Not enough protein...suggestions please.

Options
Teeladog
Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
At my annual physical this week, my blood work showed that my protein numbers were low - outside the "normal" range. Not significantly so but my doctor wants me to pay attention to that part of my diet as they have been steadily declining for several years.

I have done quite a bit of research to find out how many grams of protein I should be eating every day. Based on my weight and activity level, it should be around 90 grams (female, currently weigh 160 and would consider myself active - work out 6 days a week, reasonably active job, large dog that requires regular exercise, kids that I play with etc.).

Here is the problem...I have been making a huge effort to eat more protein the past few days and I am still not getting close to 90. Today I had:

Luna bar and Greek yogurt for breakfast
Moe's Taco for lunch (ground beef and black beans) with chips and a small sprite
1/2 cup of ice cream for snack
Trex mix (mostly nuts with some raisens) and a banana for dinner (I am at work tonight and didn't have time to pack a "real" dinner).

That came in at 1603 for calories and 58 grams of protein. I could eat more calories today if I wanted to but I am not hungry.

I know that I could have chosen not to have the sprite but I only do that once a month or so - I don't drink caffeine so soda is not really a part of my life other than a very occasional sprite when my throat is sore.

I am not actually all that worried about the calorie count at this point. I don't want to go nuts but I am not really restricting at the moment. What I need to know are what kinds of things I can continue to add to my diet to get more protein.

Dairy products are ok but I can't do just milk (I love it but it doesn't love me). Ice cream, yogurt, and cheese are all things I can tolerate well.
I can't stomach eggs...even the smell of cooking eggs makes me sick to my stomach.
I know about beans and nuts but they don't actually seem to add the big numbers I need to get to.
I have already switched to greek yogurt.

Any ideas/advice. Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. 58 grams of protein? That is kind of sad.
  • Teeladog
    Options
    Oh...I do eat meat but I just don't see me eating it at every meal. It feels like that is what I am going to have to do to get the numbers up. I am trying to make sure I eat it at at least one meal every day now which is not something that I have been doing. Previously, it would not be unusual for me to go a couple of days in a row with out meat.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Did you use lean ground beef? Less calories for the same protein-so you could have eaten more.

Also, nuts are great, but are really more of a fat than a protein source. You could have eaten half the but mix, and replaced the other half of your calories with a light string cheese or something similar. Some are 7g protein for 50 calories. If you ate 2-and added even 2 more oz of beef you would have around an additional 24g of protein-for very similar calories. Another 1/2 cup of Greek and I think you'd be over your protein goal.
  • Teeladog
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can look at my diary. 58 grams of protein? That is kind of sad.

I know....this is my problem. It is sad and has been a problem for me for years. Thus my low numbers. The doctor actually said to me that he has no problem with me drinking Ensure for a while too while I figure this out. I just turned 46 though and I think I am too young for that yet :) My husband thought it was hysterical though.
  • Teeladog
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Did you use lean ground beef? Less calories for the same protein-so you could have eaten more.

Also, nuts are great, but are really more of a fat than a protein source. You could have eaten half the but mix, and replaced the other half of your calories with a light string cheese or something similar. Some are 7g protein for 50 calories. If you ate 2-and added even 2 more oz of beef you would have around an additional 24g of protein-for very similar calories. Another 1/2 cup of Greek and I think you'd be over your protein goal.

For some reason the past few years I have gradually reduced the amount of meat I eat. Even when make it I choose to eat very little. I need to change that. I don't have a problem with meat (although I am not a fan of chicken, to be honest). This is why I am not focusing too much on calories right now. I need to shift my focus to getting more protein in (within reasonable calories, of course. I don't want to gain weight...I just can't focus on losing right now too).
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Make way for some protein shakes, maybe? Using a substitute for milk, of course [Almond Milk is shockingly delicious, as I've found]
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know OP...I'm cutting. I've had 1500 calories today and am at 136 grams of protein. I know you want to focus on protein because it's difficult for you. But once you get some ideas, if you want to lose-it's totally doable. I think your goal is even a little low, but it's a good starting point.
  • Soyviz
    Soyviz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi-- I had the same prob. My nutritionist told me about Explore Asian brand of bean-based pastas (edamame, soybean, mung and black bean). I eat them with homemade tomato sauce; they are lo-carb and high in protein. No, they don't taste as good as regular pasta (!), but as a 45-yr-old type 1 diabetic who is trying to lose 10 lb I'll try anything :) Available on Amazon and I believe Whole Foods.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Teeladog wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

For some reason the past few years I have gradually reduced the amount of meat I eat. Even when make it I choose to eat very little. I need to change that. I don't have a problem with meat (although I am not a fan of chicken, to be honest). This is why I am not focusing too much on calories right now. I need to shift my focus to getting more protein in (within reasonable calories, of course. I don't want to gain weight...I just can't focus on losing right now too).

Meh-I've completely given up meat. Took me a while to adjust but I generally get around 90-100g protein a day now. Greek, whey protein powder sometimes, sneaking in protein by choosing breads and processed foods with the higher amount. If you add in a small amount of meat and/or fish it's super easy. You'll get used to it.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    String cheese is a great option if you can find one with minimal fat. Try a protein shake if you're really having a lot of trouble. Chicken breast and fish are also great options at about 22-26g of protein for roughly 4 oz. If you eat bread look for one with a slightly higher protein count like 5g or more so if you have a sandwich that's already 10g right there not counting what's in the sandwich. Lentil soup and turkey chili w lots of beans are also some of my fave options!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, about 20g protein; protein shake; soy or almond milk; peanut butter; eggs or egg substitute; beans
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in s great because you can add it to other things, I add it to my yogurt and oatmeal. String cheese and lunch meat, lean cuts of meat, tofu, lentils, soymilk--all food protein choices.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do not think you should be so hard on your self. 58 grams is 2/3rd there already. I would suggest quest bars and protein shakes that are already mentioned. You could also have a huge meat meal everyday. A lb of chicken for lunch will get you there really quickly with not requiring many calories to do so. Though my style of eating isn't for everyone ^_^
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Tuna and wild canned sockeye salmon are both high protein, fairly low calories; frozen wild salmon burgers.

Also when buying Greek yogurt check the protein amounts. Some yogurts markted as Greek or Greek "style" are much closer to regular yogurt in protein content. 15g or more for 175ml (3/4 cup) is what you should be seeing, not 7g.
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I grill turkey breast at least twice a week to put in salads. I love the 'salads in a jar' idea because they are easy to take with you and you can leave them in the refrigerator for a few days. I usually put 3-6 ounces of meat in a jar, depending if I am adding blacks beans as another protein source. I also have an open diary and try to get at least 30% of my calories from protein, which is about 100 gms per day minimum. I do supplement with shakes and found a great source at a local health store for plain whey powder with no additives.
  • JasonUMcDaniel
    JasonUMcDaniel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish? Fish is very high in protein and low in fat.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    How odd, I don't eat any animal product and I hit 85 grams kinda easily :open_mouth:
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I honestly skipped everyone's comments so sorry if someone's already said it, but have you looked into a cheap whey protein? 24-30g of protein per scoop and you can generally get 70-90 servings for $50-100 depending on the brand. I use mine daily to reach my 200g plus goal. Along with meat, nuts, and dairy products(greek yogurt
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    0% greek yogurt - 17-18g per 3/4 cup
    cheese strings - around 6-7 g protein
    tuna, with crackers - can't recall the #s but alot
    protein bars - ~ 20 g per bar
    protein smoothies - ~ 30 g per scoop
    chicken/lean beef/turkey

found a multigrain bread at the store this week that has 17 g protein for 2 slices (sorry can't recall the brand, but take a look to see what your store has)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    How odd, I don't eat any animal product and I hit 85 grams kinda easily :open_mouth:

I'm a former vegetarian (late 80's, early 90's), may be one again. When I was a vegetarian and a distance runner I found it very difficult to maintain my protein intake without relying heavily on soy products. I'm not frightened of soy but incorporating soy from organic sources produced with as little processing as possible was very challenging at the time. I don't know if that situation has changed but would be interested in seeing what the formulation of the various soy sausages and other such foods is.

Sure there are plant sources of protein other than soy but on reviewing vegan diets soy based products tend to be the most protein dense or most widely consumed. I'm a big fan of black beans and rice and chickpeas, but these come with a high carb component too which needs to be factored into one's carb macro objectives.

If I return to being a vegetarian chances are I'd not to the whole distance, certainly not immediately, and would transition via the lacto-ovo route and continue to eat fish and shellfish.