First week weigh in question.

Options
After diligently measuring and tracking everything all week, I didn't loose a single ounce. Is this normal? I do just want to lose about 25 pounds. It's discouraging because I was pretty hungry most of the week and had to exercise a herculean effort of self control too keep from overeating.

Replies

• Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just keep tracking. If you are new to it, you will need to take a couple of weeks to find your maintenance. Once you find that, you can start to do a caloric deficit. Also, using a scale will be most accurate for measuring.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Find foods that are filling for you. You really don't want to be filling hungry all the time. Keep track of exactly how many calories it takes to fill you up at each meal. Find out if multiple meals a day or three equal sized ones works for you. Include lots of protein and fiber in your diet they will help you to stay feeling full longer.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You will soon be told to weigh all the food, not measure it, because measuring can have you taking in more calories than you realize.

Weight loss takes time! Those 25 pounds aren't coming off this month or next month or the next. You're going to be at this for a while and there are going to be times that you don't have losses or the scale goes up instead of down. You need to decide right now that you're not going to let it make you feel discouraged. Gotta stick with it.

Wishing the food will give you a better estimate on how many calories you're taking in, so you might want to try it. If you just cannot bring yourself to weigh the food, give it another week. If you still lose nothing, drop your calorie goal by 100 every week until you do lose weight.

If you don't want to be so hungry, eat healthier foods. You can stay VERY full on fruits and veggies.

This losing weight thing takes time and and can require adjustments. Do not quit.
  • 1muzicalmom
    1muzicalmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all. My calorie goal is already at 1200. I am only 5'3" and 45 (okay, almost 46) years old. I forgot to mention that I am hypothyroid and on medicine, so I don't know if that is a factor. The medicine halted my weight gain, but after a year without losing, I decided to try this. It is forcing me to eat more fruits and veggies and walk more.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all. My calorie goal is already at 1200. I am only 5'3" and 45 (okay, almost 46) years old. I forgot to mention that I am hypothyroid and on medicine, so I don't know if that is a factor. The medicine halted my weight gain, but after a year without losing, I decided to try this. It is forcing me to eat more fruits and veggies and walk more.
    I don't have a thyroid and it totally affects weight loss. We lose slower. That's just how it goes. Don't fret when you lose slower than some computer has said you should or when you lose slower than a friend, co-worker or people online.

We have to work harder and we lose slower. As problems go, it's not a big one.

Just remember that progress is progress! Stick with it.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    After diligently measuring and tracking everything all week, I didn't loose a single ounce. Is this normal? I do just want to lose about 25 pounds. It's discouraging because I was pretty hungry most of the week and had to exercise a herculean effort of self control too keep from overeating.

You need to give it some time. You may not lose every week, you may gain some even.

One week, record your weight and keep plugging along.
    Week four or more where you haven't lost anything maybe be concerned and look into causes.

How large a deficit do you have? How much are you tryin to lose in a week? You might be too aggressive.

Try eatin more fats and proteins they are meant to keep you fuller for longer.
    The hunger should get better but work your willpower muscles and ignore it, have a glass of water etc

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'3" and 45 (okay, almost 46) years old. I forgot to mention that I am hypothyroid and on medicine, so I don't know if that is a factor. The medicine halted my weight gain, but after a year without losing, I decided to try this. It is forcing me to eat more fruits and veggies and walk more.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient! (I'm 5'2" and 47 years old.)

Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • 1muzicalmom
    1muzicalmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • kspirit
    kspirit Posts: 61 Member
    Options

• kspirit
    kspirit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.1 week and no loss. I do feel not so bloated. Keep on the path and let's see how next week's weigh in hoes. good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 days before I lost a single gram. And then it started coming off.

Just stick with it.