can I EVER cheat???

Options

Replies

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Can I EVER overeat and still successfully lose weight? Such as a weekend indulgence?

I hae cheat days once in awhile. My cheat days really aren't as bad as they had been in the past. I found sometimes it definitely could hinder my weight loss. But it also helped me stay on track the rest of the week.

It's really personal preference I suppose.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Can I EVER overeat and still successfully lose weight? Such as a weekend indulgence?

I hae cheat days once in awhile. My cheat days really aren't as bad as they had been in the past. I found sometimes it definitely could hinder my weight loss. But it also helped me stay on track the rest of the week.

It's really personal preference I suppose.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Shoot for 80/20

oh "overeat"? yeah you can eat too much sometimes, just be careful it doesn't take you off track. so figure out what gets you off track.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want something extra, I work for it ... do some extra exercise and burn more than enough calories to cover it. :)

That said, once I hit my goal on about June 12, I took a break from logging for a good 3 weeks, went on holiday, ate whatever I felt like eating, exercised my butt off ... and now, one week after returning from holiday, I am a only a mere 0.5 kg up from where I was before. Not bad! :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your calorie defecit is best viewed across the week

A eat a couple of hundred under your defecit each day Mon to Fri and on Saturday you have an additional 1000 calories to burn

There's no cheat in that

But it may be the scope you need for a night out
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! I don't call it a cheat day but a FREE day! I train hard 6 days a week and 1 day I eat what I want! But only one day! Sometimes it's 1 meal or little bits during the day. But I won't deprive myself. It works for me but others may feel they might lose control it takes practice! I'll have 1 meal I like and half a candy bar etc. I cut things in half. I have grown a lot from over indulging, but it is a process and it's definitely something you have to watch!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There are lots of strategies for allowing for a indulgences. Banking calories for a weekend or meal. I find that days I indulge are combined with big activity. Running a 1/2 marathon followed by several hours of site seeing is good for a 1500 calorie meal without skipping a beat.
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The thing that I struggle with is getting 'back to it' if I feel like I've blown it and cheated. Bit of a perfectionist thing.

One useful strategy is a bit like the 5:2 diet... you know that you can set your goal loss and it gives you a calorie allowance for that loss... so most of the time I'm happy with the calories for a 2lb a week loss if I eat my exercise calories but on a weekend it is possible to switch the goal to maintain or a slower rate of loss therefore having lots of freedom whilst remaining in control. It's a long term thing isn't it, you just have to play around with it to see how you can make it 'livable with'.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Op here. You guys gave me great advice! I miss my ice cream but will try to incorporate it as part of my calories on the OCCASION :)
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Cheating is a loaded word. I treated myself to an awesome sushi lunch today, I think I went over my calories by 700!! Never before have I eaten so much (well, not since I started this change in lifestyle). But... I ran for 30 minutes this morning and a full hour after my awesome meal. Sure I probably will see a spike in weight due to sodium, and maybe this week I'll lose .3 pounds less. Don't care. Did I blow my 54 pound loss? Heck no! Will I go over tomorrow? Heck no. Did I love my sushi today. YES. This is not a beginning and ending kind of effort. This will be my life always. And some days I'm going to want something that doesn't for in my 1200 a day. I ate at a steeper deficit this week in preparation and I busted my butt at the gym. I feel no guilt but I feel amazing satisfaction, particularly for feeling no guilt.
  • JasonUMcDaniel
    JasonUMcDaniel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd love to "cheat" but everything i've read says no food rewards. It is a diet after all. Once i hit my target weight. I may start eating things i want to eat, but when i do it will be in moderation and only on days that i get a big workout.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Op here. You guys gave me great advice! I miss my ice cream but will try to incorporate it as part of my calories on the OCCASION :)

I eat ice cream every day ...it's not that many calories ...
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I had a big piece of cake tonight..this sort of thing doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just appreciate the happy feeling of eating cake and move on =)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's calories in, calories out. Weight loss will depend on the amount of calories you take in.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you love your ice cream just fit it in your calorie allowance, i have ice cream regularly i just pick the slightly lower calorie flavours/brands and follow the guidance on the tub for a serving weigh it on my scale and eat. Although i had some lovely chocolate salted caramel haagen dazs ice cream (quite high calories for a serving) yesterday but I'd been very active during the day do it fit in.

Sorbet is another alternative, fewer calories than ice cream same satisfaction :)
  • jesseyboo
    jesseyboo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YR
  • jesseyboo
    jesseyboo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YES! YES YOU CAN CHEAT! anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. And don't even call it cheating. Enjoy whatever you want. Listen to YOUR body! You know how much junk food is enough etc. I just ate 8 Oreo cookies and had burger king last night with a large soda and a Hershey pie.I don't eat like that all the time. So do whatever you want. Everything in moderation
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I try to have smaller amounts of what I feel like and still fit it in my calories, but lets face it, sometimes you need a giant slice of pie or a good run at the buffet. I have only had two days where I have eaten over calories (and then, significantly over) in the 4 months I have been doing this and it felt like the right thing to do at the time so I did it, no cheating involved.

It did however, take me two weeks in EACH INSTANCE to get back on track after those days. 4 weeks of extra hard work to make up for 2 days of big eating. I can see me doing it less often, now that I have done the math.

I am 40 and eating at 1200, so it takes a while to shave off the extra to make up for a big indulgence, so your individual experience may differ (I can't cut back to 900 a day without keeling over, at most I can cut back to 1100 and manage), but you do have to remember that with great pie, comes great responsibility.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I must add - the only way my strategy works is when I log every single nibble and gulp taken during those over-indulgent days so that I know what I need to make up for. Pretending it didn't happen? That is a strategy that baffles me.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your calorie defecit is best viewed across the week

A eat a couple of hundred under your defecit each day Mon to Fri and on Saturday you have an additional 1000 calories to burn

There's no cheat in that

But it may be the scope you need for a night out

Yeah, I do this so I can still have treats but it's not cheating.