Need diet help - BF got ultimatum from Marines

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Oh, so they gave him three months to lose 45 pounds? Still almost 4 pounds a week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So back to the main concern, would low carbs or low cal be more beneficial?

It depends on his activity level. The higher the activity level, the less likely low carb will work for him.

In the end, it comes down to the deficit - the weight loss will be entirely determined by the deficit. Low cal/low carb are just tools to achieve that deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Damn. I thought we were needing people in the Armed Forces, not shoving them out

Hasn't been that way for a loooooooong time. Way more applicants than spaces, selection process is much tougher now than it was say 30 years ago.

It's still not exactly hard, but yeah...no longer taking "just anybody".
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Ninerbuff: He has been addressing it for the past 2 months and joined again last 3 weeks. I don't expect anyone to understand what he has been going though since he has lost both his brother and dad in the last month. He has still been trying and dropped 20 lbs. looking for advice, not snide comments here.

Thanks to those who answered with helpful comments.

That reply was the only side thing here honey. Your post just laid out that there was some sudden expectations of him set forth by his CO, expectations which are neither attainable nor healthy.

Yeah, OP is clear as mud now....is it 45 pounds or 45 minus 20 pounds? One month or three months?

Whatevs...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Basically his CO in the marines took him aside for a meeting today and said lose 45 lbs in 30 days or you are out.

Inidcates thats the start and finish of it. Why would they let him rejoin if his weight was a problem.

It could be hes had the target a lot longer than a month and the CO was merely pointing out that unless he met it by the deadline then he was going to be out. It just so happens he has 45lbs more to lose and only a month left?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Basically his CO in the marines took him aside for a meeting today and said lose 45 lbs in 30 days or you are out.

Inidcates thats the start and finish of it. Why would they let him rejoin if his weight was a problem.

It could be hes had the target a lot longer than a month and the CO was merely pointing out that unless he met it by the deadline then he was going to be out. It just so happens he has 45lbs more to lose and only a month left?

There is a lot about this whole situation that is confusing.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your BF is giving you the wrong information. His CO would have to refer him to the dietician. The CO can't make medical determinations for eligibility. Or discharge. That is medical, and he would recieve a letter. The letter would be a warning, and give him a time frame with body fat percentage and goals.

If his CO did make a medical determination, your BF can appeal this to medical.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your BF is giving you the wrong information. His CO would have to refer him to the dietician. The CO can't make medical determinations for eligibility. Or discharge. That is medical, and he would recieve a letter. The letter would be a warning, and give him a time frame with body fat percentage and goals.

If his CO did make a medical determination, your BF can appeal this to medical.

Makes much more sense.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love the abuse flag I got further up. I admit to being dense; but, can anyone, please, enlighten me as to how I am being abusive in my post above, and to whom?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I assume its for promoting VLCD.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    To be fair, PAV8888 was only recommending it under the supervision of a doctor. Personally, I don't think that was irresponsible.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I assume its for promoting VLCD.

Thanks @Mr_Knight. You're probably right as to the reason.

I would have though that a "report" to a moderator for violating TOS would have been more appropriate as opposed to "abuse" in that case though!

Oh, well. Can't win them all!

For the record I am not (at least in my mind) PROMOTING a VLCD. Certainly not in the way I see them promoted in threads where people tout their success at losing ##(#) lbs in time frames that make it evident they're engaged in VLCDs while claiming they feel great, energetic, and healthy and anyone can do it!

Given that we know the OP's husband is basically going to try his own version of a VLCD by eating salads and exercising till he drops I am very reluctantly pointing out to the OP the least unhealthy options that may be available to him to minimize the inevitable dangers and side effects.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    To be fair, PAV8888 was only recommending it under the supervision of a doctor. Personally, I don't think that was irresponsible.

Personally I think MFP's finger-wagging policy on VLCD is ridiculous, but hey, I'm not the one who flagged the post. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think there is more to this than what is being posted. The military invests a lot of money into every soldier. They would not just do something like that at the drop of a hat. Either this has been going on way longer than is being posted, or there is another reason they want him out.

In the Army, the overweight program goes for a 6 month period. If enough progress is made in that period, it can be extended.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Speed of weight loss aside, is 190 even an appropriate goal weight for him?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Speed of weight loss aside, is 190 even an appropriate goal weight for him?

For 5'10"? As an upper limit? For sure.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The Marines invested tons of money in him for 12 years. They will do what they can to keep him now that he is back in. Have your guy enroll in a program acceptable to the CO that will document his progress. When he misses the deadline, he can probably get an extension.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO 6110.3 W CH 1.pdf

A cursory glance at the reg shows that at 5'10 he can weigh 191 pounds and not exceed 19% BF. Rules are rules and in the age of sequestration, all branches are cutting the low hanging fruit ... which those violating body composition standards are.