Exercise and kids

Options
I can get to the gym but mostly after the hubby gets home from work which is late. I try to go as much as possible. How do you all work out at home with the kids?! My issue is trying to basically balance "life" and make sure I get to the gym or get a good workout in!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and an almost 6 month old. Baby either naps or goes into the jumparoo. The kid watches tv or plays with her toys.

Otherwise, we all go for a walk.

I also have a gym membership that offers free 1 hour babysitting (YMCA).
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, two under 2. I work out in the AM before they wake up. If I wait for naptime or evening I'm too wiped out and excuses abound. I also work and go to school...
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Run with stroller, bodyweight exercises at parks, joining a YMCA w childcare, trading workout time with a friend, xbox workouts at home. Lots of options, these are all things I've done to stay fit w little ones.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? The other day I saw a mom jogging with her 8 or 9 year old son in the park. It was adorable. I also see lots of moms in my neighborhood with jogging strollers.
  • susanasu
    susanasu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband travels a lot and I have a 2 year old and I work. I bought an elliptical for the house a few months ago and use it before my daughter wakes up, nap time on weekends, or after she goes to bed on work nights. I also got a fitbit and go for a walk every day on my lunch hour. She does not sit in the stroller anymore so long walks with her are next to impossible. Weight is finally coming off!
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Kettlebell Kickboxing videos. I just don't want to waste my free time away from kids on working out so I do these videos at home and I love them.
  • GettinItMommy
    GettinItMommy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! I may have to try getting up WAY early.. I'm not a morning person but perhaps I could be?! Hah. Kids are 6 in September and 2. My son is on the autism spectrum so things can be difficult, plus we have a insanely busy schedule with him. He also just got stitches out of his foot from two huge slices and couldn't walk for two weeks. Because of that, he's in physical therapy relearning to walk on that leg/foot. I just don't feel like I've got the energy I used to but I know what I want just have to get that drive back. I appreciate the comments. We used to run ( him on bike, sissy in stroller ) but that'll have to wait until he's better!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children ages 5, 3 and 2, divorced and work a FT job. I work out in the mornings before work (5:30am) two days a week on my home treadmill or after they go to bed the other days (9pm). My middle child has autism so I can relate (he's almost 4yo). I tell myself if I can find the time to watch my favorite TV shows I can find time to work out at least 30 minutes each night. Sending a friends request.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see by your last post that you have a few difficult circumstances to work around. Hope your son heals soon!

I was going to say that it's important for kids to learn how to keep themselves busy and give you time to do something without them demanding your full attention. Autism does make that a bit tricky, but I do think it's still important.

I'd just do what you can right now and then when your son heals get back out and be active together. I would think that would help keep him busy. Just an idea: when my son was young I would walk laps at the high school track and they had a sand pit for long jumping. I'd bring him a few toys to play in the sand while I walked and I could see him at all times.

Love the color of your hair, btw!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week for about 30 minutes. I don't find it hard to fit 30 minutes into my day. I often exercise after dinner.
    I walk or do workout dvd's or videos on you tube usually.
    My dd sometimes exercises with me. We have some Just Dance video games that dd likes to do with me.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a 3.5 year old and an almost 2 year old at home with me. I exercise every day before my husband gets home from work. My youngest still naps, so when she goes down, I set up my youngest with a movie (he won't nap and is too noisy for "quiet time" with books, but still needs to relax in the pm). That's when I get my workout in. I also travel everywhere by bike with the kids in a bike trailer.

When I worked full time, I would commute by bike, go for a run during my lunch break or wake up before everyone else to workout uninterrupted (either workout dvd's, kettlebells, youtube, or spin bike with the tv on).
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When my kids were small we'd dance. I'd put on some favorite tunes and we would all shake our booty. Often they would stop but I'd just change the music to another song and they'd get back at it. As long as I kept moving, it worked. 5 or six songs and you could get in a good 20 minutes, which if you are struggling to find time with little ones, is still a good 20 minutes.

I probably looked absolutely ridiculous but my kids didn't care and were having fun too.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My kids have learned to love their scooters. So, I walk and they can ride their scooters. I see you have additional challenges but when your son's foot is better that might be something to try. I like the scooters because they aren't quite as fast as they are on their bikes - I don't let them get to far ahead of me, so they have to turn around and come back to me and then turn around again.
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and 5 year old. Going to the gym is not always an option and I hate the gym. But I love fitness blender workouts on YouTube. I put a movie on for the kids and I do a 15 min to 45 min exercise right in my living room depending on their attention span. Sometimes they try to do it with me which slows me down but still better than nothing. I also take them outside everyday. They ride their bikes or scooters and I walk or chase behind them.