Strong Lifts 5x5 Questions

Options
limetree683
limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all

I started stronglifts properly about a week and a half ago, I have completed the 5th workout with varying levels of success across the different lifts. I was wondering about the following:

1. Squats. While I wouldn't say I've reached failure on any of the sets as yet, I noticed today that my form on several of the reps was not perfect - a little bit of knee collapse, and maybe some leaning too far forward. I do squat ATG so found occasionally I had to use these as aids to hoist the weights up. With the next workout, do I keep the same weight until form is perfect for every rep again, or do people usually keep adding weight as the programme requires. I have not failed any sets and don't feel like I am at imminent risk of injury but of course I do not want to be injured in the future!

2. My barbell rows are still weak. I did 25kg with pretty poor form - couldnt get most of them up to my chest! So I guess I just stick with 25kg or drop a weight until form improves?

3. I was previously running C25k (made it to week 5 so far). Does this sound like a reasonable work out schedule?
monday - workout A
tuesday - c25k
wed - workout B
thursday - c25k
friday - workout A
saturday - c25k
sunday - rest

At the moment I dont have time to go to the gym everyday as I was doing so am preferentially doing stronglifts with a 15 minute cardio walk/jog warmup but hope to return to the above pattern in a couple of weeks.

4. And finally the biggie - doing the above on a deficit. Anyone tried it? Especially stronglifts, I'm not that strong anyway as you can see, so am not sure if running this on a deficit is a good idea if building some muscle is part of my goal? I am 5'7, 74.8 kg, I want to lose another 12kg to get to the middle of my ideal BMI range. I eat 1500 cals a day, usually anywhere to 20-200 cals less than that. Is that too much of a deficit considering my TDEE is 2121?

Would appreciate any insights, thank you for taking the time to read this essay! :)

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well, when lifting on a deficit you will not gain a lot of muscle, you will however decrease the muscle loss as part of weightloss, which will help you look more muscular than without lifting. To really build muscle you need to eat in a surplus, so either save that untill you reached your goal or look into doing recomposition instead.
  • limetree683
    Options
    Thanks AslSmile - I did read a little about recomposition and it seems that may be right for me. Are there any links you've tried that could help me out?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts, and variations off of it, for almost two years. I've been lifting my current program since March on a cut. It can be done. You have to listen to your body...

My feeling, having been cutting pretty consistency since March, is that when you're lifting really heavy and cutting calories, you tend to naturally oscillate between a true calorie cutting diet and some kind of recomp strategy. There are weeks when I can maintain a calorie deficit pretty good with just 3 days of lifting hard and a walk every morning and watching my calorie intake. And those weeks are great; fat comes off and I don't feel starved.

And then there are other weeks when it seems like my body is craving energy, so I find myself eating more on lifting days, to fuel the lifting. And I think on those weeks, what I'm doing is probably a lot more closer to a recomp strategy, because I'm in a deficit on my non-lift days, but my lift days tend to be more maintenance or sometimes even above that.

The one thing I don't want to do is stop lifting heavy. So I do whatever my body asks, as far as fuel, to keep that aspect going.

Some weeks I don't lose any weight. But I do notice, as the weeks roll by, small changes in shape, definition in certain areas, and a hardening of muscles (my thighs, for instance, just this week, started to feel a lot more firm to me, especially the quads).
    Is that too much of a deficit considering my TDEE is 2121?

IMO, on a lifting day, yes. But that's just an opinion based off how I feel when I don't get enough fuel.

My preference has been, on a lifting day, either a very slight calorie deficit (like 200-300) or maintenance. Anything less and it just seems like my body is screaming for food, and I don't like that; tends to lead to bad fuel decisions.

Listen to your body. You'll know if you're trying to do too much, or not giving it enough fuel.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts, and variations off of it, for almost two years. I've been lifting my current program since March on a cut. It can be done. You have to listen to your body...

My feeling, having been cutting pretty consistency since March, is that when you're lifting really heavy and cutting calories, you tend to naturally oscillate between a true calorie cutting diet and some kind of recomp strategy. There are weeks when I can maintain a calorie deficit pretty good with just 3 days of lifting hard and a walk every morning and watching my calorie intake. And those weeks are great; fat comes off and I don't feel starved.

And then there are other weeks when it seems like my body is craving energy, so I find myself eating more on lifting days, to fuel the lifting. And I think on those weeks, what I'm doing is probably a lot more closer to a recomp strategy, because I'm in a deficit on my non-lift days, but my lift days tend to be more maintenance or sometimes even above that.

The one thing I don't want to do is stop lifting heavy. So I do whatever my body asks, as far as fuel, to keep that aspect going.

Some weeks I don't lose any weight. But I do notice, as the weeks roll by, small changes in shape, definition in certain areas, and a hardening of muscles (my thighs, for instance, just this week, started to feel a lot more firm to me, especially the quads).
    Is that too much of a deficit considering my TDEE is 2121?

IMO, on a lifting day, yes. But that's just an opinion based off how I feel when I don't get enough fuel.

My preference has been, on a lifting day, either a very slight calorie deficit (like 200-300) or maintenance. Anything less and it just seems like my body is screaming for food, and I don't like that; tends to lead to bad fuel decisions.

Listen to your body. You'll know if you're trying to do too much, or not giving it enough fuel.

Great post good information. I also feel starved part of the time since starting crossfit. I usually fuel up on massive amounts of meat and the hit some extra cardio to put me under calories.
  • limetree683
    Options
    Thanks for the link Troutsy and colors_fade thanks for the idea of cutting the deficit down to a minimum on lifting days, that sounds like a good plan, will try it next week.

As you've been doing stronglifts, did you find your form improving even as the weights progressed or when you noticed even minor form failures on mulitple reps did you spend a few workouts at the same weight correcting form?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    1 & 2: Get your form right. Do not advance past Go. Do not collect $200. Seriously, get your form correct first. Bad form is a recipe for injury - increasing weight when you can't (truly) handle the load is a very bad idea.

3: That may be hindering your recovery, which could be contributing to your form issues. Then again, it may not, depending on if you're getting enough rest otherwise and eating enough. I've only briefly (quite a while ago, too) looked at C25k, so I don't remember exactly what you'd be doing at this point. You may - depending upon your goal(s) - wish to try something a little lighter for cardio at this point. If running is your primary fitness goal, then maybe StrongLifts isn't quite the right strength program for you at this point. It really comes down to your individual goal(s).

4: I won't address that, as you've already gotten some good info/recommendations there.
  • limetree683
    Options
    Thanks for bringing that into focus TR0berts! I think in my heart of hearts I knew while I was typing that what you said re: 1 & 2 is correct and was the answer I was gonna get anyway. Your point re: 3 is a good one - for a beginner runner maybe it is too much to ask to progress on both cardio and weights at this time, and I think my priority will be strength training so it isn't unreasonable to cut my cardio. Enjoying the weights more anyway! Maybe will just do a much lighter running schedule on my off days.

• colors_fade
    Options
    As you've been doing stronglifts, did you find your form improving even as the weights progressed or when you noticed even minor form failures on mulitple reps did you spend a few workouts at the same weight correcting form?

The heavier the load, the less perfect form you are going to have. This is just a fact of lifting heavy. The only people I've seen with great form on very heavy lifts are folks who have been doing it for years.

As you progress in StrongLifts, it's going to get harder, and your form is going fall apart a bit. At that point I think the best course of action is to back off the weight and do something you can complete with good form. If you're form falls apart on the last two or three reps of the last set, no big deal. But if the weight is so much that you can't do good form on even the first set, then you're probably doing too much.

When I started StrongLifts, I used form as a gauge for knowing I was at my limit and that I shouldn't up the weight the next session.

Example: When I'm squatting, if I am attempting more weight than I can do with good form, I roll forward onto my toes, so I can finish the lift and not fail completely. That's when I know my form has fallen apart, when I end up on my toes instead of driving through my heals.

When I was doing StrongLifts 5x5, and progressing through the weights, I'd get into those situations where I'd start a set with 5 more lbs. than the previous session, and I'd find that even on my first set, I'd be rolling forward onto my toes before the last rep. That's when I knew there was no way I was going to get through the 5x5 workout that day with good form, so I'd back off to the previous weight and do the workout with that weight, because doing that many lifts with bad form is just asking for injury (especially on deadlift, as I learned). And I'd do that for however many workouts in a row until I felt I could make another progression.

Now, when you plateau like that, and you're stuck on the same weight for several sessions in a row, that's when you'll have to pick a strategy for overcoming it. Mehdi suggests rolling back the weight several lbs. and starting the progression over. It's his de-loading, re-loading strategy.

I tried that, but I wasn't a fan of it, so I came up with something different and it's worked for me and still works for me. I still hit PR's almost every month. What you do when you plateau is up to you. There are all kinds of strategies that work.
  • colors_fade
    Options
    I think my priority will be strength training so it isn't unreasonable to cut my cardio. Enjoying the weights more anyway!

Best advice I got when I started on my fitness journey was to pick an exercise I enjoyed, because I'd stick with it. I ran for two years before I started lifting weights. I hated the running, and it did nothing for me. I love lifting.

• limetree683
    Options
    Thanks for the insight colors_fade, your advice has been really practical and I am sure will help me. Working out tomorrow, so for the next month or will try eating to maintenance on lifting days and working out strategies on how to do 5x5 without compromising on form. Much appreciated :)