Correct Calories burned?

Options
Hello all! I've started a new job as an archaeologist and am digging outside with a shovel and 16 lb steel bar for roughly 8 hours. I wore my Polar FT4 chest strap/heart rate monitor yesterday and in the 2 hours & 45 mins of digging, my HRM said I burned 1400 kcals. Is that really possible do you think? My Stats are listed below. Thank you for your help!!

Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'4" or 164 cm

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No.

I wouldn't really bother logging that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    s that really possible do you think?

No

HR is not a reliable indicator of calorie expenditure for the type of activity that you're describing.

• SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was unsure. Perhaps it's more realistic then to burn that many calories in an 8 hour workday.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Fitbit HR and my daily burns seem very accurate after wearing it for 4 days, maybe look into that?
  • kaiwooglin
    kaiwooglin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    May want to change the setting on your hrm to an option more reasonably in line with the activities. I.e. yard work ( if it has that setting )
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Actually that is very possible. Digging is a very active, activity and can easily burn that many calories. My husband works construction and even long days of JUST driving, he easily burns that many calories. Each person is different as well. People like me don't burn calories quickly or easily, people like my mom do. People told me kettlebells burn tons of calories, sadly for me, not so much. Having a calorie tracker shows you just how much your daily movements affect your calorie burn. I use the Fitbit Charge and seeing what I really burn each day has helped me so much with my weight loss and my husbands. Hope this helps! Congrats on the new awesome job!
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also I wanted to add that a few weeks ago I did some gardening. Pulling weeds, roots, vines and digging and I burn over 600 calories in one hour.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Also I wanted to add that a few weeks ago I did some gardening. Pulling weeds, roots, vines and digging and I burn over 600 calories in one hour.

Why do you think you burned 600 calories doing that?