Snacks for work??

Options
Battarach
Battarach Posts: 1 Member
I'm too busy/poor to make myself lunches for work and I work usually 7-9 hours a day so I need to eat at work. I work at McDonald's so it's easy and convenient for me to eat their food, but I don't want to anymore!!
What are some ideas on easy/cheap meals or snacks I could take with me?

I'm also quitting smoking so I crave sugar ALOT.

Replies

• pthornsbearry
    pthornsbearry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whipped yogurt is good at100 calories,and special k as chocolate drizzled popped delights at 60 calories per pack.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A sandwich takes 5 mins to make - get up 5 mins earlier!!
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you can eat their food for free, take some of their lettuce/veggies and bring a small tupperware of your own salad add-ons (grilled chicken breast, tomatoes, a healthy dressing!!...whatever they don't have that you want).
    Special K has a lot of low-cal snack options that should satisfy your sweet craving. Another option is to bring fruit (or take some of McD's apple slices. You know, the ones for Happy Meals?) or some nuts!
    I also love Quest bars!! They have great flavors like cookies & cream and cookie dough and are filling and full of protein.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I work 9 hours a day and have a 1 year old and still am able to make time to make my lunches/snacks! It's an excuse, You can do it!
    I make a combo of greek yogurt, granola (I like the hidden valley protein one), and fresh berries (or frozen!) that is delicious. Otherwise I have veggies, fruit, cheese string, clean eating granola bars, quest bars for snacks.

For lunches I make a big batch of something that is easy to freeze. I've made pulled pork, zucchini lasagna, chili, lemon chicken orzo soup, etc.
    Last night I made buffalo chicken with quinoa and grilled broccoli. Didn't take that long and now I'm set for the next few days!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Do you have time the night before to prepack your lunch? This is what I do to prevent some rushing around in the morning.

Some of the foods I take on occasion:
    Grapes
    wheat thins
    Apple
    Popcorn
    Cheese
    Beef Jerky
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils and rice are good and cheap
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sandwiches are easy and quick to make
    greek yogurt
    fruit, veggies
    eat half of their salads
    think things high in protein and high in fiber
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I only get to eat 1550 calories a day. For breakfast I eat half a peanut butter sandwich, and the other half for lunch. For snacks I have two pieces of fruit, usually an apple and a pear.

That said, McDonald's has plenty of food that you can eat and maintain a calorie deficit. A standard hamburger is only 240 calories. This is less than my half a peanut butter sandwich.

Their grilled chicken sandwich is only 360 calories. Their salads range from 270 calories to 450 or so.

Their fruit and yogurt is 150 calories.

If you get free food from McDonald's, there are certainly foods you can eat and maintain a deficit. You're just not going to be able to eat "the good stuff". But such is dieting.
  • Gym_Guy33
    Gym_Guy33 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to work at McDonald's myself from when I was 15 until I was 22..I used to take advantage of the free food and payed the price. But like said before there are some pros to working there. Just taking advantage of the healthy items.

Secondly, if you have the time to prep meals/snack the night before it so handy. Thags what I typically do and makes my days go super smooth. Plus I don't worry about not packing or purposely forgetting it so I can go have cheat meal during the week. I just encourage you to continue living in the healthy lifestyle...not for others, but for YOURSELF