Ladies and HRMs

Options
I have a Polar 800 with a breast strap sensor to measure my heart rate during workouts. Mostly, I use it when biking, hiking and rollerblading. I have one issue, though: especially when rollerblading, when I put my hands behind my back, the chest sensor (which I wear in the center of my torso, just below my breasts, inside my sports bra) loses contact with my skin (I think?) because my watch goes off after a while, saying it lost connection with the sensor. This makes the read-out spotty at best and it is annoying to have to skate with my hands in front of me. Does anyone have any ideas on a different place to strap it or how to circumvent the issue...? I'd be grateful!

Replies

• izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I personally strap mine directly under the bra. It never loses contact and the read seems accurate when compared to manual heartbeat count.

Additionally - do you slightly wet the strap before putting it on? The sensors plates-things (sorry don't know the correct term in English) should be wet in order to stuck to the skin and not move around and lose contact.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    izu87 wrote: »
    I personally strap mine directly under the bra. It never loses contact and the read seems accurate when compared to manual heartbeat count.

Additionally - do you slightly wet the strap before putting it on? The sensors plates-things (sorry don't know the correct term in English) should be wet in order to stuck to the skin and not move around and lose contact.

I attach it to to the same spot. I do wetten it, and then I am sure the sweat keeps it wet after...

Thank you!
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Also, I now remembered that it might be losing contact and so on if either the watch's or the strap's batteries are dying.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options
    izu87 wrote: »
    Also, I now remembered that it might be losing contact and so on if either the watch's or the strap's batteries are dying.

Hum, I should have mentioned that: I replaced both last week.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Buh Bump for contact instead of water and put the strap by my bra. Also make sure the strap is tight so it doesn't slip. I've never had that problem, so I don't know if this is helpful.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Water and KY jelly will give you better contact.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I strap mine just under my bra. Sometimes when the connection is patchy it's because mine needs a good clean. I rinse it after every session but sometimes the bits where the module connects needs a bit more of a scrub.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If the loss of contact is related to a specific position of your arms, you're probably tugging it slightly out of place when you clasp your hands to do the cool skater glide.

For what it's worth, I use a Scosche rhythm+ armband HRM (Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity). I find it much more comfortable than the chest strap, although it won't work underwater. I don't know if that's compatible with Polar, though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I use a Scosche rhythm+ armband HRM (Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity)..

This is what I would recommend as well, although I'm slightly perplexed by the described issue as moving into the posture should improve the connectivity.

• Faithful_Chosen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use Buh Bump for contact instead of water and put the strap by my bra. Also make sure the strap is tight so it doesn't slip. I've never had that problem, so I don't know if this is helpful.
    Water and KY jelly will give you better contact.

I'll look into some jelly for better connectivity! Thanks!
    If the loss of contact is related to a specific position of your arms, you're probably tugging it slightly out of place when you clasp your hands to do the cool skater glide. For what it's worth, I use a Scosche rhythm+ armband HRM (Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity). I find it much more comfortable than the chest strap, although it won't work underwater. I don't know if that's compatible with Polar, though.

That is a good idea! I'll have a look to see if i can figure that out.
    I use a Scosche rhythm+ armband HRM (Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity)..

This is what I would recommend as well, although I'm slightly perplexed by the described issue as moving into the posture should improve the connectivity.

I did some wiggling around this morning and I think the issue is my breastbone. If I stretch my arms back, the sensor rests on the valley of the bone, not on the bone itself, leaving a little gap. Next time I go out I will try to attach it either left or right of the center, on the ribs themselves, and see if that keeps the connectivity stable when I get my arms back.

Thank you all! These are fantastic tips!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I put a little water on the strap before my workout then place it under my bra and it stays pretty secure.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I wet the strap for a full minute before putting it on. I wear it under my sports bra so that it stays in place.