Mowing the Lawn burns 777 calories?

Options
Hi all, added mowing the lawn to my log today. It said 60 minutes burned 777 calories, seems a bit high to me. Does it take my weight into account or is it the same for everyone regardless of size.

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Did you use a MFP standard entry? Then nope, it's generalized. If you feel the need to log it (personally, I wouldn't), eat back only half max.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes it takes your weight into account when it calculates the calories burned. My weight was already loaded in. It told me I would burn 404 calories if I mowed the lawn for 60 minutes at my current weight. I played with the weight to see how much it changed. That number still sounds high to me though. It only gave me general or riding mower as an option.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I would've counted mowing the lawn as a standard activity and not logged it. Then again, we have a riding lawnmower, even though I must balance carefully the whole time, lest I fall off.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Here's what I got from my activity monitor for mowing the lawn, 1112 kcal
    Calories 1:47min average heart rate of 136 bpm 1.5 miles
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How far can you run in an hour? It'll be about half the calories of that. So yeah....that number is likely way way to high...
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's generalised and likely way overestimating. You'd burn some calories if you're spending hours using a push mower up and down hills. Unless you've worn a heart rate monitor, I would bother logging it or eating back the calories but that's just my personal approach.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    That number is for mowing the lawn with those manual ones where you are pulling pushing and tugging at the mower not the petrol or electric ones.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Personally id never count mowing the lawn as excercise. At the end of the day where does it stop? Washing the car? Hoovering? To me all of these things are taken into account by your base calorie figure. Counting these small acitivites seems a little bit like cheating.

Not trying to be rude. Just my 2p :smile:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    That number is for mowing the lawn with those manual ones where you are pulling pushing and tugging at the mower not the petrol or electric ones.

I have a push reel mower, and using that thing does work up a sweat. Our yard now is so small that I likely wouldn't count it as it takes like 15-20 minutes, but when I had a rather massive yard and it took 2 hours to mow ... Oh you bet I'd count it.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    Personally id never count mowing the lawn as excercise. At the end of the day where does it stop? Washing the car? Hoovering? To me all of these things are taken into account by your base calorie figure. Counting these small acitivites seems a little bit like cheating.

This is from the CDC web site

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

Aerobic activity or "cardio" gets you breathing harder and your heart beating faster. From pushing a lawn mower, to taking a dance class, to biking to the store – all types of activities count. As long as you're doing them at a moderate or vigorous intensity for at least 10 minutes at a time.

Intensity is how hard your body is working during aerobic activity.

How do you know if you're doing light, moderate, or vigorous intensity aerobic activities?
    For most people, light daily activities such as shopping, cooking, or doing the laundry doesn't count toward the guidelines. Why? Your body isn't working hard enough to get your heart rate up.

Moderate-intensity aerobic activity means you're working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat. One way to tell is that you'll be able to talk, but not sing the words to your favorite song. Here are some examples of activities that require moderate effort:

Walking fast
    Doing water aerobics
    Riding a bike on level ground or with few hills
    Playing doubles tennis
    Pushing a lawn mower

Vigorous-intensity aerobic activity means you're breathing hard and fast, and your heart rate has gone up quite a bit. If you're working at this level, you won't be able to say more than a few words without pausing for a breath. Here are some examples of activities that require vigorous effort:

Jogging or running
    Swimming laps
    Riding a bike fast or on hills
    Playing singles tennis
    Playing basketball

You can do moderate- or vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or a mix of the two each week. A rule of thumb is that 1 minute of vigorous-intensity activity is about the same as 2 minutes of moderate-intensity activity.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

If its a push manual mower then it cna amount to a serious amount of exercise. His body will know 100% how many calories have been burned.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Moderate-intensity aerobic activity means you're working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat. One way to tell is that you'll be able to talk, but not sing the words to your favorite song. Here are some examples of activities that require moderate effort:

Walking fast
    Doing water aerobics
    Riding a bike on level ground or with few hills
    Playing doubles tennis
    Pushing a lawn mower

Duuuuude, you should hear me belch out bad 90's pop through all of these activities! :tongue:
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My doc gave me a good tip: "intentional" exercise is the only thing to log. Not gardening, painting, walking the dog, vacuuming, etc... you get the idea. These are all "living life" activities and you always do them. I used to have that quandry because I am a landscaper. If I log my regular work activities it's a crazy number of calories. But I have been doing it for 25 years and my body does not consider it exercise.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My doc gave me a good tip: "intentional" exercise is the only thing to log. Not gardening, painting, walking the dog, vacuuming, etc... you get the idea. These are all "living life" activities and you always do them. I used to have that quandry because I am a landscaper. If I log my regular work activities it's a crazy number of calories. But I have been doing it for 25 years and my body does not consider it exercise.

Depends on how active you are, it would make a difference. But by your doctors standards, then a lot of us shouldn't count when we actually do go exercise, because we do it almost every day.

• brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Mowing my yard is not a "small activity". I easily burn 700 calories in an hour. 1.6 acres! Measured with hrm.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    Washing the car?? Hmmm WAX ON WAX OFF (LOL)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Hi all, added mowing the lawn to my log today. It said 60 minutes burned 777 calories, seems a bit high to me. Does it take my weight into account or is it the same for everyone regardless of size.
    If it was push mower maybe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Using a hand mower, it takes me over 14k steps and 3.5+ hours to get it done. With a tractor, I wouldn't count it, but I definitely count it when I do it by hand.