4 minutes from frozen to steamed salmon

Options
titletown
titletown Posts: 377 Member
Some of you may have tried these already, but if you have not, wow!

ZipLoc makes a disposable steamer bag and I LOVE them.

SO far I've tried broccoli, cauliflower and just this afternoon, frozen salmon fillets and all were fast and fantastic.

4 minutes from frozen, to scrumptious salmon fillets, how can you beat that?

Replies

• windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. We eat a lot of salmon. We'll definitely give it a try. Wild caught Copper River sockeye is $20/lb here in WV. We've reduced our portions to 4 oz. and substitute more veggies. Example in my photos.
  • titletown
    Options
    I love salmon, but yeah, it's a bit pricey compared to most other fish.
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My husband catches salmon so we have plenty. So what do you do with the bags? Do you put them in water? Or put them in a microwave? thanks
  • titletown
    Options
    The bags go right in the microwave, nothing else needed, I seasoned mine with a little mustard after they were done.

There is a handy chart right on each bag that tells you how long to put certain things in the microwave for.

Here is a picture of the bag I use:

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/PublishingImages/Large Images/ZipnSteam_Medium.jpg
  • windybaer
    Options
    My wife finally found the Zip-Loc bags to which you referred . They offer some enticing recipes. Thanks for the tip.
  • titletown
    Options
    No problem.

I did try a frozen chicken breast in them yesterday and it was a bit tough to chew, think I'll make sure and thaw those first and try again.

Any fish or veggie in them works great though.
  • windybaer
    Options
    We tried the zip_loc bags for cod fillets and mushrooms in one bag and cauliflower and broccoli in another, The veggies were great but the fish was watery. But the cod wasn't great before it went into the bag. And it didn't improve. Fresh is the ticket for fish, wherever you find it. It was fast and convenient though. I love it that I could eat all I want of the veggies that I wanted without worrying about calories.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to microwave food in plastic. I've read too many articles about the dangers of leaching. I know plastic bag & container manufacturers claim their products are safe but I haven't seen any scientific data to support their claims. I'll stick the old-fashioned way of steaming. It only takes an extra 5-10 minutes depending on what you're steaming.
  • titletown
    Options
    Hey, if the plastic don't get ya, the mercury in the fish probably wil ;)

I know what you are saying though, I use these if I'm in a pinch for time mostly.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love the steamer bags..they are great for veggies!!