Elliptical

Options
Lsjackson79
Lsjackson79 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I recently purchased an elliptical and after looking at it in my living room for a week, I decided today was the day. Got on it and started. OH. MY. GOSH. My thighs were on fire immediately. I'm ashamed to say I barely made it 5 minutes before I felt that I might die. Burning in my thighs. Is this one of those things I will have to work up on? Or did I make a mistake in buying the machine?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just DOMs
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/fitness/pages/why-do-i-feel-pain-after-exercise.aspx

Your body will adjust in a short space of time and you will be able to go longer and faster.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of people can't do much to start with but work their way up quickly. Just stick with it!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You will build up your endurance over time. Make sure it is not set to a high level at first...
  • Lsjackson79
    Lsjackson79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's the embarrassing part, it's not. LOL I was trying to get the incline lower than 1. Ha!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You managed 5 minutes which is more than 3 ,2 or4 or 1. Just go with that level and see how you do tomorrow.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It is very awkward at first, but you'll grow into it. Just try to push yourself a bit harder each time. I struggled with it the first time, but used this as my primary cardio due to the low impact.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Getting started with exercise is hard. Good job getting started! There is nothing strange about your legs being tired and sore. Now you have a beginning place: 5 minutes at a time. Tomorrow, get on that elliptical and try to do another 5 minutes (it'll be a bit more difficult this time, since you'll be sore, but light cardio actually helps make the soreness go away faster, so try to push through). Once you have done that for a day or two, see if you can add another minute or two.

Don't berate yourself for it being difficult or for not doing "enough." Just do a little at a time. If you can, try to associate your cardio time with something else you enjoy that you don't do any other time (like watching a favorite tv show, listening to an audio book, or playing some favorite music). That may make getting on there and staying there a while a bit easier--and it's a reward for your efforts.

Also, remember that it is the fact that you are challenging your muscles that makes you get stronger. If it were really easy, you wouldn't get much benefit from those five minutes.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That's totally normal. When I first started working out after about a year hiatus, I could barely do 10 minutes. Last night (a couple weeks of exercising later) I did 25. It just takes time to build up your endurance. You'll get there :]
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eventually your body will adjust and you'll be able to do more time. Most people who just start out on exercise machines find that they could barely do 5 - 10 minutes. Years ago I started like that, now I could do an hour easily. Just keep at it.
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    lapidone wrote: »
    So I recently purchased an elliptical and after looking at it in my living room for a week, I decided today was the day. Got on it and started. OH. MY. GOSH. My thighs were on fire immediately. I'm ashamed to say I barely made it 5 minutes before I felt that I might die. Burning in my thighs. Is this one of those things I will have to work up on? Or did I make a mistake in buying the machine?

Awesome job! everyday do 5 minutes then increase time, I love it! not a mistake at all I now am up to 45 minutes on it at my gym.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Do low impact at first and go for about 15 minutes per day. As it gets easier, slowly increase the intensity and your time and it will not burn as much.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had the exact same experience the first time I got on an eliptical, except I was much too stubborn (or stupid) to stop after 5 minutes. After 10 minutes, I could barely walk to leave the gym and I had to call in sick to work the next day.

Got some learning about training and started going VERY slow. I switched from eliptical to running and have enjoyed it. I have run a half and am now training for an Olympic distance triathlon. It has taken me 5 years to reach this stage in training, but I have avoided any major injuries by going slow and listening to my body.

Don't be ashamed of where you are, be proud of your decision to change.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Do low impact at first and go for about 15 minutes per day. As it gets easier, slowly increase the intensity and your time and it will not burn as much.

If 5 minutes a day is challenging and leaves OP sore, that is probably an acceptable starting place. There's no shame in working up to 15.
  • the1irishgirl
    the1irishgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find that I can walk for hours (literally) but the elliptical works so many different muscles, that I find it difficult too. Just hang in there, you'll get it! :-)
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »

If 5 minutes a day is challenging and leaves OP sore, that is probably an acceptable starting place. There's no shame in working up to 15.

Thought I saw 15 instead of 5 in the original post. My mistake
  • w006cmd
    w006cmd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first got on one I could only do 5 mintues. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. But I got back on and did 6 mintues the next day. I added to it slowly. By having it at home you can do 5 mintues perhaps 3 times a day thats 15 mintues! Anyways, at one point I finally made it to 45 mintues and I wanted to jump off, run around and tell the whole world! Such an accomplishment. You just want to have it bad enough. Have distractions....I couldn't do it without some good music in my ipod. Also I used "vision" I imagine the blood rushing over my muscles and massaging them...sounds weird but it worked for me...what ever it takes, this is the best thing you can do for your self..and your worth it

• MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lapidone wrote: »

How has your progress been? Just saw this post and it's from about 5 days ago. I bought my elliptical June 14th. OMG I had no idea how hard it was going to be. I was only able to do 3 mins straight. I thought to myself how am I ever going to be able to exercise on this thing. Well I set a different style of goal in mind...I thought to myself If I can just do a mile a day on it, no matter how long it takes me to do it, that would be a huge accomplishment. So I got up and started. It took me 28 mins (with SEVERAL breathing breaks) to do one mile. Every .10 of a mile I would stop and breathe then push myself through the next .10. As of yesterday I got my mile down to 11mins (without stopping!) Keep pushing girl, it gets easier! Trust me!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    when I started I could barley do 10 minutes on a low setting,no need to feel embarrassed. You're making changes in positive way for your health and those don't come overnight. take your time and work up to it. you can do it!
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did the easiest workout setting on mine when I got it. It was 20 minutes and I took like 10 or 15 breaks to catch my breath and then when I finally completed that setting.... I passed out in to dead sleep naked and sweaty on my couch for like 3 hours lmao. I have been able to slowly work up to 45 minutes with no breaks currently, but you just have to start slow!! 5 minutes is better than no minutes! Then everyday try to do just a little bit more until you're at 10 minutes and so on and so on :) you'll get there! I love my elliptical, no regrets on the purchase :)
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It is just something that you will adjust to. That happened to me for the first while after I started using the elliptical. But 2 years later and my legs absolutely do not ache at all when I use it (even when I up the levels... I just get out of breath, but no leg pain) :)