82 pounds in 6 months with pictures

Options
dharbeck24
dharbeck24 Posts: 8 Member
Hello everybody. I am not one to publicly post about my weight but I am hoping to post my story to inspire someone. Like many people, I was overweight and out shape. I am a 34 year old 6'3" Male. I weighed in at 292lbs on December 29th of last year. Back in October I was playing with my 5 year son and realized that I was not fun to play with because I was unable to be active enough to maximize the quality of time I spent with him. I decided that enough was enough. I had let my self go from 235 to 292 in about 12 years. I was not looking like the guy my wife married and honestly was feeling guilty because my wife is a model of health. It was time to make a change. I convinced my work to hold a biggest loser contest that about 25 people joined. I decided to make it my mission to will this. I am a VERY numbers driven person so my HR manager introduced me to Myfitnesspal and explained that it helps a lot of people. I researched it, the science behind weight loss and decided it was just a matter of math and will power. My thought process was it is only 6 months, I can hit this hard. I committed to myfitnesspal and was able to eat almost 2000 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I found out that I was satisfied with about 1400. If I needed more I ate more but never more than 2,000 calories. Here was my method. I know this won't work for everyone but it did for me as I now weight 210lbs on my goal of 200.

BL%20Dan_zpsmfoqk6qb.png

Month one: Follow myfitnesspal and ate only about 1500 calories per day with no cheating. The weighed started melted off...I understand it is easier for me because I am tall and big. I decided it was time to add exercise to the equation.

Month two: Started going to the gym and maintaining my calorie goals. I felt no need or desire to eat back my work out calories. I focused 100% on cardio and lost even more even faster. Started to consider weight training to ensure minimal muscle loss. I worked out about 4 days a week on average.

Month three: Bought a fitbit. Best thing I ever did since like I said earlier I am very numbers driven and can log almost all my progress easily. I become obsessed with hitting my daily fitbit goals and I still am. I start working out my upper body because I have gained a ton of leg muscle simply by using and adaptive trainer, elliptical and walking.

Month four: I begin replacing some gym time and started riding my bike outside. I find out I love out door fitness and how good I feel. I decided it was time to get more serious about bike riding since I enjoy it so much. I am now realized that this is no longer a temporary thing, this is now how I live life. Started a walking group at work and got 4 other people to walk everyday at lunch with my to lunch. We walk two miles to lunch every day and 2 miles back whenever we can.

Month five: Start doing fun rides. Completed my first 20 mile and 16 mile charity bike rides. I am down over 75 lbs at this point obviously weight is not coming off as quickly because I am now much smaller. My calorie deficit is much less but still making good progress and get full a lot easier.

Final Month. Final month I am truly a different person and think about food and fitness differently. I have purchased all new clothes. I started with a 40-42 pant size and now a size 34. is a little lose on me, I went from a 3XL shirt to an XL shirt. I have energy and feel great. I will the competition by losing 27.7% of my body weight and 82 lbs. I no longer snore. I used to have GERD and now show no symptoms of acid reflux at all. I can fly on an airplane comfortably. I can play and enjoy my children like I never have before. I am now a fun dad and not just the sit on the couch and watch TV dad. I went from a BMI considered obese to normal (using the new BMI scale, I will have to get to 200 to be considered normal on the traditional BMI scale). I no longer have high blood or cholesterol. I wish every person could experience how I feel now and the energy level I have now. If everyone could feel it for one day before they started, I believe it would change their life. I hope this helps someone. I am not done. I have 10 lbs to go and plan on maybe gaining some back through strength training in the future. I hope this helps some one. I hope it doesn't sound like a brag but if I inspire even one person, I will be thrilled.

Replies

• btkennett
    btkennett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm following almost an identical plan. I started at 284 on April 15th, and I'm now 238. So glad to see that you were able to keep it going! I also have a goal of 200. Sounds eerily similar to my journey thus far, only I have been primarily running. Great work!
  • angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great job! It doesn't sound like a brag, but even if it did, you're allowed to brag when you've done something so inspiring!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Congratulations, you look great. Fitbits are wonderful.
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!well
    Done on all your hard work ..I'm down 58 lbs so far have another 30 plus pounds to get to my ideal weight.i go to the gym 3 times a week..kettle bell class once a week and spinning class 3 times..stories like yours keep me pushing on so thanks for sharing
  • meddaugh48
    meddaugh48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations on all the hard work.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing! did you win the contest at work?
  • Happy0110
    Happy0110 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is great!
    first off you look great, and I bet you feel great also.
    thank you for sharing your plan with us!
    what types of foods did you focus on? and on workout days did you get closer to your 2000 calorie goal?

Kudos to you and for your hard work!
  • AnneSoCal
    AnneSoCal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story! I just re dedicated myself to weight loss and am following the MFP calorie goal daily. Your story has given me even more motivation to keep going. Thanks for posting!
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! Very inspiring!
  • dharbeck24
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing! did you win the contest at work?

I did. Got $1000 dollars out of it all...that definitely motivates.
  • dharbeck24
    Options
    Happy0110 wrote: »
    Wow! This is great!
    first off you look great, and I bet you feel great also.
    thank you for sharing your plan with us!
    what types of foods did you focus on? and on workout days did you get closer to your 2000 calorie goal?

Kudos to you and for your hard work!

I cut out all fried foods, most but not all red meat and focused on fruits, vegetables and chicken and turkey. I also ate very little bread. On my work out days I would tend to eat 3-400 calories more at most.

• transformedbyhim56
    transformedbyhim56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've not only lost the weight, but have totally changed your life. It sounds like you are much much happier! When you find activities or fitness classes you love, it can definitely change your life. I know it has mine. When you are active, your body feels strong and powerful! I have lost 54 pounds, and I feel great and look so much better, but I really love life now! I can keep up with my grandkids and swim, bike, run and play with them and not get tired at all. That's the real pay off. It's about being the best version of yourself you can be! Congrats on all your success! You've worked hard and you deserve the rewards that come with it. Most people who have worked hard to do the same thing you've done, love hearing your story. And yes, I too, love inspiring others whenever possible. That's another reward you get from your accomplishment.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I bet you feel awesome because you sure look awesome!!!
  • creationscrown
    creationscrown Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!!! Love the monthly breakdown.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nice progression! Playing with the kids is so worth it! I like to play chase with my daughter because I get more steps in :p
    Congratulations
  • alohakaybee
    alohakaybee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome story. It's inspiring. Keep up the good work.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off big!
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    YAY!! So proud of you! You look great and I'm certain that your son is so happy to have a daddy who is energetic! Great job!!
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully inspiring story, thank you for sharing!
  • Farahworld
    Farahworld Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!