Been on this site for year. Frustrated.

Options
I've been on this site for a couple of years. Every time I start logging my calories, I end up losing a lot of weight quickly, in fact, a lot quicker than myfitnesspal's estimate. Of course, somewhere down the line I always end up gaining it back.I This is because after about 3 months, I end up getting ravenous and eating everything in sight and I stop logging my calories. It's like my body is fighting back. I understand that losing weight too quickly can cause you to regain. The general advice is to lose weight slowly, if you want to keep it off. It's hard for me to lose weight slowly when I lose weight faster than I am supposed to based on myfitnesspal's estimated calories. I know that the common sense thing to do would be to raise my calories, but I guess I am afraid I will raise it too much and not lose any weight or lose weight TOO slowly. ANYWAY, I want to do this RIGHT this time!!! I am also thinking about using set point theory, which is the theory that our bodies have a set weight that it likes to be at, and when you lose more than 10% of your body weight, your body increases your appetite so you will regain the weight you lost and get back to your point. Anyway, I would like to lower my set point, by losing 10% at a time, and then going on maintenance for awhile, and then losing another 10% and so on... The problem is that the literature on set point says it takes about 6 months of maintenance to reset your set point. Ouch! That would take forever... I'm wondering if 2-3 months on maintenance would do the trick? Has anyone else had these problems? Anyone else tried the set point method or switched between weight loss/maintenance to increase their success?

Thanks!

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Losing weight quickly won't cause you to regain weight. Not establishing good and sustainable habits are the cause of you gaining weight (see you getting ravenous and not logging calories). Changing your habits takes time. If you don't make long term changes in your behavior you are always going to wind up back where you started.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Maintaining weight after a loss is tough. You really have to still be on point with your nutrition. It sounds to me like your weight loss diet plan is not sustainable. How many calories are you eating/day? What are your macros? If you cannot stick to your nutritional goals, then you need to change them. Hit me up if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you need to forget the set point stuff and lose more slowly by upping your calories. You pretty much said this in your post, and worrying that you won't lose if you eat slightly more is illogical. I think you're over thinking it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Did you eat up to your calorie goal every day? Did you weigh everything? Were you too strict on yourself (cutting out certain foods, never allowing yourself a cheat meal, etc)?

I haven't heard this set point theory before but I can't say I'm a fan. I don't like the idea that everyone has a 'perfect weight' or whatever anyway, and the fact that I as well as so many other people here lost a considerable amount of weight without issues like increased appetite and while just staying in a deficit for the whole time implies that it isn't true.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP up for a slow loss - 0.5-1lb per week - and monitoring that for a month to see if you lose at an OK rate. If you're losing too quickly, up your calories and remember that you have to up them quite a lot to suddenly put weight on or stop losing. Having a smaller deficit will make it easier to stay on track as well, because you can fit more things into your diet and are less likely to end up depriving yourself of anything.

Every 6-8 weeks, eat at maintenance for 1-2 weeks. Give yourself a diet break. You could do it to coincide with a holiday, or a week where everyone has a birthday! You should combat the increase in appetite or the "I want to eat forbidden foods" urges that come from eating at a big deficit for a long time. Just remember not to let maintenance drag out for longer, and not to treat it like an excuse to eat anything going!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't know how much validity the set point has. I don't know much about it, but it seems like its recommending eating at maintenance to balance hormonal/metabolic adjustments (adaptive thermogenesis) caused by dieting. Some people would suggests eating at maintenance every 6 months would be beneficial. When I was actively dieting, I was doing that for more of a sanity thing than anything else. But I don't think it needs to be for extended periods of time.

Additionally, I think the more inherent issue you are a facing, you aren't learning what foods you should eat to be able to maintain a deficit over prolonged periods of time. Whether or not you regain is based more on if you learn what and how much to eat, and what kind of habits you form. Honestly, why not set a smaller weight loss goal (maybe start at 1 - 1.5 lbs per week) and work on the quality/type of foods to ensure you are full more often.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Consistent logging day in and day out to help you build habits. New habits are what will keep you going for the long run.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Losing weight quickly won't cause you to regain weight. Not establishing good and sustainable habits are the cause of you gaining weight (see you getting ravenous and not logging calories). Changing your habits takes time. If you don't make long term changes in your behavior you are always going to wind up back where you started.
    +1

psulemon wrote: »
    I don't know how much validity the set point has. I don't know much about it, but it seems like its recommending eating at maintenance to balance hormonal/metabolic adjustments (adaptive thermogenesis) caused by dieting. Some people would suggests eating at maintenance every 6 months would be beneficial. When I was actively dieting, I was doing that for more of a sanity thing than anything else. But I don't think it needs to be for extended periods of time.

Additionally, I think the more inherent issue you are a facing, you aren't learning what foods you should eat to be able to maintain a deficit over prolonged periods of time. Whether or not you regain is based more on if you learn what and how much to eat, and what kind of habits you form. Honestly, why not set a smaller weight loss goal (maybe start at 1 - 1.5 lbs per week) and work on the quality/type of foods to ensure you are full more often.

+1
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You won't find much support for set point theory here, as there isn't much science to it.

But there is no problem with taking a break from dieting and going to maintenance. You can even increase your calories, but stay at a small deficit. Eat more and still lose weight.

If you always lose weight faster than the estimate, you should reassess your goal numbers based on this information. If you set the the MFP goal to 1lb per week, but lose 1.5 lbs per week over the course of a month or two, increase your goal by 250 calories. Reassess as needed to hit your goal rate.

Lastly, when you log are you overestimating your portions? Either intentionally or through estimation? This could also give you the results you are seeing (lose fast, get hungry, gain it back). Try to be as accurate as possible to make sure you get enough food while also losing at a reasonable rate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay so you are good at losing weight but not maintaining it...learn how to maintain.

Which is just like losing but with a few extra calories...not a lot of extra (unless you are exercising a lot) but a couple hundred maybe.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have tried to do this through sheer will power. Sorry for thinking that maybe there is a better way to approach this instead of just relying on my will alone.

Everyone else - thanks for the suggestions!

I think I will experiment with switching between maintenance/deficit and see if that helps me stay on track (but for much, much shorter periods of time than 6 months)

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A change in thinking has helped me. Before, when I wanted to lose weight it was more for looks and vanity. This time I am focusing on health. Losing weight is a big part of being healthy, but it is no longer the primary goal at the exclusion of being healthy. I do not eat perfectly, but more healthy than a year ago. Make gradual changes to your diet and stick with them 80%-95% of the time. Think about it as adding to your diet instead of depriving yourself. Add more fiber, nutrient dense food, lean protein, whole grains, low fat dairy gradually one goal at a time over the coarse of a few months. You will probably see lowered weight loss as you add stuff because you will naturally be less hungry for the higher calorie less nutrient dense foods. When you have the healthy stuff added then start tracking the calories, tightening up on the weights and measures of foods, logging correctly and the other good habits that lead to sustained weight loss.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    (edited) thanks for the suggestions everyone. I hope I am successful this time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of training your brain and eyes to understand what maintenance calories looks and feels like. If you calculate your maintenance calories at your goal weight, let's just say the calculators say that's 1700 calories without exercise, set your target calories to that. And then eat that (on average) every day. You'll lose weight fast at first, then slower as you get close to your goal weight. But what it teaches you is what your 1700 calories (for example) is, and that's the amount you eat on average every day forever.
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When the going gets tough you have to DIG IN and fight through it. Feeling ravenous? Eat a bunch of celery and carrots. Feeling full helps to fight making bad food choices. Get an accountability buddy... someone to call, email or text when you feel like you want to eat the world and check in. Also, keeping a good journal or creating a blog to document your journey may be just what you need. Good luck lady! <3
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is because after about 3 months, I end up getting ravenous and eating everything in sight and I stop logging my calories.

So don't do that.

I don't mean to be blunt, but it really is that simple. You have to be disciplined.

If you are getting hungrier, look through your food lots and make sure you're getting enough fiber and protein. And try not to be consistently too far under your calorie allowance.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no validity to the set point "theory" it's a marketing gimmick attached to weight loss products.

Focus on the long term and just make small sustainable choices. You'll make mistakes on the way, but just compensate for them later. Don't focus on the scale, but concentrate on your increased energy, endurance, strength, etc. Dropping the weight is a by-product of general wellness.

Now you've proven that you can make big changes in a short period of time. Making small changes over a long period is easier, yes?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have tried to do this through sheer will power. Sorry for thinking that maybe there is a better way to approach this instead of just relying on my will alone.

This is why quick fixes don't work, because they rely on strict plans and lots of will power. If you work on slow weight loss and changing habits then you won't have to exert as much will power because it will become your behavior "set point". You can do it!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of training your brain and eyes to understand what maintenance calories looks and feels like. If you calculate your maintenance calories at your goal weight, let's just say the calculators say that's 1700 calories without exercise, set your target calories to that. And then eat that (on average) every day. You'll lose weight fast at first, then slower as you get close to your goal weight. But what it teaches you is what your 1700 calories (for example) is, and that's the amount you eat on average every day forever.

I loved this! Never thought to see what I would be eating on maintence when I get to goal. It actually seem less daunting in the long run, seeing where I will be.