Any suggestions????

Options
I need to purchase a new scale for the home...my current glass digital scale gave me a different reading 5 times this morning, lol! So.... I didn't record any of the weights.
When I started this a few days ago, I weighed myself at work. I planned on just weighing in at work periodically, but now I think I would rather weigh in everyday at home.
Any suggestions???

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning. Weight fluctuates during the day. I don't suggest weighing yourself on different scales at different times in the day.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well I would suggest you suggest you weigh your self in the morning or consistently at the same time everyday. Depending on salt intake and water retention your weight may vary. I would also advise you get a scale that measures body fat. However weight is just one metric to track fitness - another is how you look, feel, energy levels, and strength. Don't fixate on weight or body fat - they should be looked at holistically. Also fat % on scales tend to be off for those with athletic build or who retain more in their legs. The change in fat % i find to be more helpful - going from 25% to 20%. The difference 5% is what's more important than the overall # IMHO.
  • Yoldle19
    Yoldle19 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Debmal77
  • cbrook29
    Options
    I have a "Biggest Loser" scale - it's okay and records multiple people's profiles but the fat% is off - because I am very lean/athletic build.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Same scale, same time of day, wear approximately the same clothing, weigh ONCE. If possible put the scale on a tile or wood floor (carpet can mess with it big time). I weigh first thing in the a.m. (after I pee).

Then take that number and log if you like HOWEVER, that number may change tomorrow. Scales are like that, they lie! A high sodium meal....I weigh more. Time of month...I weigh more. Sore muscles.....I weigh more. The scale is best for weight loss trends. If you are close to goal use a tape measure also. There may be days (weeks) you lose nothing....but the tape measure says differently.
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    Cool @cbrook29 didn't know there was a biggest loser scale! I forgot all about my tape measure @TeaBea, great idea! Thanks so much for the advice!
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My weight watchers scale of many years (digital and glass) will no longer give me a low battery warning, but the weights get all over the board when the battery starts to go. Just a thought that you may just be needing a new battery :)
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    Thanks @kellycasey5 I did that, and the stinkin thing still won't function properly!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just bought a WW scale at Costco for $20 but I can't decide if I like it or not. It shows me 2 pounds higher than my other scale. Not sure if the older scale is more accurate, or the new one!
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    I know that's a big deal!! I say stick with the new scale @whmscll GOOD LUCK
  • neil11111
    neil11111 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My digital gives me two or three different readings as well. I just go with the lowest one. The comments about tape measures and how your clothes fit are valuable. Don't fixate on weight alone. A high salt or super hot day can cause you to retain up to 5lb of water for two or three days. Drink lots of water to flush off that water weight. Good luck!!!!
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    Thanks @neil11111
  • cbrook29
    Options
    As an alternative you can also use calipers (AMAZON has them really cheap) and do a 7 point measurement . There are tons of online tutorials to teach U how to do it correctly. Again use it as a another point in addition to the scale of you want
  • Yoldle19
    Options
    That's a good idea!