Do you log cooking and cleaning...

Options
13»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    dwalt15110 wrote: »
    So, if you get up, eat breakfast, drive to work, sit at your desk all day, go to the gym and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, get in your car, come home, eat, and go to sleep, you feel good about logging your calories burned, even though you did nothing else all day. Wouldn't those calories just be built in too? Isn't that double dipping? Just asking.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I would put in the treadmill time (intentional exercise). Your daily activity setting should account for the rest of your activities, including cleaning. You describe a sedentary person. If this person cleaned houses for a living, I would suggest a higher setting. Either way, I would not log cleaning, garden maintenance, cooking, or anything else like that.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I log every activity. Not in order to consume more calories (as mfp greatly overestimates) but to keep track of how active I am.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job during the week. On weekend I do 4 or 5 hours a day of chores or extra activity. I usually log it as 3 hours.
    I have my setting as sedentry.
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    knjzarfgo
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Having a fitness tracker was an eye opener for me. I had my activity set at sedentary and then logged most activity including the sort of vigorous cleaning that involves some effort. However, my tracker showed that I have to get quite a lot of work in to get past the sedentary calorie limit and actually start adding exercise calories. So now I wouldn't log housework unless I guess it was one of those whole day moving furniture around sort of cleaning events.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Like you OP I'm sedentary (have a desk job 4 days pw for 6 hrs each day). But the rest of the time I would probably be lightly active. I don't change my settings for those days and I don't log 'normal' housework/activity. I don't have a fitness tracker other than my iphone steps, so I might get a bit of extra credit there. But I just figure unless I'm really breaking a sweat it's just 'bonus activity'. I do log actual conscious exercise like gym/running/swimming etc. But not housework/gardening.
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ElisaJtsu wrote: »
    I log every activity. Not in order to consume more calories (as mfp greatly overestimates) but to keep track of how active I am.
    i was too just to see what a normal day is like not counting intentional exercise , but i only count extras now

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a desk job...8 hours a day. I still don't log cooking and cleaning...ever. I don't care what I am doing.

The only thing that gets logged under my exercise tab is actual exercise...no lawn mowing, even tho it's a push mower and takes 48 mins...getting wood in for the winter, tending my gardens...It does however get me way past sedentary...

And I feel if you do you are just cheating yourself...