Weight Watchers or My Fitness Pal?

Options
2»

Replies

• JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on WW years ago and I do believe it works. I attended meetings (didn't do the online only thing) and that really helped me. That being said, like an earlier poster said - I got tired of paying the high monthly fees. I have only been on MFP for a few weeks, but I love the vibe here. I think the food database is strong and it's easy to input your own recipes.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I will not pay someone else for my weight loss it's as simple as that for me.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Was successful in the past with both. Something has to change. I have gained ten pounds the past few months. Thougts, suggestions?

Tried Weight Watchers. Gained weight. Lost money.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight with WW initially, but used MFP for maintenance as I found the women at my meeting really bitchy and unsupportive (some of them had been going for years and lost nothing and were just really rude). I prefer MFP. And it's free. Just a no brainer for me!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I actually got really mad when I signed up for WW Online, because it's the SAME FREAKING THING as MFP, except they didn't have as many food items cataloged as MFP did.

I suppose if I actually went to meetings and whatnot I'd have been more satisfied with it, but as far as tracking calories, I could have accomplished the same thing on MFP for free. >_>
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had initially started with WW but I really hated the meetings. The meetings I went to were more a *kitten* session for all the stay-at-home mommies, which was an enormous turn-off. I've lost more weight here than I did with WW, and can't beat the price.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Was successful in the past with both. Something has to change. I have gained ten pounds the past few months. Thougts, suggestions?

As someone who has done 5 rounds of WW, I like MFP much better. I feel like I'm learning how to eat better instead of using their system and their points. I can just read the box with no calculator and boom!

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A guy here at work is on WW. Been at it for a few months and hasnt lost a thing. We talk and he tells me about how he went over his points but has points for the rest of the week, etc etc. I told him why not just use the accepted standard for measuring energy expenditure and intake. Calories. Why pay someone for the same thing you can do. All food labels use calories not point and costs you nothing. He is stubborn and insists WW is fine and paying is fine. Hasnt lost anything. Not learning anything about a proper diet and nutrition just points.

• FairyDandy
    FairyDandy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 stone with WW but fell back into bad habits and have put it all back on. I did try doing WW again but failed totally getting my head round the ProPoints system and couldn't stick to it. I am now trying MFP as I want to be able to go into restaurants who display calorie information and not have to get a calculator out to figure out what I can have :smiley:.

You need to do what's best for you, both work and it is a sensible eating regime but personally I am now after something more applicable in the real world.

(plus they stopped putting points values in their recipe books which I thought was so rude as it made them totally useless to me)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have never, and will never, do WW. Because I have known many people in my life who have, and either they (a) don't lose weight or (b) lose weight then gain it all back again. One lady I know is bragging that she's going back to WW for the fifth time. I told her about MFP and she said it wouldn't work for her because she needs that once a week meeting to weigh in front of people. Huh?
  • BradandLibby
    BradandLibby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used WW off and on for the past 20 years. I went to meetings, used on-line only, went solo, went with friends, tried at-work, and nothing stuck. I don't even want to think about how much of my money WW has. Can you say second home? (That's an exaggeration.) But I was swayed by the proclamations that using WW was the best of the diet plans. I hated going to the meetings, but I thought it was just an evil necessity to lose weight. What I remember was being so hungry all the time when I was actually doing the plan. I would be successful for six weeks, then I would stop going to meetings or tracking on line. Like many of us, I blamed it on my metabolism.

I only started MFP a couple of months ago, but the mind set difference is incredible. And I've lost more weight than at any time I was with WW. Oh, CICO, yeah, that makes complete sense. I know WW uses the same concept, but it's not presented that way. When I would hear that people lose on average .5 - 2 pounds a week, I would always hope that I would be that person who loses the 2 pounds per week. It never occurred to me that it wasn't just luck.

Why did it take me so long to realize that for the most part I can control the rate of weight loss? And that my option didn't have to be eating only 1200 calories a day? That I can eat 1700 calories (for right now), be satiated, and still lose weight. And that exercise isn't necessary, but it sure makes it easier. It's so simple (yet hard): CICO. And it's taken me 20 years to figure it out. Doh! But I know now. And I will never go back to WW, but I don't think it's bad at all, just not for me.

• happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have never, and will never, do WW. Because I have known many people in my life who have, and either they (a) don't lose weight or (b) lose weight then gain it all back again.

People lose and gain back weight with MyFitnessPal and other diets too. That's not just a Weight Watchers thing.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have never, and will never, do WW. Because I have known many people in my life who have, and either they (a) don't lose weight or (b) lose weight then gain it all back again.

People lose and gain back weight with MyFitnessPal and other diets too. That's not just a Weight Watchers thing.

Difference between WW and MFP is the money spent on the program.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I would much prefer MFP. It's free and I have a lot more freedom in what I eat instead of having to follow their point system. However, if the point system is easier for you, then there's nothing wrong with WW. The key is to pick whichever one will be the most sustainable for you long term. Because remember, this isn't a 'diet' you're going on, you're aiming to change your eating habits for the rest of your life. And personally, there's not any of the WW food I'd be willing to eat for the rest of my life!
  • susiederkins21
    susiederkins21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have done WW online and in my opinion MFP is easier to use and gives me a better understanding of what I put in my body and the relationship between exercise and my calorie goals. And it's FREE. And the people are supportive! And MFP doesn't have its own line of processed food that it wants me to buy. It's just better in every way.