6 weeks is this where I should be?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Go up to at minimum 1200 calories so your body will not use your muscles as fuel only your fat and add in the olive and coconut oils. Being on that low calorie of a diet can actually trash your metabolism and eventually you will go into starvation mode and stop losing. Doctor's are not actually taught healthy nutrition anymore so I would say do your homework on your own. Most important I would say eat CLEAN. No artificial anything, if it has over 5 ingredients put it back. Eat a (natural!) rainbow of colors, natural or better yet organic/grass fed meats. What many people don't know is that while some "food" is low calorie it is not healthy and the chemicals they are adding in to make it taste "good" are killing brain cells (excitotoxins like aspartame in diet soda) and making you crave more food (MSG!). Eat real food. From plants and animals not factories. If you already do, then yay you!

If you are able, exercise! If you really want to net under 1000 calories a day burn them with activity and don't starve. Without eating enough basic nutrients you will be in worse health than when you were overweight. No matter how thin you are, if your organs shut down you won't be enjoying it for long.

This is wildly unhelpful.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    .[/
    Go up to at minimum 1200 calories so your body will not use your muscles as fuel only your fat and add in the olive and coconut oils. Being on that low calorie of a diet can actually trash your metabolism and eventually you will go into starvation mode and stop losing. Doctor's are not actually taught healthy nutrition anymore so I would say do your homework on your own. Most important I would say eat CLEAN. No artificial anything, if it has over 5 ingredients put it back. Eat a (natural!) rainbow of colors, natural or better yet organic/grass fed meats. What many people don't know is that while some "food" is low calorie it is not healthy and the chemicals they are adding in to make it taste "good" are killing brain cells (excitotoxins like aspartame in diet soda) and making you crave more food (MSG!). Eat real food. From plants and animals not factories. If you already do, then yay you!

If you are able, exercise! If you really want to net under 1000 calories a day burn them with activity and don't starve. Without eating enough basic nutrients you will be in worse health than when you were overweight. No matter how thin you are, if your organs shut down you won't be enjoying it for long.

So much misinformation here! There is no starvation mode. Please read The Biology of Human Starvation.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is confusing me, I am 5'5" and my biggest weight was 295, I am down to 249. I don't have all your health issues, I did have a problem with my blood pressure a while back. My doctor never ever ever suggested surgery. I do know two ladies who have had it, they were much larger than you and with lots of health issues. I know they where on a strict calorie intake, but I don't know by how much. I would like that with losing some of your weight you are starting to feel better and your health should be improving or at least I hope so. Have you seen another doctor? I think I would for a 2nd opinion, I do wish you luck and I wish you best of health.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Agreed.
  • heatherandimran
    heatherandimran Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thank you for the advice
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm quite shocked... I'm 1-2 inches shorter than you, and I started at 200 [now 165]. I do not have the health issues, but I'm shocked that they added such a huge change to needing to diet -that hard-. I would get a second opinion, as others have suggested. If they agree with your doctor, no harm done, right?
  • heatherandimran
    Options
    This is confusing me, I am 5'5" and my biggest weight was 295, I am down to 249. I don't have all your health issues, I did have a problem with my blood pressure a while back. My doctor never ever ever suggested surgery. I do know two ladies who have had it, they were much larger than you and with lots of health issues. I know they where on a strict calorie intake, but I don't know by how much. I would like that with losing some of your weight you are starting to feel better and your health should be improving or at least I hope so. Have you seen another doctor? I think I would for a 2nd opinion, I do wish you luck and I wish you best of health.

I am feeling better. Not the greatest amount of energy but not as bad as I thought. They said the ketosis would dampen hunger and it does. The severity of the medical conditions and the family history plays a part in their recommend on surgery or not. My diabetes was not good and my grandmother died early from diabetes complications. My intention is not to do the surgery. My intention is to lose the weight, relearn a healthy relationship with food and then move to a final lower carb higher protein final lifestyle. Dietary consults are part of this program and I will see them in a few weeks. I'm hoping they will also give some guidance. This program is severe yes. But if it works and I don't have surgery it will be worth it.
  • heatherandimran
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I'm quite shocked... I'm 1-2 inches shorter than you, and I started at 200 [now 165]. I do not have the health issues, but I'm shocked that they added such a huge change to needing to diet -that hard-. I would get a second opinion, as others have suggested. If they agree with your doctor, no harm done, right?

You are correct no harm to do it. I will. Thanks
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Low carb is probably causing the lack of energy. Can you up your carbs?

Did they say how long to expect 3 lbs loss a week? You may only be remembering part of the conversation - I do that too.

8 weeks is a long time, and 2.5 lbs a week is still a lot.

Talk to your doctor, and let them know that some knowledgeable MFPers are worried about you.

Could you let us know your stats? Height, weight, age?

That might help people get a better idea of why your doctor put you on a VLCD.

They said to continue this until I'm down 40 and then I won't need surgery. They said expect 3 pounds a week till I reach the goal of 40 pounds. I'm 5 foot 4. I started at 198 but have diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension so I qualified for the program due to those medical conditions. I thought adding carbs would be bad that it would raise hunger but I'm open to suggestions. I'm 43 years old

Thanks for that.

My sympathies for your health problems. I now have an idea why they wanted you to reduce your weight.

Are your diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension seriously bad? Is that why they want you to reduce weight so quickly?

Again, I would not worry too much about "only" losing 2.5 lbs instead of 3.

When do you see the doctor next?
  • Orphia
    Options

I am feeling better. Not the greatest amount of energy but not as bad as I thought. They said the ketosis would dampen hunger and it does. The severity of the medical conditions and the family history plays a part in their recommend on surgery or not. My diabetes was not good and my grandmother died early from diabetes complications. My intention is not to do the surgery. My intention is to lose the weight, relearn a healthy relationship with food and then move to a final lower carb higher protein final lifestyle. Dietary consults are part of this program and I will see them in a few weeks. I'm hoping they will also give some guidance. This program is severe yes. But if it works and I don't have surgery it will be worth it.

Good for you for choosing to lose the weight! I always worry that surgery doesn't teach good habits, and that people will put the weight all back on.

Glad you found MFP. Logging your food is a great habit to get into. Learning to be caloric-aware is knowledge that can keep you at a healthy weight for life.
  • francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    At 600 calories/day, lack of energy is not surprising. Obviously it would be very diffcult to sustain nor would it be advisable for anybody just wishing to lose weight.

However, like the OP said, it has been prescribed by a physician as pre surgery protocol.
    So, as long as it is closely monitored by your doctor, I see no reason to alter it for now.

If you're having issues, please talk to your doctor about any changes in your diet before implementing them.

Any nutritional advice from MFP members may be valid for people simply whishing to lose weight but not in the case of a medical issue.

Good luck to you and I hope you get better !
  • BrianG8
    BrianG8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on the same kind of diet right now. Don't worry your doing fine and don't fire your Dr.
    I'm 47 years old, 5'5" Started 119 days ago at 314 lbs.
    I have High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea. My legs go numb sometimes. Fun stuff.
    I took 1 Blood Pressure Pill and a Fluid Pill in the mornings and 1 BP Pill in the evenings.
    Me and my Dr. decided that a Gastric Bypass might be my only option right now. So this diet is prep.

My meals for the last 119 days have all been at or below 1200 calories, mostly around 900 calories.
    Medically supervised as yours.
    I do have a few cheat days in there also. I love Pizza that's never going to change.
    My Macros on any given day are about like this: Protein 116g - Carbs 40g - Fat 38g - Cholesterol 240mg - Sodium 1965mg - Potassium 1850mg
    My Vitamins I max out because I am directed to take a Multi Vitamin and an additional 1000mcg of B12 for energy.

The results after 119 days are like this.
    My Blood Pressure now stays in the normal range with only 1 pill in the morning and I only take half a fluid pill now.
    My weight is down to 259 lbs. That's a 54.8lb loss. And my sleep apnea is all so much better too.
    I feel good and have plenty of energy, I can now jog for 2 miles and my legs don't hurt.

My Dr. now believes I don't need the Gastric Bypass and I can lose the rest of my weight on my own.
    I believe that too.

So no. Don't fire your Doctor. Stay the course as directed and keep in close contact with your team. This isn't going to be the final diet your on the rest of your life. This is just your beginning. Will you have to watch what you eat the rest of your life? Absolutely.

And to answer your original question. Yes, I believe you can up that fat a bit. :wink:

• heatherandimran
    Options
    BrianG8 wrote: »
    I am on the same kind of diet right now. Don't worry your doing fine and don't fire your Dr.
    I have High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea. My legs go numb sometimes. Fun stuff.
    I took 1 Blood Pressure Pill and a Fluid Pill in the mornings and 1 BP Pill in the evenings.
    Me and my Dr. decided that a Gastric Bypass might be my only option right now. So this diet is prep.

My meals for the last 119 days have all been at or below 1200 calories, mostly around 900 calories.
    I do have a few cheat days in there also. I love Pizza that's never going to change.
    My Macros on any given day are about like this: Protein 116g - Carbs 40g - Fat 38g - Cholesterol 240mg - Sodium 1965mg - Potassium 1850mg
    My Vitamins I max out because I am directed to take a Multi Vitamin and an additional 1000mcg of B12 for energy.

My Blood Pressure now stays in the normal range with only 1 pill in the morning and I only take half a fluid pill now.
    My weight is down to 259 lbs. That's a 54.8lb loss. And my sleep apnea is all so much better too.
    I feel good and have plenty of energy, I can now jog for 2 miles and my legs don't hurt.

My Dr. now believes I don't need the Gastric Bypass and I can lose the rest of my weight on my own.
    I believe that too.

So no. Don't fire your Doctor. Stay the course as directed and keep in close contact with your team. This isn't going to be the final diet your on the rest of your life. This is just your beginning. Will you have to watch what you eat the rest of your life? Absolutely.

And to answer your original question. Yes, I believe you can up that fat a bit. :wink:

Thank you :)
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If your doctor directed you to follow a very low calorie diet you need to ask them for advice. If my doctor told me to eat 650 calories I'd be finding a new doctor.

This is a mandated program that you have to try before you would qualify for a surgical intervention. I'm trying to make the best of it and gain valuable insight from the knowledge members in this forum. My goal is to make this program work by modifying it. And in the end not have a surgical intervention. But thank you anyway.

So if you plan on not having surgery, why are you following the pre-surgery diet?
  • Orphia
    Options
    BrianG8 wrote: »

I believe that too.

Awesome stuff! Very well done! Thanks for your story. Yep, keep going, you know you can do it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would imagine you are close to the limit of length for even a medically supervised VLCD

I think the amount of fat and protein you are consuming is worrisome in terms of saving your LBM...but medical supervision

I would be asking doctor what next?

Hopefully, once your medical conditions are ameliorated, you will move to a sane and maintainable eating plan which will see you continue to lose weight ...probably at least 3x the current calorie allowance...that is where you start to learn

Good luck
  • jesseyboo
    jesseyboo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Low fat AND low cal??? Who told you to do that
  • SuseAndo26
    SuseAndo26 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day!!! :dizzy: Holy cow!!! I'd be biting peoples heads off....and probably eating them as well.

I can't believe you've already been doing this for so long! Absolutely amazing! I honestly don't know how yo
  • SuseAndo26
    Options
    Sorry, the end got cut off.

I honestly don't know how you can function properly?
  • SuseAndo26
    Options
    Again, sorry, that wasn't helpful at all.

I am only concerned that that amount of calorie intake is too low.

I guess your doctor knows what he is doing and congratulations on doing so well for so long.

Can you discuss with your doctor your concerns that you feel your calorie intake is too low and not sustainable and the possibility of upping your calorie intake slightly so you have more energy but still able to continue to lose weight safely and more able to stick with it?