Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Domineer wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.

I like steak and potatoes, chicken and steamed veggies, italian foods, Jamaican food, American food, Asian cuisine mostly. I lost a ton of weight not recorded on MFP. 1630 is what MFP recommended for a 2/lb a week weight loss. It's an adjustment but nothing I haven't done before. Last year u significantly cut my cals and got down to the low 230s from 270 within 4-5 months. I picked up 12-15lbs but luckily, not all fat. I do 80-100 push ups a night, average 8k steps a day, and still lift and do cardio at the gym 3 days a week. I gained due to my love for cheese and lots of it since this January. However, I still fit the same clothes just fine but I want to be down to 220 or less.

Do you think that is significant in any way?

Do you think it's not?

It tells me that he doesn't move much. That is kind of counter to his implication that he has gained muscle from working out. 3 day a week at the gym isn't very impressive either.

Good thing weight loss is easier for men...

Why do you feel 8k steps isn't moving much? Why do you feel 3 days/week at the gym isn't very impressive? Does it need to be impressive?

If you are going to brag about it and talk about how you have gained "muscle" instead of weight, yes.

By the way, I do at least twice that, often quite a bit more. I'm just a woman though...
    Since you seem to believe that putting down the accomplishments of others because they don't measure up to your own, maybe you could post what you lift when you go to the gym all those times so people can tell you that you aren't lifting enough because someone else lifts more.

Your incessant "hey, I do more than that" isn't helpful and edges toward derogatory.

For the most part, I don't see why the diets of people who are trying to accomplish the same things as OP wouldn't be potentially helpful, male or female. Just scale up or down to your calorie goals. The allocations are going to be pretty similar, if slightly lower on protein for some women.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Men eat differently than women? AWESOME no more cooking for him!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Men don't eat quiche.

Lies and slander. Apologise immediately :D
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Men don't eat quiche.
    Eggs and dairy and shrimp and peppers AND a crust. Oh, yeah, I eat that stuff.

• scottgperry2142
    scottgperry2142 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Domineer! Congrats on working to lose weight. Good for you! I'm an office guy, have dropped 32 lbs and continuing to grind off another 50. Because I'm diabetic I'm on a strictly Vegan diet. While I thought it would be a nightmare, it has actually been fantastic! After a month I don't miss meat products at all and the fat is dropping fast. Men do have some different concerns when it comes to protein intake and our tastes for foods. Ignore them and press on! The one diet item that really helps me are black bean Vegan burritos. They have a lot of fibre and protein, reasonable calories and low carbs. There are many recipes out there, but best just to make your own to your own taste. I use dried black beans that I cook in the crock pot, onions, lettuce, tomato and salsa (with no sugar added.) If I freeze them (make a dozen or so) then I leave the veggies off. You could add cheese. Give it a try...and best of luck!

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a goal of 1640, but usually eat more than that due to exercise. However, my meal planning helps me stay in that 1640 range on days that I don't exercise, and I am never full. I'm 5'7" 259lb sedentary (office job) with a goal weight of 160 (tip top of the "healthy" bmi chart for my height).

And for this reason is why I wanted men to give me their input, ladies. All of your points are valid but comparing another man with my goals and what we eat and their progress just motivates me more. I'm 5'10, 247lb....I have an office job with a true goal weight of 200lbs. Nothing personal ladies, this is your forum, no doubt about it. But please, picking on us males, being the minority on this site, is overboard just a tad

Yeah this happens a lot online, and its strange, its very common to want to compare to the same gender and there is a lot of logic behind it, women wanting to hear from similar women doesn't generate all the "OMG you are sexist" type replies (and they really shouldn't), but men seeking posts from other men do.

On average a guy has more muscle mass per weight than a woman, have more in common in activities and activity likes with other guys than women, have more in common with other guys food choices than women, have more in common with guy's effort into putting a meal together than women. Yes you can find exceptions to each and every one of those always, but on average, if you have more in common with other guys, its logical to request to limit the field a bit. Its odd how some people manufacture "offense" out of it. You didn't even say "no women", you said "particularly the men", strange thing to spend energy being offended at.

Plus you are newish to this probably, so probably aren't aware that other factors like matching caloric intake per day, burn per day, meal number, diet type, size and height are more pertinent to match than gender if you are going to be looking at like-sized food portions and meal compositions. You could look at mine if you wish, but I'm eating about double what you do, and I'm bigger, more active, and I don't group food by meal, so you'd be better off matching characteristics I just mentioned with someone else.

I think the girls only threads are silly, too. Outside of questions about menstruation.

Who said they were offended? I think it's incredibly short sighted to limit yourself to getting input from boys because they're boys instead of people because they're successful. That's all. There no implied or stated offense.

As to the bold - that's going to vary more on a persons goals rather than their gender.

The OP is 5'7" and 259 pounds. I'm 5'5" and started at 232 pounds (149 now, and like I said previously, I eat more than he does, daily). I think I have fairly relevant experience to offer, but I won't because of my gender. His loss :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Considering your calorie allowance is about the same as mine (a real like woman), feel free to look at my diary. I have low days though because I bank for the weekend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Agreed 1630 is low. The goal is to determine how much you can eat while still losing steadily. The TDEE calculators can help you sort that out, then keep track and adjust as needed.

That may be your goal; that is not everyone's goal. It could theoretically be defined as a math equation.

"Dieting" is any unnatural restriction in your food intake and as such produces a product that we'll call unhappiness. Unhappiness is proportional to the daily level of unhappiness (proportional to calorie deficit level) multiplied by time.

A small deficit diet may have unhappiness X1 with diet duration to goal of Y1, yielding unhappiness X1Y1.
    A large deficit may have unhappiness X2 and diet duration to goal of Y2, yielding unhappiness of X2Y2.

It is possible for X2 to exceed X1 (more short term unhappiness) and Y2 to be less than Y1 (shorter time of dieting) and have the product X2Y2 be less than the product X1Y1. Hence for some people in some settings, a faster diet may have more short term pain but a net benefit in the end.

I love this.

Please add to the equation the effect of too much unhappiness on compliance.

I have low unhappiness and high compliance.

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It seams like the op just wants to compare his dietary needs to someone. If the op is a 200lb male, his states are going to be more in common to another 200lb male than a 200lb female. I agree that the op shouldn't seek insight from just any males food dairy, but another male with similar stats. For example, my food dairy would be pretty useless to the op since I'm bulking and my stats is much different than his.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    j6o4 wrote: »
    It seams like the op just wants to compare his dietary needs to someone. If the op is a 200lb male, his states are going to be more in common to another 200lb male than a 200lb female. I agree that the op shouldn't seek insight from just any males food dairy, but another male with similar stats. For example, my food dairy would be pretty useless to the op since I'm bulking and my stats is much different than his.

But he is eating the same calorie amount as many of us females. Yeah, his macros are going to be different but he can still get ideas from our diaries as far as recipes go.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    grza36 wrote: »
    Height and fitness goals have more to do with it than gender...

Both of which correlate strongly with gender, so the OP is not "wrong" in what he's asking for.

How about we all cut the dude some slack, eh?

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    My husband eats what I eat, but in larger portions. He is on this site as well... I'll see if he wants to respond to your post as I apparently am not qualified.

OP never said that.

• dcrandall57
    dcrandall57 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not sure why this blew up like it did. OP didn't state "no women". First responders seemed to be making rhetorical jabs.
    A lot of nastiness followed without any input from OP.
    All he was wanting was feedback from a male perspective. And yes, women do have valid knowledgeable input. But, he needed the men to back and encourage him to keep going and advise him.
    I hope the best for OP. And he is able to meet his goals.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OP never said that.

I misread what the OP wrote and have requested the mods remove my comment as I was combining his comments with some other comments that were written early in the thread. My mistake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OP never said that.

I misread what the OP wrote and have requested the mods remove my comment as I was combining his comments with some other comments that were written early in the thread. My mistake.

:drinker:

You rock.
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, I am eating 2500 calories a day and losing a pound a week. I can't do the low calorie diets any longer. It makes me mean. My maintenance is just under 3000 calories to stay at 188lbs. I eat about 350g of carbs, 160g protein and the rest from fat.

Lots of chicken breast and rice with some green beans & green chili.
    My morning shake (black beans, oats, protein concentrate, banana, cocoa, almond butter).
    Top round steak and eggs (1 egg and 6 egg whites) with 1.5 cups oats
    Tilapia and sweet potato with broccoli
    2-3L of water
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Do a search for "open diary". You should find results like the one linked below. There'll be dudes responding on there. Click their profile and click on "View diary". Enjoy ;)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10076311/to-those-of-you-with-a-public-food-diary/p1
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine is public, check it if you want. Occasionally theres one last casin shake + 200 ml milk missing as last meal, sometimes i just dont mind adding as long as i am sure i had the free calories left and wont eat anymore.
    Calories are currently set to 2600 with 5km/day running + 3days weight lifting 1day rest cycles. 2600 cals is enough to maintaim my current ~71 kg.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.

I like steak and potatoes, chicken and steamed veggies, italian foods, Jamaican food, American food, Asian cuisine mostly. I lost a ton of weight not recorded on MFP. 1630 is what MFP recommended for a 2/lb a week weight loss. It's an adjustment but nothing I haven't done before. Last year u significantly cut my cals and got down to the low 230s from 270 within 4-5 months. I picked up 12-15lbs but luckily, not all fat. I do 80-100 push ups a night, average 8k steps a day, and still lift and do cardio at the gym 3 days a week. I gained due to my love for cheese and lots of it since this January. However, I still fit the same clothes just fine but I want to be down to 220 or less.

Do you think that is significant in any way?

Do you think it's not?

It tells me that he doesn't move much. That is kind of counter to his implication that he has gained muscle from working out. 3 day a week at the gym isn't very impressive either.

Good thing weight loss is easier for men...

Why do you feel 8k steps isn't moving much? Why do you feel 3 days/week at the gym isn't very impressive? Does it need to be impressive?

If you are going to brag about it and talk about how you have gained "muscle" instead of weight, yes.

By the way, I do at least twice that, often quite a bit more. I'm just a woman though...

I don't disagree with you that the claims of gaining muscle on that type of activity are rather far fetched.
    What I'm taking issue with is why you feel the need to downplay or belittle other's activity simply because you can do more. These things are all relative.

Thanks for sticking up for people like me, UltimateRBF. I've been feeling absolutely awesome and have lost 25 lbs from CI<CO and averaging 10,000 steps a day. But that's not good enough? Well, you know what can be done with that opinion.

:)
    I'll be honest, I was also sticking up for myself. Between long hours at a desk job and a commute both ways, I'm sometimes lucky to break 5,000 steps on a work day. But I make up for it by controlling my intake and being as active as possible on my days off. I am learning to run and finally ran 5K the other day. I've also lost close to 40lbs in the last year, which isn't much but I've had to break through a lot of mental walls to get where I am. Still breaking walls.
    I have friends that could deadlift cars and others who run marathons for fun. Compared to them I'm like Homer Simpson. But they all had their starting point and I had mine. This isn't a pissing match, the biggest competition is with yourself.

So if what I do isn't good enough by someone else's standards, then oh well.

I also have a desk job. My starting point was bedridden.

Do more.

Welp. You know what you can go do.