Seriously, wtf?! There is zero science behind that. Ignorant d**chebag.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    blue736 wrote: »
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    He wasn't hitting on me, he was like in his 70's. I'll keep working on my strength and form so people won't have anything to say ;)

His in his 70s What's the big deal. He could ave been a pro in his prime.take his advise an LEARN FROM IT..love to see any of you guys train at his age..

The advice he gave was questionable ... that she should use a belt to "save" her back.