How do I counter a high carb high sugar day?

Options
kpop82
kpop82 Posts: 139 Member
So here's the deal, I generally eat very healthily and work out 5-6 days a week for an hour and a half plus on those days. I totally inadvertently blew THE ROOF off today and most of my day was sugar and carbs, which is pretty abnormal for me. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to help with damage control, and I'm well prepared for feeling awful the next couple days.
Thanks dudes!

Replies

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Consider it done and dusted and move on. No need to dwell on it. Sometimes it's good to refuel the system
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice and raspberry ketones.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    One day is not the issue typically but when one day becomes 10, 365 or 3650 days in a row. :)

The hard part for me was to getting to eat right day after day for a long period of time. It went badly for me but there is a book or more on carb refeed, carb nite out, etc which is what you did.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    Consider it done and dusted and move on. No need to dwell on it. Sometimes it's good to refuel the system
    Agree, tomorrow is a new day, just get back on track, you'll be fine
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just return to your normal habits. One day can't wreck anything. It's one day! Everyone has setbacks. Log it and move along. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

+1

You can't really undo it once it's done. It's just 1 day, it shouldn't do any damage.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What sort of sugar are you talking about anyway? Unless you've got diabetes or insulin resistance, you shouldn't be counting sugars. The sugar that matters for the rest of us is sweets. Those we need to limit to about 6tsp per day maximum so the experts tell us now. I eat even less. If your sugars are the fruit and vegetable type you've got nothing to worry about at all.

If you are find you are eating sweets on a regular basis and binge on them, then you've got a problem and ditching them wholesale is not as hard as it sounds.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's only one question that matters

By how many calories did you go over your weekly calorie defecit?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    What sort of sugar are you talking about anyway? Unless you've got diabetes or insulin resistance, you shouldn't be counting sugars. The sugar that matters for the rest of us is sweets. Those we need to limit to about 6tsp per day maximum so the experts tell us now. I eat even less. If your sugars are the fruit and vegetable type you've got nothing to worry about at all.

If you are find you are eating sweets on a regular basis and binge on them, then you've got a problem and ditching them wholesale is not as hard as it sounds.

You realise the guideline is a generic behavioural obesity prevention one don't you

Eg if you happen to eat 6 tsp sugar directly from the bag of refined white sugar within your calorie defecit you will still lose weight
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Use all those carbs you ate today to kill it at the gym tomorrow.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How much over your calories were you?

I wouldn't even give it a second thought just get back to eating and training right for your goal and don't sweat it. As a cage fighter it won't take you long to burn them off, it's just extra fuel :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Headache tablets, lots of protein and lots of water - the same approach I would take to a booze hangover.

I eat what the hell I like (within calories) but if I have a big sugar day, I often get killer headaches the next day. I don't think sugar is of the devil, but too much of anything and all that. A couple of months ago I had a day where all I ate was condensed milk and chocolate digestive biscuits (while staying within calories!) so I don't judge.

I also get coffee headaches on a 4 or 5 cups a day binge, and a couple of comprals fix that too.

Like a night of booze, you might say never again after a day of sugar, but you probably won't stick to that, which is ok :)
  • kpop82
    kpop82 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Interesting you didnt abnswer any of the relevant questions. How many calories did you exceed maintenance by if any? it doesnt matter its a single day, log it and move on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is all that needs to be said.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Use all those carbs you ate today to kill it at the gym tomorrow.

This. Your glycogen stores are full. Lift some heavy weights
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find that eating sugary treats just makes me crave more sugar. I'm worried about my teeth, too. Avoid trigger foods if necessary. Make sure you are drinking enough water, and eating enough protein, fat, and fiber, that should help you cut back on your sugars.

Since you already ate all the sugars, put them to good use in a workout today:)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sometimes I find that eating sugary treats just makes me crave more sugar. I'm worried about my teeth, too. Avoid trigger foods if necessary. Make sure you are drinking enough water, and eating enough protein, fat, and fiber, that should help you cut back on your sugars.

Since you already ate all the sugars, put them to good use in a workout today:)

I think that's normal, I found eating mainly complex, low glycemic carbs helps with that. If I want a sugary treat I'll eat it right before bed, then brush my teeth and if I get cravings, at least I'll be asleep and won't have to deal with them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, people. It's just sugar.

But I'm sure that having the expectation of feeling awful for days will make for a nice placebo effect.
    d8a99d8ad88577d1dc0d465a6913b7ea.jpg