Thoughts on Planet Fitness?

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We don't have a PF in our community. I was in a PF once with one of my sons who lives out of town when he signed up for a membership. He got his hip broken in a motorcycle accident and needed some place he could work out out on the elliptical/treadmill and do some light weight training on the machines at odd hours. Since he was in there at odd hours he found you could do pretty much whatever you wanted within reason and the staff didn't care so he never had any of the stories going around like the blue shorts mentioned above, lunk alarms, etc. In his situation PF was a Godsend. As his recovery progressed he felt he "outgrew" what it had to offer and went somewhere else.

For the OP, go ahead and try it for a bit, especially if you haven't been working out. I'm pretty sure they don't make you sign a lifetime contract :) you can always go somewhere else if you needs/wants in a gym change.

Best of luck.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I liked them when I was a member. I quit because I never actually felt like driving there and was going less and less frequently. If there was one 100 feet from my house I would totally join again, even if just to walk on a treadmill in the air conditioning and watch Netflix.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i loved it and the only reason i left was because we moved and theres none near me now.

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What did you get in your place that you didn't get at Lifetime?[/quote]

Actually resistance training equipment. My gym has a lifting platform with bumper plates a prowler sled and a place to push and pull it, power cages that would be at home in an NFL weight room, battling ropes, heavy kettlebells, etc.

The things you mention, people handing you towels, stuff in the showers etc don't have anything to do with actually working out

Each to his/her own. [/quote]

It must depend on your gym. The Lifetime we go to has all of that except for the sleds. It has multiple lifting platforms and power cages. We picked it for the free weight area with lots of equipment for my sons and me, cardio and weight machines for my husband, rock climbing for my daughter and indoor and outdoor pools for all of us. Pick one that suits your needs, why pay for anything though that you will not use. Pf may suit you perfectly.