115 or 127 lbs?

Options
Hi!
I know this is a little odd to ask, but I am just curious. I am 5'3" and I used to weigh 115 lbs. I personally was confident, happy, and thin at that weight. Life took me for a ride and now I weigh 127 lbs. Many people have told me that I look better now, that I have curves again, and my face isn't as narrow and sunkin in.

I feel "okay" at 127 lbs. I would like to get back down to 115 lbs, but if people find me more attractive at this weight, then I would almost rather stay... My clothes still fit, minus a few things, so I am not worried about that aspect of it. In other words, I don't "have to" lose the weight--- its just vanity thing.

Multiple men have paid more attention to me, and I can't figure out if its because of where I am locationally in my life, or because of my body...

I don't want this to sound conceited, just looking for advice.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If it's for vanity do what makes you smile in the mirror, and not what others think. Confidence can be just as attractive.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi!
    I know this is a little odd to ask, but I am just curious. I am 5'3" and I used to weigh 115 lbs. I personally was confident, happy, and thin at that weight. Life took me for a ride and now I weigh 127 lbs. Many people have told me that I look better now, that I have curves again, and my face isn't as narrow and sunkin in.

I feel "okay" at 127 lbs. I would like to get back down to 115 lbs, but if people find me more attractive at this weight, then I would almost rather stay... My clothes still fit, minus a few things, so I am not worried about that aspect of it. In other words, I don't "have to" lose the weight--- its just vanity thing.

Multiple men have paid more attention to me, and I can't figure out if its because of where I am locationally in my life, or because of my body...

So, 12 pounds made a difference in how life treated you? That is not a weight issue at all, but more a personal issue that needs to be addressed. For your height, both 115 is underweight, and 127 is not. Weight chart

It's not about whether other people find you attractive at any weight, it's about staying healthy and deciding what weight is right for you within a healthy BMI range.

As for the rest.....LOL.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you healthy?

When you look in the mirror do you like what you see?

Can you strutt what you have?

What makes you believe you should be a specific, lower scale weight?

It's up to you ...I know for myself I like my curves, I like having the kind of build that looks fit and would dislike looking "skinny" so it's not something that would worry me ...but that is the conclusion I came to and does not rely on external validation
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Everyone carries their weight differently. If you are getting other people saying you look better at 127 and men are paying attention why not stay at 127. Sometimes we have a distorted opinion of ourselves. You're not talking that much difference anyway. Coincidentally my best weight I was ever at was 127 pouns.But the bottom line is you have to do what makes you feel good. Just make sure it's for the right reasons. Some women have such a low self esteem they only feel good when they are ultra skinny. You need to ask yourself some serious questions.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hi!

So, 12 pounds made a difference in how life treated you? That is not a weight issue at all, but more a personal issue that needs to be addressed. For your height, both 115 is underweight, and 127 is not. Weight chart

It's not about whether other people find you attractive at any weight, it's about staying healthy and deciding what weight is right for you within a healthy BMI range.

As for the rest.....LOL.

@SLLRunner - At 5'3 115lbs is within the healthy range.

104.5 (18.5 BMI) to 140.5 (24.9 BMI) is the healthy range for someone who is 5' 3". 115 lbs would give her a BMI of 20.4.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Hi!

Scale weight has a lot of factors and you should let your self confidence be ruled by the number on the scale. Do you like what you see in the mirror?
  • fallprincess
    fallprincess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also same height as you. I think 120 pound is best for our height.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options

Don't be daft

There is no correct weight for height ..it depends on frame size, musculature, where you carry weight

The most you can say is you think 120lb is best for you

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

104.5 (18.5 BMI) to 140.5 (24.9 BMI) is the healthy range for someone who is 5' 3". 115 lbs would give her a BMI of 20.4.

Well, i'm only an inch taller than the OP (@ 5.4" and 128 lbs) and if i was at the lower end of the BMI chart i'd look Skeletal!
    The BMI chart is not a good indicator to what a healthy weight should be, as it doesn't account for frame size, muscle mass or ethnicity (which is a big factor).
    A BMI of 20 might look OK on paper, but some people can still look very thin.

• shadow2soul
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

Well, i'm only an inch taller than the OP (@ 5.4" and 128 lbs) and if i was at the lower end of the BMI chart i'd look Skeletal!
    The BMI chart is not a good indicator to what a healthy weight should be, as it doesn't account for frame size, muscle mass or ethnicity (which is a big factor).

She did specifically say that 115 lbs was underweight for 5'3 and to aim for something within the healthy bmi range. I was pointing out that 115 lbs is still within the healthy range.

I won't argue that frame size and body composition will determine what is a good weight for you on the scale. I'm 5'4.5" and I could still lose quite a bit. Do I think I could get down to the lowest? No, but I'm thinking with my frame size I might look okay in the low 120's. However, I know that there are other women out there at my height on the low end of the BMI and look great. There are also women, like @arditarose , that weigh roughly what I do and look 10 x better than me because their frame size/composition is different than mine.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I should also mention, which I didn't think to before until someone mentioned being healthy. My period has returned after years of it being crazy. I have had it every month for the last 8 months and it only hit that consistency with my weight between 120-127.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think everyone should do whatever pleases them, but if what you want is actually unhealthy, then maybe you need to re-think what you want.

Stay at a healthy weight. It would be best to do it because you want to be healthy, but if looking more attractive tips the scale, so be it. Just so long as you are not hurting yourself.

Stay safe.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eh...115 is teenie tiny for 5'4". It's not really necessary. If anything, work on your body composition. I'm 5'4" as well and sitting around 133. I'm aiming for 125/127 and think it will look nice.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Totally up to you. I'm 5'2 and currently 115.5. I'm working toward 110 because I have multiple joint and back issues and the more muscle/less fat I have, the less pain I'm in. If you feel more comfortable and confident at 127, then rock it. If you want to lose a few, do it. Either weight would be healthy for your height.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

115 isn't underweight for 5'3.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I should also mention, which I didn't think to before until someone mentioned being healthy. My period has returned after years of it being crazy. I have had it every month for the last 8 months and it only hit that consistency with my weight between 120-127.
    Then maybe where your at is good for you. The scale just spits out a number. It won't tell you if you're healthy. It doesn't know if your standing on it naked, fully clothed or holding a 20lb bag of dog food.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Well I think that might be pretty conclusive ...don't you?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

She did specifically say that 115 lbs was underweight for 5'3 and to aim for something within the healthy bmi range. I was pointing out that 115 lbs is still within the healthy range.

I won't argue that frame size and body composition will determine what is a good weight for you on the scale. I'm 5'4.5" and I could still lose quite a bit. Do I think I could get down to the lowest? No, but I'm thinking with my frame size I might look okay in the low 120's. However, I know that there are other women out there at my height on the low end of the BMI and look great. There are also women, like @arditarose , that weigh roughly what I do and look 10 x better than me because their frame size/composition is different than mine.

You are correct, I did say that. Corrected, I misread.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Don't be daft

There is no correct weight for height ..it depends on frame size, musculature, where you carry weight

The most you can say is you think 120lb is best for you

That's not quite true. No matter how or where you carry your weight there is a certain range that is considered healthy. I would definitely recommend talking to a doctor about it. If you want to be smaller you could compromise and go for 120.

But seriously. Talk to your doctor. Especially since it's a vanity thing you run the risk of caring more about what you see and what the scale says than what's actually healthy.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Ding! I think you have your answer.