Fitbit shopping

Options
Any advice? Where to get? Just joined today!

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    From what I've heard, the Fitbit Charge HR is going to be the best one for most people. Look at its features and whatnot to see if it meets your needs. I have one but still want smart watch functionality so I wear it and a Pebble on my left arm, which most people would probably not want to do for fear of looking stupid. But besides that it works great for me and i love it.

You can either pay the $150 for it on Amazon or search/wait for some kind of deal. Maybe set up a Deal Alert on slickdeals
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's hard to find any deals on the Fitbit because Fitbit knows they're the current most popular product in activity monitoring.

Note that if you swim, you can't use a Fitbit while swimming. Only Polar can be used to get real-time heart-rate data while swimming. Unlike Fitbit HR, polar requires a chest strap to get heart-rate data.

My sister got a Fitbit HR. I got a polar A300 because I swim. The other thing to consider is how social you expect to be on the product's website--you might want to get what all your friends have; my sister and I can't look at each other's data (I imagine you could open a web-only account without buying a device if this was really important to you).

Fitbit's website has diet tracking functions much like MFP, so if you get a Fitbit you may find you don't use MFP. (This is why I've failed to get my sister to adopt MFP.)

PS: if you are an REI member, though you probably won't get a discount, at least it counts toward your dividend if you buy a Fitbit at REI.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I still use MFP with fitbit ... it syncs just not the actual food items.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i use fitbit charge and polar ft4, I track my steps with fitbit and like the social part of it for motivation but noticed the fitbit gives me crazy burns on things like aerobics, so I got a polar ft4 and I love it!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ChinniP wrote: »
    I still use MFP with fitbit ... it syncs just not the actual food items.

Yeah, this. when you link the accounts fitbit has your "breakfast: x calories" and whatnot.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I went through two fitbit flexes.....the first quit working after 14 months or so and Fitbit customer service sent me a brand new one. It quit working after 8-9 months. I went with a Garmin Vivofit. I love it. Garmin's website isnt as socially friendly as Fitbit's though. I imagine it's because Fitbit is more popular right now.

The Vivofit adapts to your lifestyle and challenges you differently each day. If you make a goal, it sets a new and high goal for you. If you dont make your step goal, it backs your next day's goal down a little. It doesnt need to be recharged every few days (usually when you want it counting most). After months of having it, i almost never take mine off.