How to maintain focus whilst going through tough times

Options
Hi

I want to start by saying I'm not searching for sympathy, I would just like to find out if anyone can recommend any coping mechanisms.

Yesterday I found out that after 1.5 years in remission my blood cancer (mds) has come back. I am due to start chemotherapy next week.

At the moment I am mostly in shock and trying to work out how much it is going to effect my life. I am currently very active.... I teach body attack and body pump, I cycle to work, I work out most days. I fear I will lose a lot of this due to the chemo so will have to find a way of coping with this change again.

Also I find the first thing I do when upset/frustrated is to reach for food. Tonight as an example I ate a whole bag of kettles crisps, 2 scones with cream, a chocolate bar and half a tub of ice cream.... On top of normal food!!

When tired I get a huge craving for sugar and cards..... And when upset it's like I just want to feel full for comfort.

I would love to hear your thoughts for how I can try and get through these 6 months without piling on the pounds!

Replies

• Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to keep your mind busy, keep yourself occupied and set yourself some weekly goals, write down why you're setting yourself those goals and what you're going to do to achieve them. Having someone there to talk to to fall back on can be beneficial too. Long walks when you're feeling down really can help out as they clear your head and they'll also give the extra benefit of burning off extra calories. When you crave these kinds of foods try and drink some water and leave it 10-15 mins and see if you're still craving them. Just a few things I know can help people :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear. I have had several friends and family go through chemo and radiation. The first thing is to make sure you stay hydrated, which will help you feel fuller. The second is to stay as active as possible. I know my dad's oncologist told him as much as he would want to, the worst thing he could do was go straight home from a treatment and plop into a chair. So he went to the golf course and depending on the day would walk his way through 9 or 18 holes then go home and crash. Of course, he wasn'tsetting any records, but he went religiously. My mom also walked a lot during her chemo, but there were times her immunity got so low that she wasn't allowed out of the house. Each cycle she responded a little differently. Her appetite virtually disappeared at one point and everything tasted so bad we had a real hard time keeping her nutrition needs met.

Take every day as it comes, even if you have to force yourself to move just a little that day. Other days, you will probably be able to do a modified version of one or more of your workouts. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery <3

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you are going through this. Do take care of yourself.
  • bobdazzler
    bobdazzler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if any one can give me some tips please. I have lost one stone In 7 weeks and now for the last 2/3 weeks have not lost any, I am exercising 3-4 times a week and sticking to my calories but it's all just stopped . What can I do ?
  • Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As you've lost the weight your metabolism has also decreased so you need to lowerr your calorie intake, depending on what you're currently consuming its usually 100-200 calories less Bob
  • fitmap73
    fitmap73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the tough news. Talk to your doctor-- there's emerging evidence that calorie restriction during chemo is really beneficial. See https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01802346 So try seeing your diet as part of the way you are fighting the cancer. I'm also a big stress eater and I've recently had some luck with meditation-- if you can use meditative techniques to control your thoughts and impulses, you can more readily pause them and set them aside. I've only been doing it a little while but it seems to help.
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!! I'm definitely going to stay active, I just might not be up to body attack and body pump all the time!! I've decided to use it as a time to focus on my yoga strength and flexibility!

That trial is really interesting though. Will definitely keep that in mind as I go!!
  • AndreasEvans
    AndreasEvans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!! I'm definitely going to stay active, I just might not be up to body attack and body pump all the time!! I've decided to use it as a time to focus on my yoga strength and flexibility!

That trial is really interesting though. Will definitely keep that in mind as I go!!

Hi Emma,

I read with interest your post, finding myself in a similar position and not looking forward to the impact of my upcoming chemotherapy.

To begin I want to wish you a full and speedy recovery and hope, very much, this has taken place in the intervening weeks and you have made a full return to health?

In addition and on a somewhat selfish note, I also wondered how things went (in terms of motivation during your ordeal); whether you managed to maintain a level of active pursuits and if so...what's the trick? What if any "coping strategies" you employed? What if any things you learned not to do?

But above all, I would love to learn that you have passed through this dreadful experience and are well.

Kind regards,

Andreas

• AndreasEvans
    AndreasEvans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear your thoughts for how I can try and get through these 6 months without piling on the pounds!

Hello Emma-Louise,

Firstly I very much hope you are making a full & speedy return to health and that you have found the answer(s) to your question.

On a somewhat selfish note, I too am about to undergo chemotherapy and am therefore very interested to know if there are any insights you may care to share that you have found useful, or indeed, things to avoid?

I don't know if the following is of interest but if you've ever wondered where the weight goes when one looses it, which I did; partly out of interest but mainly to see if I could use said knowledge to influence my own weight, then you will learn much from this:

Ted Talk - Math of weight loss

Hope this helps and that you are back to your top form again.

Kind regards,

Andreas