How much water should I be drinking?

Options
I have a goal to lose a significant amount of weight and to get fit. I regularly go running and do cardio exercises at home. My diet is going well, but I am a bit confused about hiw much water I should be drinking each day?
I have heard scare stories that it is possible to consume too much water and that doing so may have an adverse affect on one's blood cells? I am sure I'm not drinking a dangerous amount of water, but can anyone tell me how much is safe? And how much I should aim to consume on a daily basis? Thanks.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just trust your thirst. Unless you have some physical or psychological issue that affects your sense of thirst, you can trust it to keep you hydrated.

No counting, measuring, forcing or pee-checking needed.

People make this water thing much harder than it is.

Drink when you're thirsty. That's it.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If your pee is completely clear, you can drink a little less.

If your pee is dark or bright, drink a little more.

If your pee is a very light pale color, not completely colorless but almost -- that's the right amount for you.
  • kldunn1991
    kldunn1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to go for one bottle (750ml) before lunch time, another one after... maybe a glass with dinner - but not after 10pm, unless you fancy night trips to the loo. Which I don't cos, ya know, monsters.

Definately don't force yourself to drink loads, people say it helps you lose weight but only cos you'll be spending so much time on the loo you won't have time to eat!
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 64oz a day.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    If your pee is completely clear, you can drink a little less.

If your pee is dark or bright, drink a little more.

If your pee is a very light pale color, not completely colorless but almost -- that's the right amount for you.

This is absolutely right!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I go by pee, sometimes it's freaking sunny yellow coloured,others it's kinda dark hay O.o
    So,like I drink the whole sports bottle at gym,that's easy, I try to drink the whole blue bottle one,that's 750 mls + 660x2 kinda haha,I've had problems with my kidney so I do try to actively drink more cos I easily forget or keep posponing it u.u
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    8414092_f520.jpg
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You have to drink gallons in a very short period of time to be drinking too much. Drinking a large glass before meals does help some people to feel fuller quicker and thus eat less. Drinking more after high sodium meals can flush salt from your system, salt can sometimes cause people retain water weight. Water is not a magic weight loss tool. Thirst is a usually a great way to gauge if you intake is adequate. If I am out in the heat and exercising for longer than 30 minutes, I take water with me to re-hydrate during the workout.
  • Runningman38
    Runningman38 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for replying. I'll definitely be following all your advice. :-)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to lose a significant amount of weight and to get fit. I regularly go running and do cardio exercises at home. My diet is going well, but I am a bit confused about hiw much water I should be drinking each day?
    I have heard scare stories that it is possible to consume too much water and that doing so may have an adverse affect on one's blood cells? I am sure I'm not drinking a dangerous amount of water, but can anyone tell me how much is safe? And how much I should aim to consume on a daily basis? Thanks.

Several years ago i had a massive (13×5mm) kidney stone. I was drinking 64oz a day, and my urologist found that i was still chronically dehydrated. A good guide is to take your body weight (in pounds ) divide by 2. That is the number of ounces you should aim for daily. My urologist did a bunch of tests, and this method proved correct for me.

187÷2= 93.5

I drink out of a 32oz water bottle, so my daily goal is 3 water bottles. I am pretty well hydrated if I get 2 in me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you are also getting fluids from your food and other beverages. Everything counts (well, you are not supposed to count alcohol, but everything else). For most people, not drinking enough can cause more issues than drinking more than you need so, if in doubt, have another glass . . . especially in warm weather. I does take a lot of water, or a medical issue, to get hyponatremia.