Hi everyone,my name is Santoshi Naidu, and I am trying to lose 50 lbs

Options
skotian7
skotian7 Posts: 15 Member
Hello everyone,

Trying desperately to lose 50 lbs, is this goal realistic?, I have heard positive feedbacks from a few of you.I have already been on this site for about 3 weeks now, but never introduced myself formally on this page, so hello and hope to make some new friends.

Santoshi.

Replies

• MrsAllyn
    MrsAllyn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi. Yes its realistic!!! My name is Allyn... I really need to shed 30-40lbs... I've lost 15 since April. To me its hard to stay motivated...but im trying.

Right now I'm trying very hard to eat right and workout. Add me as a friend and we can motivate each other
  • John_Hein
    John_Hein Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "How do eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time."

Oh yes, your goal is achievable. One day at a time, doing the right things.
  • saidiehawkins
    saidiehawkins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes it's reasonable depending on your current weight!
    I have already lost 32 lbs, and still have 58 to go!

Hello!
    If you'd like an accountability partner or just someone to talk to feel free to add me or message me.
  • skotian7
    skotian7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I think I have connected with each of you and you are in my friends list, like my good friend above said, 'one bite at a time', we're doing this!--thanks for all the encouraging words.
  • jazminturner22
    jazminturner22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 50lb too! My goal is to go from 195 to 145. It may take me half a year or more, but I know I can do it! And so can you (:
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Take it slow and easy. Keep your goals realistic, say 30 lbs during the first year. You should have a scale to weigh your food, and log everything you eat. Good luck!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd say so... I'm on my way to losing 100 pounds so far, just a few to go. After that, another 100 plus.

It can be a long haul, but if you're patient and diligent, you can do it.

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Santoshi, Have you ever had your fat % measured? It is hard to tell from your picture, but the image makes it look like maybe 50 lbs is too much. Many gyms offer fat % measurement, and some home scales too (with varying degrees of accuracy).

The amount of muscle we carry changes as we age. It's healthier to use fat % to set your end-goal than to use a weight you may have had in the past. For example in college I weighted 132-145 lbs. I currently weigh 220 lbs and estimate I need to lose around 70 lbs as a first approximation.

But, using fat % and making projections off my current weight, it is possible that 165 lbs will be my target to get optimal body composition. I won't be able to tell until I get closer to my goal. As we lose fat we tend also to lose some muscle mass, not because we aren't eating right but because we are not "weightlifting" the extra fat 24 hours a day. So I expect the real target will be between this estimate and my college weight, perhaps around 155 lbs. But I won't know for sure until I get closer to my target and re-measure my fat %.

Consider breaking your journey into sub-goals of 10 lbs or 20 lbs, whatever seems right to you. When you make your sub-goal, reassess your body composition and refine your estimate of where your final target weight should be.

If you had reliable fat % measurement at home then you could just use fat % the whole time, but it is hard to get consistent home measurements because hydration levels and how long you have been on your feet (affecting water distribution in your body) can throw the home-measurements off (see Withings scale website for an example of how that brand of scale is affected). Weight is easier to measure, and close enough for practicality. It's just good to compare weight to fat % once in a while to be sure you don't overshoot a healthy body composition and start losing muscle to no good purpose, pursuing a too-low weight.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Santoshi! Welcome to MFP. Yes, 50 lbs. is a very reasonable goal. If I may suggest that you might want to approach that 50 lbs. as a major goal and celebrate smaller losses (say every 5 or 10 lbs. lost)? That's what's worked for me and I think it made my 100+ lbs to lose seem more achievable. Best of luck! Hope to see you on here again!
  • kikilieb3
    kikilieb3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible! And I am trying to lose 69 pounds. Add me as a friend, we can do this together ^_^