Need diet help - BF got ultimatum from Marines

Options
Hey guys. I need some help. My boyfriend was in the marines for 12 years and took a leave, and just recently rejoined after 2 years. He has been trying to cut weight but his idea of that is work out tons and eat barely nothing. I have lost 100 lbs myself so I know you have to eat to lose, etc. My BF has been very stubborn about this but finally agreed this am to let me help.

Basically his CO in the marines took him aside for a meeting today and said lose 45 lbs in 30 days or you are out. He is currently about 5'10 and 235 lbs. I know the marines is very important to him and while the numbers are a lot to lose in a month, I want to at least give it his best shot. I'm hoping that if he comes up a few lbs short they will overlook it and let him stay.

My issue here is what would work best for him. I know that women lose weight slower and in different ways. I did Atkins many years ago and while it was miserable, I dropped tons of weight quickly. I feel like high protein/low carb/lots of exercise daily would work for him. I have lost my weight simply counting calories. Right now it is about getting this weight off as fast as possible and once that's done we can get him on a maintenance diet that is healthier.

If anyone has any suggestions or what would work best between low calorie vs atkins vs whatever else, please let me know.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    45lb's in 30 days? No way is that happening.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's going to happen even if you low carb (you lose a lot of water weight and glycogen; but it'd come back when he reintroduces carbs into his diet).

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's over a pound a day—even if he goes low carb and sheds a few pounds of water and glycogen, I just don't see how that's possible.
    I'd say he should just give it his best and hope that they realise 45lbs in 30 days is impossible (also, don't marines have workers' rights??). Eat at a reasonable deficit, lift heavy weights to favour fat loss over muscle loss (surely the marines should be more concerned with body composition than just weight, no?) and be consistent.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The military has all kinds of programs for those guys. He should take advantage of that!!

They have people trained to explain and help with (and sometimes push you through) workouts and people to give you diet plans and all that jazz!

Tell him to ask someone about it. I can't believe they didn't make him do it. They used to do that, force the overweight guys to follow the programs.

If he asks, they'll hook him up.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that your bf do a little bit of research on the regulations. I don't think that they can just kick him out if he doesn't lose that amount of weight in that amount of time. I'm not sure how the Marines are, but I know with the Army if you bust tape you are required to see a doctor to rule out any medical issues, meet with a nutritionist and sit through some classes, and meet a guideline of losing 3-8 pounds per month. His CO can say whatever he wants, but he has some guidelines to follow too. Have him do his homework and in the meantime start working on losing weight, but he needs to remember that doing something extreme may have an effect on his health and his physical fitness in the long run.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Basically his CO in the marines took him aside for a meeting today and said lose 45 lbs in 30 days or you are out. He is currently about 5'10 and 235 lbs.

Even in Ranger school you can't lose that fast.

Back out 15 pounds of water loss (yeah I know) and you're still looking at a pound a day, which means a 3500 cal/day deficit. Meaning he would have to literally eat NOTHING while still somehow staying very active.

It's not happening. Rather than fail on an impossible goal, set an achievable goal (like 20 pounds, including water loss) and beg the CO for mercy.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Other than cutting off a limb (or two), that's an impossible goal.
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I realize the 45 lbs isn't happening. As I said I would like to give it his best shot and hopefully they will see he's making an effort and they will give him a chance.

So back to the main concern, would low carbs or low cal be more beneficial?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I realize the 45 lbs isn't happening. As I said I would like to give it his best shot and hopefully they will see he's making an effort and they will give him a chance.

Weight loss always boils down to calories in vs calories out (CICO).

Low carbing is just another way to do that.

Low carbing will make him lose more water weight and glycogen which will make the scale go down, but to what extent I cannot tell you as it is different for everyone.
  • momma_4boys
    momma_4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know of a few people who were in a similar boat but instead of being fat overweight they were muscular overweight. Huge muscles putting them outside the acceptable Marine guidelines and they were booted. Good luck, but I think he needs to go to a weight loss program that they offer at the clinic there on base and hope that showing effort and consistency will allow him to stay in.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Damn. I thought we were needing people in the Armed Forces, not shoving them out
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I would suggest that your bf do a little bit of research on the regulations. I don't think that they can just kick him out if he doesn't lose that amount of weight in that amount of time. I'm not sure how the Marines are, but I know with the Army if you bust tape you are required to see a doctor to rule out any medical issues, meet with a nutritionist and sit through some classes, and meet a guideline of losing 3-8 pounds per month. His CO can say whatever he wants, but he has some guidelines to follow too. Have him do his homework and in the meantime start working on losing weight, but he needs to remember that doing something extreme may have an effect on his health and his physical fitness in the long run.

I second this ,, There are Regulations his CO has to follow, unless your BF has already been on the program and has not made any progress, If he was that overweight he should have already been in the program. Thats a Mandatory Regulation. 45lbs in 30 days is almost impossible and definitely not healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    He may end up being malnourished when it's said and done if the attempt is made. What I don't understand is that is this can't be the first time it's been brought up I'm sure. And if that's the case and you're saying that the Marines are so important, then why didn't he address it earlier?
    Anyway, what are the actual regulations and protocols that are to be followed? Or are you just going by what the CO is stating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff: He has been addressing it for the past 2 months and joined again last 3 weeks. I don't expect anyone to understand what he has been going though since he has lost both his brother and dad in the last month. He has still been trying and dropped 20 lbs. looking for advice, not snide comments here.

Thanks to those who answered with helpful comments.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Low calorie. He need to preserve muscle, so he should only be losing about 2.5lbs a week. See if he can use the resources of the Marines to help with this--go to them and say, my CO says X, I need help. The doctors SHOULD intervene without any hand-holding.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm reading the OP incorrectly, but it sounds like the man was in the marines, then left and how wants to rejoin. The fact that is he not currently a member of the marines is why the military has not been on him or offering support services. Since his is a veteran, he might look into what services are available. There. But clearly, whoever told him to lose 45 pounds in a month doesn't know anything about nutrition or weight loss.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Is your BF Over the weight requirements for the marines.

My guess is he is and could be kicked out immediately but has been given a chance to get under the required weight.

I guess give it his best.

But then again why would they let him join if he is overweight an then give an impossible deadline with threats of being kicked out.

Maybe they know it's impossible and its to motivate/scared/push him to lose fast
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff: He has been addressing it for the past 2 months and joined again last 3 weeks. I don't expect anyone to understand what he has been going though since he has lost both his brother and dad in the last month. He has still been trying and dropped 20 lbs. looking for advice, not snide comments here.

So is he enrolled in the weight control program? What have they done or what are they doing to get him to lose the weight? What kind of time frame are you talking about? The way that your OP read he was called into the CO's office and was just told this, but now you make it sound like the weight has been an issue for awhile now.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im no sure this makes sense OP are you telling us that he joined 3 weeks ago and his CO has just told him to lose 45 in 30 days or be booted or has he had the overweight problem for a while? It doesnt add up to be given an impossible amount to lose, but it would make more sense if hed known about the traget weight for a while?

Is he actually in the Marines or is he hoping to rejoin and some form of reservist? becayse surely they knew about his weight at the time you said he joined 3 weeks ago? Why didnt he wait?

Id agree with the above posters who point out what help he cna get from the marines themselves and also contact one of the support organisations who know the regulations on these sort of things.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

That reply was the only side thing here honey. Your post just laid out that there was some sudden expectations of him set forth by his CO, expectations which are neither attainable nor healthy.