Diabetics using insulin for muscle gain?

Options
2»

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    m95damico wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I am a somewhat recently diagnosed diabetic and I have been reading all of the conversations on here about type 1... And everyone is saying that they want to lose weight and have a hard time with it. I'm curious to know if anyone is using insulin to try to gain muscle, being that it is a hormone and can open up both your fat and muscle cells. Since being diagnosed, I have taken this as an advantage in the gym.

Turning a negative into a positive. I like your style sir. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    So you're a type II right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • m95damico
    m95damico Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No I'm type 1
  • m95damico
    m95damico Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you @slideaway1
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly asking if people do that method exactly. I would just like to know if there are any type 1 diabetics who aren't on here asking for people to motivate them to lose weight. It's pathetic sounding when no matter what keyword you type in regarding diabetes, all of the conversations are regarding losing weight. And that's what makes stereotypes for diabetes, even with type 1

Okay...I am a type I who isn't really trying to lose weight. My goal at this point is to gain strength and to build muscle. I do it through proper cardio and strength training doing reps and sets appropriately. I'm 46, but I was diagnosed when I was 15 and was about 15 pounds overweight at that time and lost by exercise and diet back then (mid to late 1980's.) I kind of agree with you about the stereotyping. I did get quite heavy at one point and no one, at that time, believed I was a type I because type I's are thin, right? WRONG. As far as that goes, my oldest son, who was never fat, was diagnosed with type I diabetes at the age of 18. He's 25 now. Hang in there. Work out properly. With age comes the weight and it doesn't have to be fat if you follow an appropriate routine.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I am a somewhat recently diagnosed diabetic and I have been reading all of the conversations on here about type 1... And everyone is saying that they want to lose weight and have a hard time with it. I'm curious to know if anyone is using insulin to try to gain muscle, being that it is a hormone and can open up both your fat and muscle cells. Since being diagnosed, I have taken this as an advantage in the gym.

Turning a negative into a positive. I like your style sir. :)

You're kidding right? Giving the dude kudos for this mindframe?

Tell me you're joking.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is this the Lance Armstrong thread?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...
    The truth is that bodybuilders have discovered the most anabolic hormone produced by the body, insulin. Additionally, insulin has the benefit of being not only legal and over the counter in most states, but it is very cheap. A bottle costs less then thirty dollars and there is no need to worry about counterfeits. By correctly using insulin, in conjunction with human growth hormone and anabolic steroids, modern professionals have added pounds of mass onto seemingly stagnant physiques.

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/anabolic-steroids-bodybuilding-articles/40-insulin-most-anabolic-hormone-part-1-2-a.html

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have read about strength training and insulin dosages is that extra insulin might be needed in order to combat any typical rises in BG because of the exercise. If, for instance, I notice that I typically rise 60mg/dL an hour after exercise (and my sensitivity factor is 1:60), I might program my insulin pump to give me a unit of insulin before strength training in order to prevent the spike in the first place. Of course, I still need to keep fast-acting carbohydrates and closely monitor my BG to make sure that I'm not dropping into hypoglycemic ranges.

I'm also a type 1 with plans on switching from losing to recomping within the next few weeks/months. I primarily use MFP for the sole purpose of tracking my macros (I've been experimenting with bolusing for fat and protein and seeing if that'll reduce my average standard BG deviation) but want to start regaining some of the muscle I lost due to the DKA and undiagnosed diabetes.