Need diet help - BF got ultimatum from Marines

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Speed of weight loss aside, is 190 even an appropriate goal weight for him?

For 5'10"? As an upper limit? For sure.

For a man, if he is muscular and/or has a large frame, that is kind of thin.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Speed of weight loss aside, is 190 even an appropriate goal weight for him?

For 5'10"? As an upper limit? For sure.

For a man, if he is muscular and/or has a large frame, that is kind of thin.

Sure, there may be the odd outlier. For the vast majority, 190 at that height is quite substantial. Plus excessive muscularity is not a desirable feature in modern soldiers.

Here's what 6'1", 180-ish looks like...3 inches taller, 10 pounds lighter, and certainly not looking particularly "thin"....

Hot-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Pictures.jpg

cr-3.gif
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm about that height and I am VERY thin at 190, as a woman. The OPs husband probably doesn't have 20 pounds of boobs though :)

Those men look like they might have small or medium frames.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Most men have medium frames.

That's how "medium" is defined.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    At 5'10" and 190? To be that and be 20% body fat (very thin), you'd need a lean body mass of 152, which gives a fat free mass index of 21.8 - a typical man's FFMI is 19.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm about that height and I am VERY thin at 190, as a woman. The OPs husband probably doesn't have 20 pounds of boobs though :)

Hmmm.. @5'10 - 190 female - very thin ?? Is that a typo ?

I'm @ 5'8 135lbs female and am not considered very thin.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    At 5'10" and 190? To be that and be 20% body fat (very thin), you'd need a lean body mass of 152, which gives a fat free mass index of 21.8 - a typical man's FFMI is 19.

I'm thinking that had to be a typo for sure lol !
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I feel like this should depend on a lot of factors. My husband is 5'10" and he could never make weight in the army, and at his lowest was 210, which was next to impossible for him to maintain. He's just a really stocky, big boned, muscular guy. However, he could run miles around the other guys and always made tape. So even if his weight looked bad, he could easily prove that he was physically up to the challenge. Idk how it is with the Marines, but more than diet, I think he should focus on fitness, strength, and making tape. If they are really so particular that he has to be 190, then he's probably better off doing something else. My husband said what worked for him the best was at least working out three hours a day (basic training days). Back then he wasn't paying any attention to what he was eating, he just knows he worked out so hard he was always starving.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any suggestions or what would work best between low calorie vs atkins vs whatever else, please let me know.

The most important thing is to start. I would go for Atkins induction for 2 weeks with ~120 g/day of protein 20g of digestible (net) carbs excluding fibre and 90-100g of fats. Get most of the carbs from a variety of veg with low carb content. No fruit or nuts for 2 weeks. No added sugars, no cows milk. Add a couple of grams a day of salt from the outset. May need to moderate the exercise initially, but as it takes sevetral hours exercise for a pound of fat the diet is the priority.

Basically meat, fish, eggs, cheese with vegetables. Nothing lean or low fat or diet required. Add mayo, dressing, butter, cream etc for flavour and fat as rewuired, but savour rather than smother.

Try it and see.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff: He has been addressing it for the past 2 months and joined again last 3 weeks. I don't expect anyone to understand what he has been going though since he has lost both his brother and dad in the last month. He has still been trying and dropped 20 lbs. looking for advice, not snide comments here.

Thanks to those who answered with helpful comments.
    Snide? No mention of his losses of families in the OP and I don't claim to be a mind reader. I questioned it because it's a 30 day quest. The Marines didn't question when he rejoined? That all of a sudden now he has to lose the weight when it could have been addressed before the Marines accepted him back? It just sounds odd that that wasn't the case.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do low carb and was very strict the first month and lost 25 pounds. My husband lost 40 his first Month. We did it with pretty much no exercise. So I think it is technically possible but he will have to be very strict with his carbs. No more then 20 a day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I also find it hard to understand how a person can re-enlist without already meeting the standard criteria.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ninerbuff: He has been addressing it for the past 2 months and joined again last 3 weeks. I don't expect anyone to understand what he has been going though since he has lost both his brother and dad in the last month. He has still been trying and dropped 20 lbs. looking for advice, not snide comments here.

Snide? No mention of his losses of families in the OP and I don't claim to be a mind reader. I questioned it because it's a 30 day quest. The Marines didn't question when he rejoined? That all of a sudden now he has to lose the weight when it could have been addressed before the Marines accepted him back? It just sounds odd that that wasn't the case.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When someone gets out and goes back in, they are required to go through MEPS again to make sure they meet the standards.

The OP and her explanation just get more confusing each time I read it.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When someone gets out and goes back in, they are required to go through MEPS again to make sure they meet the standards.

The OP and her explanation just get more confusing each time I read it.

At this point I'm kinda wondering if some...conversations...are happening on the home front.

This story just doesn't hang together....
  • 5krissy
    5krissy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    45lb's in 30 days? only was i see that happening is to do a 30 day water fast. and even then im not sure he'd loose 45lbs. just not doable.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Hmmm.. @5'10 - 190 female - very thin ?? Is that a typo ?

I'm @ 5'8 135lbs female and am not considered very thin.

For sure. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs and just regular ol' thin. For a woman that height....190 lbs is never gonna be very thin. It might be a little bit of the mind seeing so much lost, etc that warps perception, but I don't know...I'm not the poster.

I do remember the first time I lost weight and got to 175. I thought I looked so svelte. It wasn't until I got down to an actual healthy, trim weight that I really knew what my body was supposed to look like.

Definitely @shell05 , that jumped out at me and I thought it had to be a typo because it just didn't seem right. But your 100% correct that sometimes we see ourselves differently then others do. Body dimorphic people can think they are thin when in reality they are fluffy and vice versa ... Our minds can play tricks on us for sure!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Op maybe come back and clarify . certain parts of the story aren't making sense ( I do understand that sometimes its hard to communicate certain points through writing and would be much easier to explain in person so sometimes these misunderstandings happen online ) so maybe reword your post and then you might receive more helpful input on your situation.
  • bramzan
    bramzan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through all the pages so unsure if anyone has mentioned this but he should look into keto dieting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/mobilebasic?pli=1 if you need more info links let me know :3
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    bramzan wrote: »
    Didn't read through all the pages so unsure if anyone has mentioned this but he should look into keto dieting:

How exactly is keto going to cause someone to lose 1.5 lbs/day?