FitBit ChargeHR or HRM? [cross-post]

redperphexion
redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
I have a FitBit One and love it. I really like data and trends and graphs - they keep me on track and motivated seeing changes. As I'm getting more active, I'm becoming more curious about heart rate and target training, more accurate workout burns, etc. I'd like my gear to know that not only am I walking today, but I'm walking with 20lbs of groceries - I'm asuming HR will account for this extra effort/burn. I'm considering buying either a a ChargeHR or a HRM (Polar ft4 or 7, for example).

ChargeHR: I'm not sure about having to wear my 'Bit on my wrist all the time - insights? But I like that It would all be in one package. But I've heard that the HR function isn't super accurate; I could use it for trends, but not necessarily for accurate burns.

HRM/Watch: I like the idea of a HRM/sport watch, as I would continue to use my One, but then I would have a second piece of technology to remember to use (or another toy to play with to motivate me....?). I would also get accurate burns for my workouts, but would have to put on the chest strap all the time. But I wouldn't have to wear something on my wrist all day in order to track my daily activity.

Who has what gear and can make suggestions one way or the other? Do you love/hate what you have tried? Why?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    In a way, I've done both scenarios.

I've used a Zip/Flex + Plye Sports HRM and I now use the Fitbit Surge.

Fitbit + HRM:
    This can actually be the cheapest route. The Zip + HRM was about $90 for both. I liked the zip for the fact that hand motions didn't get accidentally picked up as steps. I however had a hard time remember to put it on and switched to the Flex for that reason (around the time Force came out). I did it this way for 2 years and it worked great. I did find that this combination underestimated my calorie burns enough that I was losing a 1/2 lb more than what I had MFP set to.

Fitbit w/HRM:
    Shortly after these came out I got the Surge. It had a lot of the features that I wanted. My chest strap HRM is starting to die. Since I wanted a Fitbit with a screen and I needed a new HRM, it seemed like the perfect solution. Bonus no more having to fiddle with a chest strap. I did wear my old HRM during a couple runs with the Surge and the main thing I noticed was there was a slight delay in reporting HR changes. That said, since switching my rate of loss now matches what I set my MFP account to. I went with the Surge for the GPS, multi-sport options, the water rating, and well the simple fact that the ChargeHR's were on backorder everywhere (I didn't want to wait).

While I really like my Surge, I wouldn't mind going back to the other way either. So I recommend whichever method you're more comfortable with. Good luck in your decision.
  • redperphexion
    Thank you, Shadow2Soul.

I'm not sure I'd wear the Surge all the time, but this was another option for me. I really do love my FitBit One, so for now I think I'll just keep guesstimating my burns and working at it. I'll need the money for new clothes in no time. ;)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I lost the weight and maintained with a Fitbit Flex. I upgraded to the Charge HR because it has a real buckle and comes in purple—the heart rate monitor was just a plus. So you'll be fine with just the One.

If you want more data, sync your Fitbit account with Trendweight.com (it's free) and weigh daily. TW plots a moving average of your Fitbit (or Withings) weight without the "noise" from water weight.
  • redperphexion
    Thank you!!! I was just noticing how I'm always plugging numbers for the last 3-4 months into my excel sheet, and it's always so wobbly. May try that out.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I've got the Charge HR, and that works well for me. Yeah, having to wear it all the time is an adjustment, but now I sometimes forget to take it off to shower, so I'm used to it. For me, having one device that does both is much handier for me. Less to remember to take with me in the morning!
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    what about the Apple Watch -- any thoughts on that ??
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    I have the Polar V800, I like the all day tracking, but don't need my heart rate all day, only need that while exercising. You can also just get the Polar H7 sensor, it will work with android or apple system on your smart phone, but only apple will sync with MFP right now. You can also see your heart rate on most cardio equipment it also controls the level/resistance/incline to keep you at a steady rate.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Sensor-BLE-BLK-M-XXL/dp/B007S088F4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436625836&sr=8-2&keywords=H7
  • mystismom9
    mystismom9 Posts: 2 Member
    Does anyone know how to sync the fitbit with myfitnesspal? Thanks
  • redperphexion
    mystismom9 wrote: »

You click on the "APPS" tab in the menu. :) Good luck.
  • redperphexion
    I have the Polar V800, I like the all day tracking, but don't need my heart rate all day, only need that while exercising.

HA! I don't quite have that kind of budget right now. lol It's look amazing though. :)

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have the Polar V800, I like the all day tracking, but don't need my heart rate all day, only need that while exercising.

HA! I don't quite have that kind of budget right now. lol It's look amazing though. :)

You don't need the watch with the sensor, The H7 sensor is less than the FT4 it's you just need a android or apple device to use it. It will give you more choices to work with than the FT4 and you can always upgrade to an A300, or M400 later is you desire the all day tracking.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    mystismom9 wrote: »

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users