I should be happy but it drives me nuts!!

bmchenry02
bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
ok so I'm 5'8" 128 holding steady. I realize on paper that's thin and I'm not aiming to lose any weight just fat as I build muscle. I'm currently in week 2 of Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.

Every time I'm around my family (no one is heavy) I get the "skinny" comments and they try to continually feed me. We went out for pizza last night and I ordered a Greek salad to share with my hubby knowing 2 pieces of pizza wouldn't necessarily keep me full (based on the size we got to share with the kids.). So the salad arrives and I get questioned like it's all I'm going to eat. IT WAS HUGE and after both me and my hubby ate a plateful the bowl gets passed back to me to eat more (not from hubby!). I had to plead my case that I'm eating enough....to the people who didn't order extra food!!!!

When it comes time for family pictures I'm the talk of the evening for being the skinny one.

I realize this may sound stupid to someone who wants to lose weight but I don't want to be treated like I'm malnourished rather that I eat sensibly and have muscle to show!

Rant over. Hopefully someone can relate. I want the phrase you're skinny to be replaced with "damn, she's fit!" So I keep pressing on!

Edited to add: I don't have many modest full body shots but there's some from my workout clips on my Instagram page-same username, Minus the numbers. Is that ok to share? Don't spam me!

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    People and their opinions... So much fun, right?

My coworkers are like this. I just say, "brace yourself, I'm not done yet!"

I don't really know how to deal with it other than changing the subject or ignoring them. Hope it gets better for you :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I hear you. at 5'8" and maintaining between 125 and 135, plus adopting as healthy a nutrition plan as I can, it gets old. It's not like I watch what others eat and comment on it.
  • cootason
    cootason Posts: 59 Member
    Keep doing your thing, family and friends do this all the times it gets to me too at times, though not exactly in the same case as you I am actually on the weight loss journey but when I am following a strict diet I am offered foods that are not on my list or made fun of for doing whats right for me. you learn to ignore it eventually or eat alone it gets frustrating and down right annoying.
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    ok so I'm 5'8" 128 holding steady. I realize on paper that's thin and I'm not aiming to lose any weight just fat as I build muscle. I'm currently in week 2 of Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.

Every time I'm around my family (no one is heavy) I get the "skinny" comments and they try to continually feed me. We went out for pizza last night and I ordered a Greek salad to share with my hubby knowing 2 pieces of pizza wouldn't necessarily keep me full (based on the size we got to share with the kids.). So the salad arrives and I get questioned like it's all I'm going to eat. IT WAS HUGE and after both me and my hubby ate a plateful the bowl gets passed back to me to eat more (not from hubby!). I had to plead my case that I'm eating enough....to the people who didn't order extra food!!!!

When it comes time for family pictures I'm the talk of the evening for being the skinny one.

I realize this may sound stupid to someone who wants to lose weight but I don't want to be treated like I'm malnourished rather that I eat sensibly and have muscle to show!

Rant over. Hopefully someone can relate. I want the phrase you're skinny to be replaced with "damn, she's fit!" So I keep pressing on!

Edited to add: I don't have many modest full body shots but there's some from my workout clips on my Instagram page-same username, Minus the numbers. Is that ok to share? Don't spam me!

My mom has the same issue. She's the complete opposite of me being 5'1 and 116 lbs. She absolutely hates being called skinny. Observing how it makes her feel, it seems to me it's the same as calling a person such as myself fat.
    Try to ignore it the best you can. You look fabulous. A lot of times I think people make a spectacle of things because they are unhappy with themselves!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    My aunt is currently trying to convince my family that I'm anorexic. She however did the same thing when my mom lost weight (which she gained back, because she listened to my aunt). I've been hearing it constantly since I got my weight under 200 lbs (I'm 5'4.5" and 132/133 right now) and anyone who has seen my food log would know that I eat all the foodz. My aunt however has decided I must be lying about my food log and that my goal to lose fat and gain muscle (which would make me smaller in size) is completely unhealthy.

And this is how I feel everytime she starts talking about it:
    giphy.gif

Oh and for a bit more background. She is obese and has been for awhile. Says she want's to lose weight but is always making excuses for why she can't. She will also make nasty comments if your obese and need to lose weight. She's just one of those people.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    I think some people who have issues of their own with weight just can't STAND to see someone else with dedication, willpower and who is successful and will deliberately sabotage their efforts, either by making remarks or by shoving a plate of food at you. It's far more to do with their insecurities than with you: unfortunately, you're the one who has to take the high road and politely decline/stave off their comments. I used to get this a lot when I was thinner/more fit and unfortunately, I never could show any dignity :p , I would just get irritable and everyone--myself included--would get huffy. I never could practice what I preach even when I knew it had less do with the skinny person and more to do with the other person.
  • xBabyLlamaDrama
    xBabyLlamaDrama Posts: 53 Member
    My aunt is currently trying to convince my family that I'm anorexic. She however did the same thing when my mom lost weight (which she gained back, because she listened to my aunt). I've been hearing it constantly since I got my weight under 200 lbs (I'm 5'4.5" and 132/133 right now) and anyone who has seen my food log would know that I eat all the foodz. My aunt however has decided I must be lying about my food log and that my goal to lose fat and gain muscle (which would make me smaller in size) is completely unhealthy.

giphy.gif

Oh and for a bit more background. She is obese and has been for awhile. Says she want's to lose weight but is always making excuses for why she can't. She will also make nasty comments if your obese and need to lose weight. She's just one of those people.

You should print off a BMI chart to show where you are in medical standards. If she argues, then let her know she's arguing science with opinion and good luck.
  • jetobukur
    jetobukur Posts: 22 Member

giphy.gif

That really sucks. I would personally either ignore anything she sais or tell her she's right and that I'm anorexic and make up stories about how I have to drink diet water sometimes as it will bring me over my 200 Cal per day limit. Give it a shot. Maybe it will shut her up ;)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Here is your script for the next time this happens:
    "My weight is not up for discussion. May we please talk about interesting things, now?"

If they persist, here is what you say:
    "I've made it clear that I do not wish to discuss my weight. If we can't think of anything else to talk about, I'll have to leave because this makes me uncomfortable."

If they persist, follow through and leave. They will either stop talking or at least you won't be there to hear it. Or you could go around the table and ask everyone if their genitals are larger or smaller than average. Oh they don't like inappropriately personal questions?? Surprise surprise.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    "My weight is not up for discussion. May we please talk about interesting things, now?"

"I've made it clear that I do not wish to discuss my weight. If we can't think of anything else to talk about, I'll have to leave because this makes me uncomfortable."

If they persist, follow through and leave. They will either stop talking or at least you won't be there to hear it. Or you could go around the table and ask everyone if their genitals are larger or smaller than average. Oh they don't like inappropriately personal questions?? Surprise surprise.

I gotta remember that genital thing.

• Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member

I gotta remember that genital thing.

It's extraordinary just how many people don't want their privates discussed at dinner.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member

I don't really know how to deal with it other than changing the subject or ignoring them. Hope it gets better for you :)

Best comeback ever.

• bmchenry02

Wonderful! Love this.
  • bmchenry02

giphy.gif

I feel that way inside. Major eye roll!! Lol.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I got this kind of crap when I was lean-even though I was very fit. Until I wore a tank top and pointed the guns at anyone who looked sideways at me-that seemed to help. The comments about being jacked, etc were just as annoying sometimes.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    I feel your pain, I am 6' and 150lbs. and hear it all the time. I usually counter with, "But I feel in the best shape of my life and my doctor raves that she counts it a good day when she sees one patient a day in my condition (which is true)." I love that mug in your profile pic btw, long live the minions!
  • bmchenry02
    I feel your pain, I am 6' and 150lbs. and hear it all the time. I usually counter with, "But I feel in the best shape of my life and my doctor raves that she counts it a good day when she sees one patient a day in my condition (which is true)." I love that mug in your profile pic btw, long live the minions!

So true! I was recently at the hospital for minor "surgery" and 4 different nurses took my BP and asked if I was a marathon runner because it was 100/60 or a touch lower. Nope!! Just been working my butt off...not literally...I'm trying to build a butt! Lol.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    bmchenry02 wrote: »

So true! I was recently at the hospital for minor "surgery" and 4 different nurses took my BP and asked if I was a marathon runner because it was 100/60 or a touch lower. Nope!! Just been working my butt off...not literally...I'm trying to build a butt! Lol.

Perfect proof! And except for routine exams required for work I have not had to see the doctor for years and at 57 I think that rocks! So I let the relatives wring their hands and simply chuckle.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Yes, I hear you. It's a bit disconcerting when you're busting your butt exercising and monitoring your calories only to be accused of being "too thin." I eat more now that I have in years! I'm no waif, I have muscles, dammit!