I need more fiber - supplements?

Options
I need to add more fiber to my macros, I eat a good amount of vegetables but not a lot of carbs. My fiber numbers suffer, so does my BM... Any take fiber supplements, any advice or recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're eating recommended fruit and veg servings, fiber should be well accounted for without supplements. Fiber is in virtually all foods.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I struggle with fibre as well. I take physillium husk powder 4 calories per 4g of fibre if I'm below 20g for the day. The brand I buy is regucol.
  • Hilda0414
    Hilda0414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do some strange things to get my fiber up.....lol....I ordered a bottle of Vita Fiber Syrup ($22) on Amazon. I usually use a tablespoon to make my own "Quest"/protein bars. It is a great prebiotic and 1 T has 27 calories, over 10 grams of fiber, and 12 carbs. I also throw in 1 T chia seeds in my eggs, smoothies, anything. Amazing fiber for 70 calories. Berries, esp blueberries, are also great. Oh, sometimes I make pancakes and since I'm grain free I use 1/4 cup of ground flax, an egg, 1 tsp baking powder and a bit of coconut milk. I aim for a minimum of 35 fiber grams a day and optimally shoot for 50.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds and flax seeds (table spoon of each) every day and a hand full of prunes , fibre will go up appreciably ,
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hilda0414 wrote: »
    I do some strange things to get my fiber up.....lol....I ordered a bottle of Vita Fiber Syrup ($22) on Amazon. I usually use a tablespoon to make my own "Quest"/protein bars. It is a great prebiotic and 1 T has 27 calories, over 10 grams of fiber, and 12 carbs. I also throw in 1 T chia seeds in my eggs, smoothies, anything. Amazing fiber for 70 calories. Berries, esp blueberries, are also great. Oh, sometimes I make pancakes and since I'm grain free I use 1/4 cup of ground flax, an egg, 1 tsp baking powder and a bit of coconut milk. I aim for a minimum of 35 fiber grams a day and optimally shoot for 50.

Do you have a recipe for the 'quest' bars? I'd love to try it
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat 40 g of Fiber One for breakfast each day with some fruit like raspberries or blue berries. Not bad tasting and about 20 g of fiber. With various fruits and vegetables throughout the day generally that gets me to the recommended 30 g of fiber a day.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I go for 5-7 servings of veggies a day which usually get me pretty close. Any of the Fiber One treats (the brownies, English muffins, or bars) are nice to have--tasty, portable, and always push me over my fiber goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I take 2 magnesium capsules a day. Problem solved.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not necessarily low carb, I just tend to eat low carb because I find it more satisfying. I'm guilty of not eating enough fruit but I get plenty of vegetables. Chia might be a great option for me. Thanks again!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine swear by Benefiber.

Raspberries are my favorite high-fiber food. Some breakfast cereals have a good amount. :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This was a timely post to read because I have been working on upping my fiber, too. I thought since I was eating fruits and vegetables that I was getting enough but I recently switched around the macros I track daily (decided I didn't care about sodium) and was pretty surprised. Partly it was the types of fruits and veggies I was eating. In my lowering of calories, I was inadvertenly also lowering my fiber. I got some chia and just tried it for the first time today in my oatmeal and it was fine. I eat plenty of fruit but am making some higher fiber choices like pears if I can get decent ones. I'm also picking back up some higher calorie, higher fiber snacks that I like but had abandoned in the effort to cut calories, like figs and nuts. I'll just move something else around to get the overall calorie count right. The last thing I am going to try is to switch my lunches to include more plant-based proteins, like chick peas and black beans, instead of chicken or turkey. I'm married to a carnivore and we eat supper together so that meal is likely to always include meat but I think I can change my lunches to get both the protein I need and boost the fiber count. Good luck!
  • Hilda0414
    Hilda0414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For my quest bars I usually simply use a T almond butter heated in microwave for abt 10 sec with two T of Vitafiber. Then stir in a scoop of protein powder. Pinterest is full of great recipes with cream cheese, lemon flavoring, mini chocolate chips, etc. I counted and got 52 grams of fiber today without really making an effort. Lol