How can i eat healthy for cheap?

Options
Its so expensive to keep healthy food constantly in the house. I don't where i should buy so many of these healthy foods i see on instagram and pinterest. Help?!?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    But food in bulk. Especially stuff that has a shelf life. Things I buy in bulk at Costco:

cases of canned beans and tomatoes
    Oatmeal
    Nuts
    Protein powder
    Salsa
    Frozen meat (Fish, chicken, beef)
    Frozen vegetables
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. I've saved some by couponing, using an app to get $$ back & taking any free excess people have from their gardens.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rice + lentils.

Complete proteins, super nutritioius, and about as cheap as food gets.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Also...
    - Dried beans and lentils (cook in crockpot with water, broth and/or seasonings)
    - Tuna or canned chicken
    - Greek yogurt can be frozen into smaller portions
    - Most fresh veggies can be cooked then frozen when past their prime
    - dried whole grains can be mixed with cheaper rice
    - Cook a big batch of soup with all your leftovers from above and freeze into smaller portions

Hope this helps!
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is usually the cheapest food on the shelves. If it is not frozen then the shop will want to sell it quickly. It is the popular brands that are now blamed for weight gains and when you buy them you are also paying for their advertising budget - so go for the independent suppliers. The cheapest meat cuts are the best for us, just take a bit of careful cooking.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's much more expensive to buy the packaged stuff.

Buy cheaper meat cuts and learn how to cook them so they come out tender and tasty. Buy meat when it goes on sale and freeze.

Frozen fruits and veggies are pretty cheap.

Remember to bring a calculator if you aren't good at math because the stores try to confuse you on prices. Don't assume the generic is cheaper - not always the case.

Invest in some spices. They're not cheap up-front, but most will last about a year, so you can really change the flavor of foods, like "101 ways to make chicken," etc.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Produce shops. Depending upon where you live, of course. And sometimes, farmers markets. Today I spent $12 on a lot of produce and out of curiosity, I calculated how much the same amounts/varieties would have cost me in the grocery store. The store (barring any "specials," just typical prices) would have cost about $40.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Check the wednesday ads. I never buy meat or produce that isn't on sale if I can help it. I have never spent more than $1 on an avocado. There are deals every week.

My methods are a bit abstract, as my meals are not on pintrest or whatever. But that's the best I can offer ya. That, and buy foods that are sustainable. Read the ingredients label...you will find hidden deals in the food you buy if you analyze the ingredients. Sometimes, that good stuff goes on sale.

If you do a little math and keep track of the data, you will realize that it actually is possible to inexpensively eat right. You just have to put in the work.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Remember to bring a calculator if you aren't good at math because the stores try to confuse you on prices. Don't assume the generic is cheaper - not always the case.

Always look at the "price per ounce." That is the tiny number under the package price. That is the store's full disclosure, but you have to be looking for it to see it.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    Oh..buy your meat in the early morning hours. That is when they price cut meat that they need to move.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Always look at the "price per ounce." That is the tiny number under the package price. That is the store's full disclosure, but you have to be looking for it to see it.
    They routinely price one item by ounce and another by gram or pound, etc. They do this to confuse people. All the time.

If you look really closely at those little labels, you'll see that they using different amounts. They change the labels up all the time, too.

It's especially common for them to price things differently when the store brand is more expensive than the name brand. This happens with the frozen fruits a lot. Dole is sometimes cheaper.

If people are really interested in trying to buy the cheaper strawberries (or whatever) and they aren't good at math, it is a good idea to bring a calculator. :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Forget pintrest and instagram. You don't need chia seeds and whatever to be healthy. They're fun if you can afford it but it's not necessary. Look at nutritional value. Healthy meals don't have to be fancy.

Vegetables, eggs, grains, legumes are cheap especially if you get dried rather than tinned, cheaper cuts of meat are excellent in a slow cooker. Work out the cheapest time/day to buy things like vegies and meat. Cut coupons.The supermarket I go to has a table of 'reject' vegetables - there's nothing wrong with them, just oddly shaped/too small etc. I always go there first - they're often 1/2 price and great for making soups with. And don't waste food! I do a weekly plan of the meals we're going to cook, where we'll eat leftovers etc. Then I only buy what we need, there's no food that goes off sitting in the fridge waiting to be used.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I forgot to mention dried beans and peas. Very cheap. :)
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and vegetables (I'd avoid canned when possible because of added sugar/sodium). Bags of rice and beans rather than smaller pre-packaged servings. Large tubs of yogurt which can be portioned out into smaller containers at home. Your local farmers' market for fresh produce, and for whole-grain bread as most have stands for baked goods.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk and the freezer is awesome. When fish is on sale, I stock up and freeze it, I'll freeze certain veggies, etc. I also keep a ton of healthy grains on hand that I buy in bulk (quinoa, brown rice, farro, etc) And I buy fruits / veggies according to whats on sale
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Start a garden if you can. I have a plot in a neighborhood community garden. Haven't had to buy greens for 4 months. Soon I'll have enough tomatoes and root vegetables to last another 4 months!
    Buy produce in season, buy bulk when a good price and freeze. (eg blueberries, raspberries)
    Soups are generally really cheap meals to make, and can use substandard produce
    If you like eggs- Cheap, healthy protein and quick to make.