What is a good HRM

Katherine1687
Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting a Heart Rate Monitor but don't know much about them.

Are there any 'must have' features. What is a good model that doesn't cost the Earth?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Luv Kat

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    I use the Polar FT4, it cost me around £70, but I've seen it cheaper since I bought it. The basic rule of thumb is that a HRM with a chest strap will be more accurate than one without. AFter that, it all depends what functions you want on it.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    I agree, I use the Polar FT4 as well and I just love it !!! I paid about 70 as well on Amazon. It is money well spent in my opinion !
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    I have a polar FT7 and love it. This is after I purchased two timex models and couldn't figure out how to get them to work. The FT7, was around a $100, but well worth it. It's simple to use, and to update, and seems to keep an accurate calorie count, it's also quite comfortable and easy to clean. I thought that my SIL was nuts when she told me to get this, but I am very pleased that I did. It's scarey to go by what my treadmill says I burned, it's about a 3rd more than what my HRM says. Good Luck! Lynn
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I also have the Polar FT4 and love it. Make sure the one you purchase has a chest strap for accuracy.
    Anything with the name Polar attached has a good reputation.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Polar FT7! I just bought one and am honestly addicted too it.. it's kinda sad! So easy to use/set up, and very accurate
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    I have SIGMA PC9 and I'm really glad I bought it. It's cheap but really accurate because of a chest strap. :)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Hey i have a cheap one from Lloyds Pharmacy which has a chest strap, suits me well for now may graduate on to a Polar later on.
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Im currently looking into upgrading an old HRM and have been doing some research.
    Work out what features you want.
    Do you want GPS included or a footpood to measure distance?
    Im looking into the Garmin FR60 which comes with a footpod.
    I also plan to upload my runs from the watch to my PC.
    I like the Polars but you need to purchase the polar Flowlink to transfer and data to your PC which is an extra $100 in Aus.
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    just bought a polar FT7 and into week 2 of using it, found it simple to use and I got it for a good price, you need to look for sales!!
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    I can't wait to use my HRM when I do the Relay for Life! I plan on burning several calories that night!....hopefully I won't also munch all night too:tongue:
This discussion has been closed.