Eating a surplus with a stomach ulcer

Options
I've mentioned that I have a stomach ulcer a few times in discussions but it always seems to get ignored. So I decided to make it its own discussion. Certain foods (full fat milk, acidic fruits, and fatty pastes like mayonnaise and peanut butter to name a few) tend to cause me a lot of pain and I've been told that when it comes to ulcers, pain= damage. Does anyone have recommendations for foods that won't raise the acidity in my stomach too much? I'm eating mostly clean and trying to keep a variety of foods in my diet, but I'm not seeing any results.

Replies

• priss831566
    priss831566 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too...battling gastritis and also need to gain back 10 pounds of weight lost due to health issues. Hoping we both have success! :smile:
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The lack of answers may be due to the fact, that most of the people on here aren`t doctors or nutritionists and it could be almost dangerous for your health (bleeding etc.) if they give you wrong advice. I would strongly recommend you to go to a gastroenterologist and a nutritionist and get some qualified info there!
    Generally, it would probably be best to get rid of the ulcer, so reduce the stress in your life, do some sports and get a test for helicobacter (but you probably know all of that:)
  • breezybree511
    breezybree511 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lacaro1 wrote: »
    The lack of answers may be due to the fact, that most of the people on here aren`t doctors or nutritionists and it could be almost dangerous for your health (bleeding etc.) if they give you wrong advice. I would strongly recommend you to go to a gastroenterologist and a nutritionist and get some qualified info there!
    Generally, it would probably be best to get rid of the ulcer, so reduce the stress in your life, do some sports and get a test for helicobacter (but you probably know all of that:)

Ive been seeing a regular doctor about the ulcer, and he tells me which foods to avoid which is why I posted this. I've been through all of that already and I'm on medication for the ulcer. But my doctor just keeps saying I'm a healthy weight and don't need to bulk. At 105 lbs, I disagree. So I came here for advice on bulking and suggestions for food I should eat. Not for help treating my ulcer. Guess I should've more info.

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I perforated my ulcer more than once. I have turned to pretty much a paleo diet. I eliminated sugar unless its in fruit. So no soda's or carbonated beverages. Grains and dairy. Just went to the Dr and he was amazed how well my stomach looked and I feel the best In years not to say under extreme stress I don't have a flare but that's what I'm doing. I am no longer on meds. Good luck to you!!!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/diet-for-stomach-ulcers-tips-on-what-to-eat/

Basically it looks like if its not on this list, it should be ok - unless its not in which case don't eat something if it disagrees with you. . I looked at your diary and see you are not eating many vegetables at all. Are you taking a multivitamin to compensate for the lack of nutrition in your diet? I suggest your diet needs cleaning up a lot. Its not what i'd call a healthy diet.

You are still eating quite a lot of rich fatty foods eg bacon! Sausages! tacos! And your diet lacks fibre.
  • handydai43
    handydai43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    lacaro1 wrote: »

Ive been seeing a regular doctor about the ulcer, and he tells me which foods to avoid which is why I posted this. I've been through all of that already and I'm on medication for the ulcer. But my doctor just keeps saying I'm a healthy weight and don't need to bulk. At 105 lbs, I disagree. So I came here for advice on bulking and suggestions for food I should eat. Not for help treating my ulcer. Guess I should've more info.

Hi There I also suffer from a Duradenal alcer , it's something we both live with and without a dought people don't understand that we can go and eat 30 - 50 % of wat normal people eat . For me it's clean eating all the way brown rice , sweet pato, plenty of veg . And most inportant of all is not to eat after 6 or 4 hours befo bed as food will rest on the alcer doesn't mater if it's clean eating it's the weight of the food that puts pruss
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned that I have a stomach ulcer a few times in discussions but it always seems to get ignored. So I decided to make it its own discussion. Certain foods (full fat milk, acidic fruits, and fatty pastes like mayonnaise and peanut butter to name a few) tend to cause me a lot of pain and I've been told that when it comes to ulcers, pain= damage. Does anyone have recommendations for foods that won't raise the acidity in my stomach too much? I'm eating mostly clean and trying to keep a variety of foods in my diet, but I'm not seeing any results.

I'm sorry, I just saw your post today. I have the same issues, and also lactose crazy. I am not a fan of cows milk, even skim, drink almond milk. Totally different from peanuts. Treat yourself to ribeye steaks (full fat) and steamable veggies with no preserves. This is how you win.

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Chicken is boring. If you are going to eat it, I have a few recipes
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bulking is about the calories not so much the kind of foods.

Just stay away from the foods your doctor warned about and anything that noticeably makes you uncomfortable. Keep up your progressive resistance program I assume you are doing and you will gain.